• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New short cornet mouthpiece design by Greg Black

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: New short cornet mouthpiece design by Greg Black Reply with quote

I have a FB friend who is a pro player and does some brass band playing. For the past four months or so he has been using a newly designed short cornet mouthpiece by Greg Black that he says is so pure sounding, so balanced and consistent. The beautiful tone my friend is getting from this piece truly validates his statement.

Here is what Greg Black says about this new design. “These mouthpieces feature our stock rim sizes and shapes and currently are paired with our "B" (shallowest), "A", and "UK" cup sizes. The "A" cup features a more American Sousa sound while the "UK" was designed with the British style brass band in mind but with more stability and better intonation without sounding too fluffy. The "B" cup has been popular so far for soloists in the larger rim sizes as well as Eb cornetist paired with our 7 or 10 size rim. This has been a very fun project with superb results! Feel free to contact the shop for more details.”

My FB friend says the UK cup has become his favorite mouthpiece for brass band playing, however he has all three cup sizes, and they are all really fine designs. I am curious what others who have tried or are using this new short cornet piece have to say about it.

I thank you in advance for your input.

-1957Tim
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cornet players!

When I posted the above post, this new short cornet mouthpiece by Greg Black was a fairly new design, so I’m assuming that’s why no one replied. Now, almost a year later I’m wondering if this piece has made it’s way into your cornet case, and if so, what your thoughts might be about it? I thank you in advance for sharing.

-1957Tim
J. Landress Brass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stock them in my store and think they are absolutely fabulous!
646-922-7126
www.jlandressbrass.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Curry BBC mouthpiece. Id like to try a Greg Black mouthpiece eventually to see how it compares to a 2BBC maybe a 1.5 uk
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TH cornet players!

It’s been almost two years since my first inquiring post concerning the then newly designed short shank cornet mouthpiece by Greg Black. As you can see, I didn’t receive feedback from any TH players who were using them, but Josh Landress did say his store had them in stock and thought they were fabulous.

In June 2022, I had Josh Landress send me the Greg Black 3B short shank piece. It quickly became my favorite mouthpiece as it not only produced a beautiful tone, it also presented me with the best range and endurance of any cornet mouthpiece I had tried to date.

My FB friend who first recommended Greg’s short shank mouthpieces had told me the UK piece had become his favorite of the three, so in January of this year I called and visited with one of the guys at Greg Black’s place about the UK piece. He said since the 3B piece had worked so well for me, he would not hesitate in recommending the UK piece, so I had him send me one. My bandmaster prefers the UK piece over the 3B as it produces the better BBB sound. I have several UK style mouthpieces that I’ve used, however, this Greg Black piece quickly became my favorite. Very much like the 3B, it not only produces a beautiful tone, but it also gave me the best range and endurance of my UK style pieces.

I wanted to share my experience here in case you are looking for an upgrade to what you may be using. Of course, we all know that mouthpieces, like horns, may work well for one while not so well for another. Nevertheless, I found the advice of my FB friend to be spot on.

Be blessed my friends,

-1957Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: