• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is Solfeggio?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:10 am    Post subject: What is Solfeggio? Reply with quote

Hi
I found this TPIN comment from Derek Reaban in 2002. Can anyone help me and explain what is the Solfeggio approach when it comes to the trumpet and high notes? - thanks.

Quote:
Extremely soft playing is crucial to developing response as well as developing and controlling a small aperture necessary for playing efficiently in the upper register (many players discuss this, but I think I would site Jim Thompson and Herbert L. Clarke as my primary references). Then "connect with the horn on a relaxed level everyday" (Chris Gekker's words). Find and discover how to arrive at the pitch center of each note (this allows a big vibrant sound for a fraction of the air required to play off center, and we all play somewhat off center until this concept is learned and applied) (I reference Charlie Schlueter as a well known name advocating this, although I know that all really great players do this). When playing long lines of music or etudes, always stay above the "Zero Pressure" line to assure no tension is introduced by playing down too far on the air supply in the lungs (i.e. never "empty the lungs" when playing music, play above the point where you feel the need to "push" the air out) (this is all Arnold Jacobs). Hear the sound in your head (more Jacobs, and great players of his era). Solfeggio will help more than anything else that I have found to make this happen. Rest as much as you play and practice in short sessions with sufficient time between sessions (Eddie Lewis, Greg Alley, as well as the some of the greats: Maurice Andre, Conrad Gozzo).

Derek was posting cos, as he writes:

Quote:
It took me 28 years to arrive at this note! I played a great G major scale last night and with very little effort, I arrived easily on the top G. And it was glorious! The sound was relaxed and easy, just like the lower octave!

cheers and stay safe Steve in Helsinki
Skanker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching this short video (I assume it's the same Jacobs as referenced in the quote), it seems to be a general approach i.e. not just high notes -

https://www.windsongpress.com/jacobs/tptv/TPTV%20-%20Arnold%20Jacobs%20SOLF%C3%88GE.mp4
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solfege is singing note names. Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti (sometimes Si?) Do. This helps you to establish a pitch in your mind while singing to help connect faster and improve your pitch accuracy.

Even just singing on one nonsense syllable can have a dramatic positive effect on your playing.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What is Solfeggio? Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
... what is the Solfeggio approach when it comes to the trumpet and high notes? ...

-------------------------------------------------------
You probably already know the basics of solfeggio, but ---
My understanding is that 'Solfeggio' is the 'do re mi fa sol ....' method of assigning a specific syllable to the pitch of each notes. This is done for training recognition of the notes, and a way of singing the notes.

Its use in trumpet playing would to be help the player to 'internally conceive' the proper pitch of a note. I doubt that the oral production of the solfeggio syllable is involved in trumpet playing. I don't know of a specific use of solfeggio that is strictly for high notes.
edit: since the harmonic partials are very near each other in the high range, developing a more accurate 'internal conception' of the pitch for the desired note would be more valuable for the high range.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Solfeggio? Reply with quote

[quote="steve0930"]Hi
I found this TPIN comment from Derek Reaban in 2002. Can anyone help me and explain what is the Solfeggio approach when it comes to the trumpet and high notes? - thanks.

Quote:
Extremely soft playing is crucial to developing response as well as developing and controlling a small aperture necessary for playing efficiently in the upper register (many players discuss this, but I think I would site Jim Thompson and Herbert L. Clarke as my primary references). Then "connect with the horn on a relaxed level everyday" (Chris Gekker's words). Find and discover how to arrive at the pitch center of each note (this allows a big vibrant sound for a fraction of the air required to play off center, and we all play somewhat off center until this concept is learned and applied) (I reference Charlie Schlueter as a well known name advocating this, although I know that all really great players do this). When playing long lines of music or etudes, always stay above the "Zero Pressure" line to assure no tension is introduced by playing down too far on the air supply in the lungs (i.e. never "empty the lungs" when playing music, play above the point where you feel the need to "push" the air out) (this is all Arnold Jacobs).

I think we are confusing solfeggio with soto voce.

Quote:
Hear the sound in your head (more Jacobs, and great players of his era). [b]Solfeggio will help more than anything else that I have found to make this happen.

This is solfeggio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: