• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DEG The Caravelle Flugelhorn information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: DEG The Caravelle Flugelhorn information Reply with quote

Hi you all, hope you all doing great. This is my first post on this forum, i would be thankful if someone gives me information about a Donald E Getzen The Caravelle flugelhorn, i recently purchased one of them, this flugelhorns valve block its horizontal just like a trumpet and the bell seems to be a one piece bell because it has a seam, the bell also is larger than the typical flugelhorn bell, it also appears to be a large bore flugel. Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english hh.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: DEG Flugelhorns Reply with quote

I worked with Don Getzen on the last flugelhorns produced at DEG in the late eighties. Those were Signature 2000 models and my design was produced until Don Getzen sold the company to his partner Mark Schaffer. DEG as a company was closed two years ago entirely.

The flugelhorn you inquired about was probably produced for DEG by Blessing in Elkhart, Indiana. Later on Don Getzen had flugelhorns produced with the name "Donald E. Getzen Signature" and they were made by Willson in Switzerland. Those had bottom sprung Bauerfeind valves which Willson owned at the time and Willson instruments were imported and distributed by DEG for North America.

I hope this helps,

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: DEG Flugelhorns Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I worked with Don Getzen on the last flugelhorns produced at DEG in the late eighties. Those were Signature 2000 models and my design was produced until Don Getzen sold the company to his partner Mark Schaffer. DEG as a company was closed two years ago entirely.

The flugelhorn you inquired about was probably produced for DEG by Blessing in Elkhart, Indiana. Later on Don Getzen had flugelhorns produced with the name "Donald E. Getzen Signature" and they were made by Willson in Switzerland. Those had bottom sprung Bauerfeind valves which Willson owned at the time and Willson instruments were imported and distributed by DEG for North America.

I hope this helps,

Tony Scodwell

Thanks a lot Mr Scodwell, the information its really helpful.
www.scodwellusa.com
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in the late 80's, so the dating sounds about right.
I remember it as being a student level horn, honestly I didn't enjoy playing it very much and I gave it to a multi-instrumentalist friend.
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I had one in the late 80's, so the dating sounds about right.
I remember it as being a student level horn, honestly I didn't enjoy playing it very much and I gave it to a multi-instrumentalist friend.

Could you please explain why you didnt enjoy the instrument ?
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend is giving me one. the Bell says Lake Geneva, Wis, USA. i assumed that it might be a student level horn. I don't have serial numbers or anything yet. [/img]
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one of these in the early seventies. It was okay as a player but I replaced it with a Getzen Eterna. I think that it was the sound that I didnt like much. It was well made and had a trigger on the first vale slide iirc. I sold it to a friend who loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: