• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spiral binding for my Arban.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Spiral binding for my Arban. Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get my Arban printed edition spiral bound? Office Depot told me they would have to destroy the book (margins ) to spiral bind it.
LCM
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you cut the binding off yourself, you could have them bind the now-loose-leaf pages. I did mine with a woodworking bandsaw, and then used a drill to three-hole "punch" the pages. Not recommended, this came out pretty ragged.

I've wondered what would happen if you ran a bookbinding through a deli slicer. Or what the person at the counter would say if you asked.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine St Jacome's done years ago at an OfficeDepot or OfficeMax. I'd already had all my regular smaller books done without incident. Unfortunately they were a little off their game for the big book and they cut much too deep and cut into the music losing some of the time signatures and key signatures on every other page. I was seriously torqued. If it was a new book I just would have bought a new one but my copy has all my teacher's hand-written notes in it.

If they can't guarantee the cut, find another shop.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I routinely bring my students book to STAPELS with no problems. jw
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious: Have you considered using Arban on a tablet? It is public domain and can be downloaded for free. I use my iPad for just about all my music.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
Just curious: Have you considered using Arban on a tablet? It is public domain and can be downloaded for free. I use my iPad for just about all my music.

John

Ditto!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could avoid problems by carefully disassembling the book yourself. And then cutting the individual sheets into single pages. Then collate into correct page order.
First remove the portion of the cover that is over the actual binding, and then separate the bound sections.
Trying to 'slice off' the binding could easily lose 1/4 of paper.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your task might be a two-part job:

1) A medium to large size print company would have a paper slicer that could make a clean cut as close to the existing binding edge as possible, maybe even in a single pass.

2) Once you have the individual pages, Staples or Office Depot would be able to punch rectangular hole and comb-bind the product or punch round holes and spiral-bind it.

I find that spiral binding is more durable, but comb binding is easier to remove and replace, should you wish to remove or add additional pages.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spiral binding for my Arban. Reply with quote

MalinTrumpet wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get my Arban printed edition spiral bound? Office Depot told me they would have to destroy the book (margins ) to spiral bind it.
LCM

I took mine to Office Depot and they sliced off the glue binding only. Reduced the gutter by about an eighth-inch. No problem with the margin. The only problem is my Arban is 12 inches and they didn't center the 11-inch comb so there is more space at the beyond bottom of the comb than at the top.

Find someone who knows what they're doing.

Kent
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEd-Ex (Kinkos) stores are an alternative
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinko's rebound my ancient Arban book decades ago. They cleanly sliced the thin edge of the glued binding off, punched holes along the edge, and installed a plastic comb binding strip. Done in less than 5 minutes and it has lasted 30 years. I left out some pages I would never play and kept all the exercises and characteristic studies. This made the book lighter, thinner, and more useful to me. Clarke Tech Studies book rebound at the same time.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a locally owned print shop near me. I had a 1936 printing of the Arban's copied and spiral bound there. I got the copy on 8x14 to allow for notes. The margins of the original are good still. Because I've a working copy on the stand, I can have the originals on a shelf enduring no stress.
I use them for most downloaded materials Agnas Flows, much of the Qpress material. Different from the Kinko experience there is a better selection of papers and binding options. This is all they do too so, fo me, they're worth looking into.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had most of my books spiral bound and had the front and back covers laminated too and it has made them more durable.

When I first had it done the lady at Kinkos now FedEx Print Center cut-off way too much of the binding and destroyed some of the markings from Claude Gordon and the actual music. You have to be really specific with whoever does it. It still makes me mad.

You can have your books scanned. I bought brand new books and paid 1dollarscan to do a bunch of books. I did a combination of that and scanning them myself to get my entire library into pdf a few years ago. I am easily over 50,000 pages.

Another advantage of the scanning is the OCR that makes text searchable. For example, I had a giant anthology of brass playing magazine articles that I don’t have time to read but I can quickly search them. The disadvantage of 1dollarscan is that you don’t get the book back without paying extra and the binding has been cut. I just decided to let them trash a bunch of stuff after it was scanned. I kept all my most treasured collectible stuff or bought a copy to scan.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
callee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative suggestion: call up the graduate students office of your closest university. Masters and doctoral students all have to get their theses or dissertations bound, and the student offices should keep a list of binding shops in the area. For just a little bit more money, you could have your book handsomely hardcover bound.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is from 1958, its a basket case........

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: