• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case for a Furst Pless / Jagdhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luckej

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Case for a Furst Pless / Jagdhorn Reply with quote

Anybody know where to get a case for one of these in the States? I'll get a gig bag if I have to, but I strongly prefer a hard case, like this:

Any help is appreciated!
Markneukirchen Fürst Pless
…& lotsa old Conn cornets =)
walldaja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be hard to find one here. An option may be to get a Pelican case.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/shop/products/cases?gclid=CjwKCAjw9r-DBhBxEiwA9qYUpbdts3T1OTIUuLdwePSw9vM0e4juNPYzo7AV7spZIBtdvjuDbB7WFxoCXBIQAvD_BwE

They come filled with foam that you can cut to fit what you put in them. I've used them for sensitive electronic equipment / test equipment and they are the best. Unfortunately, they offer protection at a price.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Eigentoot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Antique Sound Workshop's on-line catalog lists a hard case for the Dotzauer Fürst-Pleß post horn in Bb:

https://aswltd.com/dotzauer.htm#hunt

They are located in Massachusetts.
luckej

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions!

TL;DR:

I'm considering a $40 hard case, but it would only have about 1/2" of clearance in every direction. Is that enough for adequate protection?

Does putting the horn in a plastic bag and using spray foam to create a case liner sound like a good idea or a very bad one?

Full post follows. Apologies for my wordiness.

The Dotzauer case is only a few dollars more than a suitable Pelican, but Harbor Freight sells a case with the same interior dimensions for $40. Does seriously considering that make me just too cheap?

The interior of the Pelican 1450 is 1" over the maximum dimensions of my horn all around, is that enough for padding? I'm thinking 1/2" of dense foam all around the exterior of the case, then pick-n-pull foam inside that to support the horn, then line the whole thing with velour fabric to make it look a little nicer and stabilize the pick-n-pull blocks. Someone on TH suggested bagging the horn and using spray foam to make a form-fitting insert. I can't decide if that's remotely safe.

There's talk here on TH about Pelican/etc cases being kinda hefty to haul around (at least in trumpet sizes). Never weighed my instrument cases, but I may go to the local Harbor Freight store and see. Realistically, this is only to protect the horn from falling objects in the closet.
Markneukirchen Fürst Pless
…& lotsa old Conn cornets =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: