• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High school high note Idol

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it sounds like everyone agrees - shape those young minds!! Fill their ears with greatness. That's step one.

The Incredibles with Waynard sitting in with Dowdeswell's (sp?) orchestra is stuff they should be able to relate to. Just as one example. Of absolutely stellar quality, on every part and at very step of the recording process.

While we're at it, let's thank our parents, those of us who did get exposed to great music by great players while very young. It's an irreplaceable advantage, but anytime someone gets turned on to something they love it makes life worthwhile.

And thanks to those teachers here who have done this, for countless people over many years!
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students really liked Joey Pero's version of Defying Gravity.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a college student a few years ago that I told to go listen to some recordings of a piece he was going to work on. The next week, I asked who he listened to. He said "Wynton Marsalis and some foreign guy". I asked for the name of the foreign guy and he said something like "Doc Sebinerin" or something like that.
So, I told him to put his horn away. I got out my phone and we spent the rest of the lesson watching You Tube videos of Doc Severinsen. I said "this is how a trumpet is supposed to sound".
#notinmystudio

This is a great topic. Back in the day, everybody knew Doc, Al Hirt, Harry James, Satchmo, etc. It's different these days. Neither of my kids play trumpet but they are aware, perhaps because they've personally met so many of the top players. My daughter will watch a movie with friends and will be very quick to point out key trumpet parts and who is playing them. I don't think her friends care, but I do.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of highschool kids like Louis Dowdeswell. He makes great arrangements and videos, and his playing is top-notch. With the prominence of Wynton Marsalis' Essentially Ellington competition, a lot of high school kids are into Wynton's playing and his big band albums with Jazz at the Lincoln Center.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the music in the world literally in their hands and they don't/won't access it.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
My students really liked Joey Pero's version of Defying Gravity.

GREAT SONG. I studied privately with Joey in the 2000's while he was based out of NJ. Wonderful player and even more wonderful human being. I was having some major chop issues at the time, brought on by well-meaning teachers and boy did he sort me out. In terms of range, yes, he is a monster. He had me doing scales using alternate fingerings up to DHC and back down. Smoothed my entire range out, got rid of the breaks and I still use the alternate fingerings he showed me when I play up there.
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a thought on this... When I was a high schooler and middle school student in the 80's we still had vinyl albums and CD's were just coming on the scene around 1982. BUT!!! EVEN CD's HAD LINER NOTES with the personnel that played on the album or sometimes just tracks certain tracks had line up changes or extra musicians. In the advent of downloading from iTunes or Android store I am positive this is no longer a thing. Am I wrong? Even if a kid heard a great artist unless you can easily find the player and side men line up its hard to listen to more of that player and learn his or her style. What has replaced liner notes in the download era? Especially when downloading only 1 track from a body of work (album)
marathoner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in High School , Chase came out with his 1st album. I went to concerts in person 4 or 5 times in the Suburban Chicago the next 2 years. Amazes me today that these fantastic groups played in High School Gyms or High School Auditoriums for their concerts.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:
When I was in High School , Chase came out with his 1st album. I went to concerts in person 4 or 5 times in the Suburban Chicago the next 2 years. Amazes me today that these fantastic groups played in High School Gyms or High School Auditoriums for their concerts.

That's amazing that you actually were able to see Bill Chase live more than once. Did you ever have the opportunity to actually meet him?
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
I have a thought on this... When I was a high schooler and middle school student in the 80's we still had vinyl albums and CD's were just coming on the scene around 1982. BUT!!! EVEN CD's HAD LINER NOTES with the personnel that played on the album or sometimes just tracks certain tracks had line up changes or extra musicians. In the advent of downloading from iTunes or Android store I am positive this is no longer a thing. Am I wrong? Even if a kid heard a great artist unless you can easily find the player and side men line up its hard to listen to more of that player and learn his or her style. What has replaced liner notes in the download era? Especially when downloading only 1 track from a body of work (album)

The YouTube recommendation algorithm is a wonderful thing, for musicians long gone and musicians up and coming. And anybody with curiosity can do a simple Google search and find out all they want to know. I was turned on to Takuya Kuroda through that algorithm recently. And there's more than enough links to his history and side men and collaborators. You don't really need liner notes anymore.

The question becomes then does the teacher need to find out from kids who is popular with them or does the teacher say, "Hey, dig this!"
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't really need liner notes anymore.

I understand your position but there was so much more information on those liner notes than just personnel. A lot of the notes had the location where it was recorded the equipment used in very detailed manner for example The kind of microphones used the mixing board, the actual specifications of the instruments used, thank you’s, dedications, performance insights and nuances that might help you perform a piece. We often see posts on here of what horn did so and so play on the recording “xyz” a lot of classical albums had that info in the liner notes either as a sponsor comment or as information. I mourn for the liner notes. Google can’t do everything!! And I don’t think kids today will make the effort to search it out unless super interested. I do think it’s a teacher’s responsibility to say “dig this” but also be relevant to today’s listening patterns and possibly incorporate the two. The example that comes to mind is a kid is listening to a current rapper but the teacher says check out the Sugar Hill Gangs rappers delight, it started it all and let me know if year hear any similarities. ( that’s real educational and applied learning and critical thinking) I had teachers like that.
E_Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: High Note High Range Idol Reply with quote

I'm speaking from experience, here. I'm a high school senior, but I think I know of a few more lead players than the rest. Most of us know about Wayne and, here at least, we've all seen Arturo's performance of A Night In Tunisia with the Marine Corps Band (the double high E is an attention grabber).

For me, my favorites are Arturo, Wayne, Louis, Cat Anderson, and Maynard. Also, I took my warm-up advice from a video of Eric Miyashiro. Another favorite(s) of mine is the lead players of the 2019 Blue Devils: Angelo Laberinto, Alan Hester, and Malik Neille (amazing players). DCI headcams are getting pretty popular on YouTube.

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my trumpet-playing high school-age son accesses all sorts of music online. To date, he favors other types of music but he doesn't spend a lot of time listening to high note trumpet playing. Though he does really dig the Wayne Bergeron stuff I've turned him onto (Kubis, GGBPB, Incredibles soundtrack).
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
SteveDurand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in high school in the early seventies. At the time, bands with horn sections were popular and you would hear them regularly on top 40 radio.
For about 3 months you'd hear Chase's "get it on" about every 1/2 hour. They'd also play Maynard's version of "Macarthur Park".

Those were the only "high note" players that I new, but everybody new of them. They were just part of the overall fabric of popular music.

Now I think people have a lot more choices in music but you kind of have to seek out what you like and bands with trumpets don't permeate the atmosphere like they did then.

Steve
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marathoner wrote:

Yep, I saw Chase in concert at Wheeling High School in suburban Chicago around 1971, their opening band was REO Speedwagon. Oddly enough, some kids in the audience liked REO better than Chase....not me though!

Brad
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to see Chase live three times while I was in high school. One of the concerts was at a high school not too far away, and our band director took the trumpet section to the show. We were in awe when he took us backstage to meet his former bandmate, "Billy Chiaiese."

"Hi Bill, good too see you."
"Great to see you too, Bill!"

Our high school band director (also named Bill) had played drums in a National Guard band with Billy Chiaiese (Chase) in the 1950's. We all liked our band director, but he gained many respect points in the eyes of the trumpet section when we learned that he knew, and had played with, Bill Chase. We were also impressed when he could pop out a high C on demand, with no preparation at all, back when we were all working very hard to own that same note. Not bad for a drummer!

I always did my best to get close to the stage, and to sit directly on-axis to the trumpet, whenever I saw Chase, Ferguson, Biviano, or the Buddy Rich band, in those days. I was trying to pay attention, and learn something, but it was hard to avoid simply letting the glorious sound wash over me.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
OldHorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing the venues Chase played around Chicago. I would see the band on multiple occasions, but the worst gig I saw was playing a Sante Fe Speedway in Willow Springs, IL. It was a dirt oval track, that night featuring stock cars. Chase was the opening act before the race but there were drivers taking practice laps while the band played. I really feel bad the guys that night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: