• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ear Training Courses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uniquetrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Ear Training Courses Reply with quote

Just wondering if you would have any suggestions for ear training studies. I believe Aeborsold has a volume on it and there is always that funny looking guy who advertises his course in Down Beat Magazine.

In general are college "ear training Courses" helpful?

Thanks
junkyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some ear training in theory classes in college, but the two things that have help me the most are:

1. Singing everything I play. When I practice, I sing each line/exercise before I play it, and check my starting pitch with the piano. Not only is this great ear training but it also forces you to rest as much as you play.

2. Playing phrases with a friend with call-and-response. You play a phrase and your friend as to play it back to you, and vice versa.

Give these a try and see how it works. For me, my ears and pitch and intonation improved almost immediately.

Good luck!
Jason
JAZZ-PLAYER-COLLECTOR
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing ALL the scales, arpeggios and licks you want in your repetoir on a regular basis. The post above is right on.

Also make a tape to listen to and sing along with. Record it with a piano (you may need to get a piano playing friend to do this for you). Record all the chords and then the appropriate scales for use with them. Record them seperately, then together so your ear learns to connect the sound of the chords with their scales. You can even do this with any favorite licks that you want to learn. With a well designed tape, you can listen and even sing along hundreds (or even thousands) of times. You can't beat that!

Of course, transcribing solos is always a great exercise.

Sing arpeggios, scales and licks in the car or while walking, etc... Try to finger the notes while doing this (even without a trumpet in your hands) to make sure you really keep track of what the notes are.

Practice hearing music in your mind without any singing, humming, whistling, or anything audible at all. One can meditate in bed before falling asleep at night and do any of these exercises as well. If you do this, the musical ideas will kind of bubble around in your head all night.

These are just a few ideas... Your only limitations are your own creativity and motivation. So get busy!

Tom in Texas
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an outstanding book called "Jazz Ears" by Thom Mason. It is a comprehensive ear training program designed for jazz musicians and includes a CD full of exercises from the text. It covers all the scales, intervals, chords, progressions, as well as rhythm and articulation.

Ear training is definitely benficial. With enough practice, it will allow you to look at a piece of music and hear it playing in your head. Conversely, if you hear a piece of music, you will recognise what is going on in the tune. If you are able to accurately pre-hear a piece of written music, you are less likely to make mistakes like cracked notes, it will work wonders for your transcribing, and if you are an improviser, it will help you to accurately transfer the melodies you hear in your head to your instrument.

Rob
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teachers (and piano genius) here in Louisville, Mr. Harry Pickens, has a great book out that is also VERY cheap. Definitely worth checking out, here is the link:

http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Y&Category_Code=EARTRABOO
1950/60's Couesnon Monopole Flugel
sweets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun -- you can find out how good you are, plus it's free:
http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_trainer.aspx
daisie678

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listed this training course's name first, It seems interesting will you guys please tell me more about this ear training courses is the basic purpose and where can I do this course in USA NY.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daisie678 wrote:
I listed this training course's name first, It seems interesting will you guys please tell me more about this ear training courses is the basic purpose and where can I do this course in USA NY.

I don't understand, what is the goal here? Do you think people will read this baloney in a 12-year-old-thread (!) and think, "Oh, I should click this spammy link in the signature"? Last time someone did this, the whole thread got deleted, useful posts and all.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: