• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another older man looking for a horn.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Since you are in Chiba, take a trip to Tokyo. In Ochanomizu there are a number of used brass shops. You can play horns to your heart's delight. You can perhaps negotiate some kind of warranty, but not much. You can find other shops with used horns in Shibuya, Shinjuku and elsewhere and try horns. Japan is the best place I know of for shopping for used horns. You can find some really good ones at reasonable prices. It is a great place to buy. And yes, there are good prices on Yamahas but also even on US made horns. The great thing is being able to try horns. Not sure how that will be now, but I am sure something can be worked out.
If you need specific shops and locations, please PM me and I will give them to you. If others are interested, I can post them here.
I always take a horn shopping day whenever I am in Japan. Looking forward to being able to go again.
Example: I got the Schilke X3L in my signature quite inexpensively in a shop in Tokyo. The valves were not even broken in -- like new. I guess someone had bought a really nice horn for a child or something. Hardly played, stored for many years and then consigned.

Great advice. For mellower demeanor I would look at Bach 72 (standard weight) Getzen 3051, Yamaha 8310Z (a chameleon horn) or maybe 8335RL. Benge 5X or Burbank 5*, Kanstul 1503 (think Bach 72). Happy hunting.
awajazz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Thank you all! Reply with quote

Wow,

I have never thought that my question would generate all of these responses. They are all informative and valuable. I am extremely grateful for those who welcomed me here and put in the time and effort to address my questions.

There is a lot to digest. Like a good stew, I will put all of this information into the pressure cooker of my mind and let it simmer for a while.

As for shopping, I will indeed go into town later next week and try to establish a relationship with a number of stores, feel them out, see who is responsive to my questions and needs, who is open to establishing a relationship. Most importantly, to see who would be open to an option of a trade-in for a different horn, if the time arises.

Philosophically, I am looking at this as a journey, one of many I have taken in my life. This horn will be my companion for this journey. I know that there is horn waiting for me.

One goal I have is to be able to read and play a lead sheet and play a reasonably acceptable solo.

However, most important for me is the process; learning the technique, practicing chops, making mistakes and learning from them, getting together with like hearted players and most of all, having fun.

I will still be on this forum and you may see me in other areas once I get settled in.

With much gratitude to all,

Bill
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is exactly the kind of spirit, attitude, and approach that gives me faith in the long term viability of music as more than just pleasant noise in the background of our daily lives.

Good luck in your search and enjoy your journey.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S Koons said:
Quote:
When you start your comeback you won't have the range, endurance or flexibility (or anything else) that you will have after you play for a while. So you won't feel small differences in the horns.

Not that it matters a lot, but I thought that was what I said, more or less...at least we agree and I think Jay Kostas did, too.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:

Not that it matters a lot, but I thought that was what I said, more or less...at least we agree and I think Jay Kostas did, too.

----------------------------
yes
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
awajazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

I was able to find in Tokyo a used Yamaha YTR-8335US which is a Japan domestic release model. It dates to the early 1990's. However, it is in very fine condition (no dents, not rot, quite pristine) and the store took a few days to clean it up. The sales clerk recommended a Bach 7C mouthpiece. It all (trumpet, mouthpiece, cleaning kit and case) came within my budget.

I wish to express my gratitude for all of you who took the time to contribute your wisdom, suggestions, and opinions.

Now on to playing it without bothering the dogs too much.

Thanks again,

Bill
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, very versatile and efficient choice ...

The 7C make the Yammie sound great, i tried a bunch Yamaha and Monette mpcs and ended with the 7C.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

awajazz wrote:
I was able to find in Tokyo a used Yamaha YTR-8335US which is a Japan domestic release model. It dates to the early 1990's. However, it is in very fine condition (no dents, not rot, quite pristine) and the store took a few days to clean it up. The sales clerk recommended a Bach 7C mouthpiece. It all (trumpet, mouthpiece, cleaning kit and case) came within my budget.

Bill

And my apologies for never getting the shop list together. Life got hold of me. Glad you found one. Which shop did you buy from? Probably worth a visit.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
awajazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
awajazz wrote:

Bill

And my apologies for never getting the shop list together. Life got hold of me. Glad you found one. Which shop did you buy from? Probably worth a visit.

No problem. I guessed that you were busy and I was able to get a listing of shops that are active in Ochanomizu.

Long story short, I was not able to find what I wanted in Ochanomizu, so I went to Shibuya to a place called Ikebe-gakki Trumpet Station:

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/realshop/trumpetstation/index.html

Pictures of the shop are quite accurate.

The stock of used trumpets was larger and more diverse. On the opposite wall from the Yamahas and Bachs was a Martin Committee among others which were way out of my price range.

The difference I felt is that in Ochanomizu, many people are there for window shopping and sales staff treats them as such. This place seems more serious, the sales clerk, on understanding that I can converse in Japanese, was attentive and helpful. While ringing up, I asked if he could give me a discount as I was buying a bunch of stuff, he gave me 8% off.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

awajazz wrote:

Long story short, I was not able to find what I wanted in Ochanomizu, so I went to Shibuya to a place called Ikebe-gakki Trumpet Station:

That is probably the best trumpet shop I know of. As you say great staff, particularly if you can speak Japanese. I remember going in there and trying out about 5 or 6 C trumpets one time, and a bunch of flugelhorns another. I have yet to buy something from them, but have been severely tempted. The one thing about the shops in Ochanomizu is sometimes they have some real gems if you know what you are looking for. I found my Schilke X3L in one of them, but that shop seems to have switched away from brass now.
There is one that almost has as big a selection in Shinjuku too as I recall.
Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha horns.
I do not know that particular horn, but did a quick search. It seems they go for a reasonable price for anything in the Xeno line. I hope you enjoy it. You can always find trumpets like that that have hardly been used but are 20 to 30 years old in Japan. I have always thought that they were bought for some student that soon quit, stuck away for years and finally sold. But who knows.
awajazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:

The one thing about the shops in Ochanomizu is sometimes they have some real gems if you know what you are looking for. I found my Schilke X3L in one of them, but that shop seems to have switched away from brass now.

Yes, I was quite sad to see that Ochanomizu has seemed to have lost some of the Showa era feeling. Shops seem to be focusing on guitars a lot.

cgaiii wrote:

There is one that almost has as big a selection in Shinjuku too as I recall.

I think that it moved to Shibuya as Shinjuku is not listed on their homepage.

cgaiii wrote:

I hope you enjoy it.

I am sure that I will.

Thanks,

Bill
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My horn arrived today! Reply with quote

awajazz wrote:

I think that it moved to Shibuya as Shinjuku is not listed on their homepage.

In Shinjuku there is 大久保管楽器店 (Okubo Kan Gakki) (https://www.okubogakki.com/) which has a pretty large selection
and Dac with fairly large selections as well as a couple of others that have smaller selections. Some quite hard to find. But you are good with your Yamaha, so it is all moot unless you get the itch again.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone just entertained reading this thread, I find myself wondering if the density of shops where one can try out a variety of horns is as good as it sounds in this? Japan is a lot smaller than the United States, and this sounds like there are almost as many good opportunities there. Am I reading that right?

(I was going to ask if it is a great place for a trumpet player to live, but I realize that question goes way beyond ability to try out horns)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
awajazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
As someone just entertained reading this thread, I find myself wondering if the density of shops where one can try out a variety of horns is as good as it sounds in this? Japan is a lot smaller than the United States, and this sounds like there are almost as many good opportunities there. Am I reading that right?

(I was going to ask if it is a great place for a trumpet player to live, but I realize that question goes way beyond ability to try out horns)

To answer the first question in regards getting to places to shop for horns. I think so. It is easy to get around Tokyo. Public transportation is fast, clean, easy to understand, now thanks to improvements for the anticipated Olympics in 2020, much more 'international'. Of those areas that were mentioned mentioned, each is is less than 30 minutes to get to from each other. I could have visited all spots in one day if I tried.

For your second question, I can only answer when I was trying out the saxophone. Not too good. Apartments are cramped, close together, and even with my electric piano, neighbors would complain about the sound of the keyboard. In one place where I lived, horn players would go to the river side and blow outward to the water. Not the best situation in the winter.

Now, I live in the countryside and there is no problem playing a horn as it would just add to the sounds of grass cutters, chain saws, etc. No one would know nor complain.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Echoing Bill here. Great place to shop for horns; not so great a place to practice without some noise reduction technology or rental practice space. It is pretty obvious why Yamaha came up with Silent Brass. On the other hand, there are lots of professional and amateur musicians practicing all over Japan. There is a kind of practice infrastructure and room rentals with good soundproofing.
When I lived in Japan, I mostly lived in the country too, so it did not matter. But practicing with groups (I was mostly playing bluegrass at the time), we almost always got a room in town. Housing tends to be fairly small and not so accommodating to musical activities when living in a city.
Bill is probably more familiar with recent trends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: