• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Restoration Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1955 Olds Ambassador trumpet. The inside of the case is too far gone, so it's been removed. I hope to restore the case eventually.

Does anyone know what was the original mouthpiece of this trumpet?

Also, I'll be looking for someone to restore the trumpet. There are absolutely no dents. The valves move, albeit slowly, and the sliders are stuck. But that is easily remedied. Anyone know of a top notch professional?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration Reply with quote

PNut wrote:
Does anyone know what was the original mouthpiece of this trumpet?

Olds had their own line of mouthpieces, and Ambassadors often come with an Olds 3 mouthpiece. Don't know for sure if that was what it came with originally though.

PNut wrote:
Also, I'll be looking for someone to restore the trumpet. There are absolutely no dents. The valves move, albeit slowly, and the sliders are stuck. But that is easily remedied. Anyone know of a top notch professional?

If you're from the USA: Charlie Melk, though if it's just the slides that are stuck, you can probably get them unstuck by any capable technician. Have you taken out the valves and checked why they're sluggish? Maybe they just need a good cleaning (which any capable tech can do for you too).
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Engraving Reply with quote

The only two lines I can make out are the first and second.

Ambassador

F.E. Olds & Son

The rest is hard to make out. Anyone know what it might be?
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Value Reply with quote

Is there a way to determine the value?

This guy is asking $991.72CAD for his. Which appears to be in similar condition.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/33096165-1950-olds-son-ambassador-los-angeles-california-gamonbrass-trumpet?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12200508474&utm_content=campaignid=12200508474_adgroupid=116791438493_productpartitionid=1155509054547=merchantid=211556585_productid=33096165_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=495081226233&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmcWDBhCOARIsALgJ2QeKs2mtLV2U9sCadKQi8h6qDpYWcXz-GPwntS4lxm9oGWilCYuND5UaAjn6EALw_wcB
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other people on Trumpet Herald that are more apt at estimating values than I am, so take my next statement with a grain of salt:

There are many Olds Ambassadors out there, in various conditions. They were Olds’ student model and generally well regarded, but the newer ones (1960+?) were made faster and as the years went on the quality suffered. It is generally advised not to buy Ambassadors from 1970+ although I recently played one from 1978 that was still a fine horn. You Ambassador is from 1955 so that’s a desirable year at least.

900CAD is quite expensive for an Ambassador, even if it were great condition (which the one you linked isn’t). Where I live (in Europe), Ambassadors tend to range from 150-300 euro (225-450 CAD) but they are more rare here than in the USA. From what I’ve read on TH, in the USA they often show up at Goodwill or pawnshops (in various conditions) and I think they usually range from 50-200 dollars (60-250CAD)? Maybe a restored one would go for a lot more but truth be told, I really don’t know.

The above is my best guess at answering your question. I’m no expert and and I don’t know the Canadian market.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Engraving Reply with quote

PNut wrote:
The only two lines I can make out are the first and second.

Ambassador

F.E. Olds & Son

The rest is hard to make out. Anyone know what it might be?

Probably Los Angeles California. For more information you may wanna check out this website:
http://rouses.net/trumpet/olds.htm

If you Ambassador comes from Los Angeles rather Fullerton than I believe that might make it a little more desirable (though how much that affects the value, I don’t know).
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1954 Olds moved from Los Angeles to Fullerton, California so that will be probably in the logo on the bell.
The Los Angeles instruments have a vey good reputation so make more money.
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It definitely looks like Fullerton, Calif. Thx!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as value....

I have 3 Olds Ambassadors - 2 trumpets, 1 cornet. All are from the Fullerton era. I paid a total of $120 for all three.

In general, I would consider the Ambassador on par with a modern student trumpet as far as value. Anything from $75-200 or maybe 200 is fair, and it mostly depends on condition. These horns are 40 years old at best, at this point. If I'm spending $250 on an Olds Ambassador, it better be in nearly mint condition, and maybe a Los Angeles Olds, to boot.

(One can debate how much "better" the LA Olds are from Fullerton. I personally, have no idea, but they're more rare, they're older, production was lower, so...)

Anyone listing an Ambassador for $900 is deluding themselves to trying to catch a deluded buyer. Again, it better be all original and mint if you're even bothering to do it.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: First Trumpet Fixed Reply with quote

I was able to disassemble my '55 Olds Ambassador, stuck tuning slides, slow valve movement. Soldered what needed, polished the slides, greased 'em and wow, it works!! Wasn't a pro job, but for the first one, I'd give myself a C+.

A HUGE thanks to the folks here, and Art's Youtube Channel "The Brass and Woodwind Shop".

I couldn't have done it without you all.
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Valve Slide Pop Reply with quote

After fixing up my horn, when I remove the slides I get a rather loud "pop" sound. Does that mean the valve compression is good?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s usually a good sign...provided you’re not pressing them down and then hear the pop when you move the slide.

Nice job. How does it play?
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It pops when i'm not pressing. Yay!

Thx! For an old horn, I guess I'm lucky.

I'm too new to give an opinion on how it plays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: