• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton T714S Phil Driscoll Mighty Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNDrums

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Holton T714S Phil Driscoll Mighty Horn Reply with quote

I have a chance to pick up a Holton Mighty Horn, but haven't been able to find out much about it. The serial number is 116375, but when I look at all the serial number guides it doesn't work - if I'm reading the HoltonLoyalist guide correctly, that would put it somewhere in 1935! It's silver, model 714S USA on the 2nd valve casing, Amado water keys. I haven't discussed price with the owner, who is not a player, but bought it used for his son quite a few years ago.Does anyone know anything about these horns?
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 714 was a single-batch custom produced horn in the last years of Holton. After 1981, serial numbers have no meaningful sequence, and in this case, the horn is from 2 decades later.

These are such an odd-ball I have not even included them in my Holton Model Guide at trumpet-history.com and horn-u-copia.net.

The asking price for the couple of horns that have come on the market through EBay is quite high, and the bulk of the individual elements of construction such as the Courtois valves, receiver, trim, tuning slide, etc., all match the ST-602 of the same time frame.

Leblanc used the 700 series for horns that were essentially not defined as to what tier they fell into - special projects more or less.

While it looks like a student horn, the seller of these claims it to be artist level. Not having seen one in person, I cannot say either way. What I can say is that historically Holton instruments that are super rare, are so because no one wants them (examples being pre-1911 trumpet, FC model cornet, 00-1/4 bore New Revelation, etc.). There are, of course, exceptions - I'm thinking of the banana horn and an Ellis quarter-tone, but those also have extensive written commentary calling attention to their unique qualities - these 714s have none. That is too much of a risk for me to consider buying one of these to check it out further. - unless the price came down a grand and was under $350.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
MNDrums

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron - thanks for that information! So it seems this horn would be from the batch produced around 2000? This seems to be an example of "rare does not necessarily mean valuable". I played it a little bit myself, and it seems to be a nice horn.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I would never discourage you from getting it if you like it - trumpets are about more than just collector value.

If you do, I would be very interested in hearing your extended thoughts after playing it for a bit.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: