• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rebirth of the Olds Recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Rebirth of the Olds Recording Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6T2VnhbXA&ab_channel=TrentAustin

or maybe a modern look-alike.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool, especially the valve block. I don't know if I've seen any reviews of the newer A3 (reverse leadpipe version). Anyone in TH-land own one and care to chime in?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebirth of the Olds Recording Reply with quote

delano wrote:
or maybe a modern look-alike.

That seems an accurate description. It's a very cool horn, but it sounds different to this.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot attest to how much it may sound or feel like an Olds Recording, but Carolbrass has a balanced horn with a 5 1/4 red brass bell. https://www.carolbrass.com/eng/show_products.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=59C956552B3C38AE&getId2=C96979B8E2849164&getId3=440E545DA8CC064D&getId4=76F2D7536BF4A247
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
I cannot attest to how much it may sound or feel like an Olds Recording, but Carolbrass has a balanced horn with a 5 1/4 red brass bell.

Is it this one (played by Horntrader):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oX0HPzgzsQs

Horntrader on Olds Recording for comparison:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ouqiwQtuJE
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Adams is that they take custom work very seriously and will build you anything you can think of as long as the final result meets their performance standards.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
I cannot attest to how much it may sound or feel like an Olds Recording, but Carolbrass has a balanced horn with a 5 1/4 red brass bell. https://www.carolbrass.com/eng/show_products.aspx?getId=9A464C339A24D76A&getId1=59C956552B3C38AE&getId2=C96979B8E2849164&getId3=440E545DA8CC064D&getId4=76F2D7536BF4A247

I’ve never owned, but have played a number of Olds Recordings trumpets and really like them a lot. I did own the CB Balanced Trumpet in silver plate, and found it to be well-built with exceptional fit and finish. Thankfully, I never crashed the mp into my teeth, so Steve the Horn Trader is correct that the CB is ‘safer’ than other balanced horns in that department. I don’t know if it was a gap issue, or just the blow being different than what I was use to, but the CB pinched for me above the staff and became much harder to play. I truly loved the sound, slotting, valves, and all playing characteristics in the low and mid ranges, but because it was fussy to me in normal playing range around high C, I decided to sell it. I was bummed to do so, as I wanted to love it.

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Rebirth of the Olds Recording Reply with quote

Crashing the horn into one's teeth! I never thought of that but it is a legitimate concern. I haven't played an Olds Recording for way over 40 years, but it would take getting used to if you had that as your main ax.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rebirth of the Olds Recording Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Crashing the horn into one's teeth! I never thought of that but it is a legitimate concern. I haven't played an Olds Recording for way over 40 years, but it would take getting used to if you had that as your main ax.

The first time is the most problematic. After that, if it's all you play, you get used to it quite quickly.

Other horns do feel weird after you get used to a balanced horn though.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had an Olds Recording for about 4 months and play it regularly in rotation with 3 or 4 other horns. It has a sweet sound but is different in tone, and very hard to analyze.
The one surprise I’ve had is that I’ve never come close to hitting my teeth, lips, etc., when playing the Recording - and that’s one thing I’d expected. I took a pic of mine next to an Ambassador, and I was shocked to note that the Recording is considerably shorter in total length. Seems like almost 2 inches shorter.
Another interesting point... I’d read that Uan Rasey played an Olds Recording for several years of his Studio work, but (I believe at Robb Stewart’s site?) I read it seems he played a Frankenhorn; it was an Olds Recording bell on another Olds body, if my memory serves correctly.
At any rate, my Olds Recording trumpet is a sweet player, but the Olds Recording cornet I have is, I sincerely believe, the finest sounding cornet I’ve ever played. That includes many fine corners and several pro Strads and Yamaha’s.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: