• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Victor Paz and Question to Charly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was studying with Carmine Victor Paz was his prize student and he would use Victor to demostrate his drills in forums, master classes, etc. For those of you unfamiliar with Victors work, he is a phenoenal trumpeter, he arrived in NY from Panama and for years did all of the best work (I think he was the lead player on Cats) and is now from what I understand back in his home country.
I heard Victor do things like the interval studies in 2nds and take it up to triple C on the 1st setting. Developed scales easily to double C's. He was amazing. Charly, did you know Kurt Ranno? It was Kurt that introduced me to Carmine and got me to start going to see him. we were classmates at NYCOM and he was a very good trumpeter. I think he was one of the first people to put Carmines drills on paper.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

I have an Eddie Palmieri album recorded in the 70's, I think, where Victor Paz solos up to an A over Double C and then comes down, down, down to the low range. And all very fluid and connected. I asked Carmine once who he thought had the loudest double C and he said Victor Paz. That was good enough for me. I started using his model mouthpiece, a Bach 10-3/4CW. Used it for about 14 years.

I've never heard of Kurt Ranno. Is he still with us?
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of Kurt Ranno. Is he still with us?

I would think so although I have not run into him since my college years, he is probably stil playing around NY is my guess...........does anyone know him?
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Ranno is alive and well. He is no longer active in the music business. He studied with Carmine in the 60's and 70's. He was quite a good player. Kurt was vice-president of the 6 Note Pub.Co., Inc.

Tom Barreca
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-10-26 12:59, tomba51 wrote:
Kurt Ranno is alive and well. He is no longer active in the music business. He studied with Carmine in the 60's and 70's. He was quite a good player. Kurt was vice-president of the 6 Note Pub.Co., Inc.

Tom Barreca

thanks to you Tom I got back in touch with Kurt after some 30+ years......I have invited him to particioate in this forum I am sure he would have some valuable insights regardless of weather not he is playing now.......
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite recorded Paz was on the CTI recordings of Deodato.

I remember Carmine telling me that Victor had gotten to the point where he played 6 notes, all of his intervals for a given day (up to double C), the harmonics, tonguing exercise, 10 or 12 lines from the clarinet book and at least one of the pedal studies plus the associated chromatic scale in one setting (which took about 45 minutes of face time)!
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Paz is also credited as being on the Dizzy Gillespie/Machito album _Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods_.

Did Victor Paz play on other Machito records? That would make a good excuse to chase 'em down...
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor Paz was also lead trumpet on the late night Dick Cavett show. The band was led by the drummer Bobby Rosengarden. I was studying with Ray Crisara at the time, who also played in that band. Joe Wilder was a member of the section, and if I remember correctly the other trumpet player was Virgil Jones. I remember watching the Cavett show so that I could hear several seconds of the band playing when they went into or came back from a commercial break.

Tom Barreca
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor was also Mario Bauza's Music Director.
We did Guys and Dolls together.
Victor introduced me to the latin scene in the late 70's.
Man,did we have fun:D
Victor also played on some of the Village People dates in those years.
He is one wonderful guy and a good trumpet player to boot.
Wilmer
Pam Fleming

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Victor Paz NOW????
LAF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor is alive and well in Panama---the panama jazz festival honored him this year. I am teaching one of his students and we have fun sharing Vitin stories
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember Carmine telling me that Victor had gotten to the point where he played 6 notes, all of his intervals for a given day (up to double C), the harmonics, tonguing exercise, 10 or 12 lines from the clarinet book and at least one of the pedal studies plus the associated chromatic scale in one setting (which took about 45 minutes of face time)!

"In one setting" meaning he didn't remove the horn from his face, just nose breathing?? WOW!
Rosskon1

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: The Great Victor Paz Reply with quote

I first played next to Victor in 1977 for a Liza Minnelli Broadway show called The Act, following which he and I went on tour with Liza for about two years. I studied with Carmine in 1972 for about a year but got nothing much from it. Victor told me he finally did nothing but the six notes all throughout the day, no intervals anymore. Then in 1982 we got Cats together where he stayed for about 12 of the 18 years before leaving to return to Panama. During that 12 years be brought me into the Mario Bauza Afro Cuban Jazz Orchestra where he was in his element. He is an astonishing player and NEVER misses a note. I swear, he has never missed a note that I can recall after having played second trumpet for him for over 15 years in a row!!! Plus he is hilarious once he starts in on something. I love the guy!!
Ross
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam Fleming wrote:
Where is Victor Paz NOW????

I just found out that Victor "Vitín Paz" passed away today. It is a sad day for all Latin-American trumpet players as we have lost arguably one of its most important figures. i wonder if ITG could give him a posthumous award during this coming virtual conference.
Here is some of his work:

Luis M. Araya[url] https://youtu.be/HbJ0Hmyv4YY[/url]
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP to one of the greatest legends of the Caruso system.
Pam Fleming

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VITIN. . .
I am very sad to learn of the death of the amazing Trumpet Player: Victor "Vitin" Paz...
I met Vitin in the '80's. I was able to sub on Barnum a few times, because he believed in me, and recommended me, without even hearing me play. After that, we played duets a couple of times. What a giant of a trumpet player. Beautiful tone - great ideas! The world will miss you, Vitin...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: