• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What is the correct gap between MP and Leadpipe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Schilke mouthpieces typically have a slightly longer shank that tapers to a smaller diameter, so it inserts into the receiver farther. I’ve had them bottom out in Bach instruments before seating fully. I think they are set up to produce zero gap in Schilke instruments.

Hey Dale, I have a quick question for you. What did you do to correct the Schilke mouthpiece bottoming out problem? One of the guys in the brass band I play in recently purchased a Schilke mouthpiece and it doesn’t fully seat in the Bach cornet he’s playing. We tried the piece in my Flip Oakes cornet, and another players Yamaha cornet and it didn’t seat well in either of these cornets. When I saw you comment it made me wonder if you had a fix for that problem.

I thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

-1957Tim
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Becker wrote:
Bflatman wrote:
I trust james of course and it is an exercise worth doing but I dont think we can assume it will always be present on all instruments.

I think more work is needed on this topic.

I do not wish to claim the gap issue is like wearing lucky socks but I am hoping for something more convincing than is available now.

No. More work is is NOT needed regarding this subject. There's plenty of information online from Reeves, GR, Pickett-Blackburn and others. There's even a Doctoral thesis on mouthpiece gap published in the the ITG Journal if you care to seek it out.

Before you go on speculating weather it's a legitimate thing or not, I suggest you dig deeper.

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Quote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Schilke mouthpieces typically have a slightly longer shank that tapers to a smaller diameter, so it inserts into the receiver farther. I’ve had them bottom out in Bach instruments before seating fully. I think they are set up to produce zero gap in Schilke instruments.

Hey Dale, I have a quick question for you. What did you do to correct the Schilke mouthpiece bottoming out problem? One of the guys in the brass band I play in recently purchased a Schilke mouthpiece and it doesn’t fully seat in the Bach cornet he’s playing. We tried the piece in my Flip Oakes cornet, and another players Yamaha cornet and it didn’t seat well in either of these cornets. When I saw you comment it made me wonder if you had a fix for that problem.

I thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.

-1957Tim

Use a small tubing cutter to take off about 1/8” from the end. Go slow with it so the end isn’t deformed, and then ream out the end to remove any lip if needed. A temporary solution would be to try a layer of scotch tape on the shank to keep it from inserting quite so far, and would probably be a good test before cutting it.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gap is mostly player specific, but to further complicate the issue, different horns have a "sweet spot" for the best playing gap. I wouldn't take the chance of ruining a mpc by shaving the shank by hand. Here is a quote that Roy Lawler posted in 2003 here on TH.

"If you want the most change in your slotting set your gap! Valve alignments are fine but not the focus of the problem. Here is the key! Make sure you use the mouthpiece you are going to play to set the gap! All of the mouthpieces very. Here is the formula.
Classical players .125 to ..150 This gives you more center (slots)
Commercial players .050 to .125 This gives you a bendable center.
Now you can experiment in between these numbers to find an optimum for you. Remeber this is based on the fact you like the blow of the leadpipe overall. Also just because you set your gap with your favorite MP and buy another just like it (most of all Bach) it wont be the same gap."
Roy Lawler[/i]

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: