• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

La Tromba Valve Oil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK-Conn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveduder wrote:
I love T2. I also use T3 for Schilke valves.

Has anyone used the normal "T1" oil? Seems like T2 is much more popular.

I've used T1 and T2 on my Taylor trumpet. The T1 was sent to me by mistake when I ordered T2. Have kept with the T2 but have used both and couldn't really tell much difference between the two - and the Taylor has Bauerfeind valves, so very close tolerance. Both excellent oils. Hardly ever have to re-oil.

Tried T1 on an older Conn cornet and, as you'd probably expect, it was too thin.

Brilliant stuff for newer, close fitted valves.
pghbachCC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2¢... So, I've tried T2, Ultra-Pure, Monster (faster, Doc's, and ADAMS), Blue Juice, Zaja, Hetman's 1 and 2, Al Cass, the stock Bach oil, and some crappy music store oils.

T2 is the best and roughly on par with Ultra-Pure, though T2 is a little faster and longer-lasting. Minor variances in how both work in any given horn. I love the Monster ADAMS oil on my Bach Chicago, but it doesn't last as long and tends to gradually slow out. Doc's Juice was just gunkier ADAMS oil. Faster was just slower Doc's Juice. Blue Juice was FAST but man, I had to oil every time I played and left tons of gunk. Hetman's was like Ultra-Pure and Blue Juice had a baby... Zaja was like Ultra-Pure and Blue Juice had a good-smelling (and less gunky) baby. Al Cass was slightly better Blue Juice. Everything else was meh.

T2 / Ultra-Pure have been my go-to oils, but I still keep the Monster ADAMS around. It's nice on the C and has anti-corroding properties.
-Curry 1.5DC/VC
Schilke Eb Cornet
-Curry 5P
LA Benge Piccolo
-Warburton 4S/25 Anchor Grip, Pickett #1/25
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: La Tromba Valve Oil Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
Just a heads up that this stuff is *great*.

In the past, I've used the Yamaha oil, Al Cass Fast, and Ultra Pure. This stuff (The T2 option) is way better IMO. Faster valves that never seem to stick... ever? It also doesn't seem to evaporate. I've been lazy and gone two weeks without reapplying without any sign of sluggishness.

Am using it on a Kanstul, a Carol and a Yamaha, all with equal results.

Worth trying out if you're not totally satisfied with your current oil

I agree T2 is da bomb! Never dry out ...

Bauerfeind valves seem to prefer something lighter though, I use UP light on those. Have to re-oil daily with that
MattK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the thread is about the oils and high I’ve not tried. However, I have used and love the slide grease from la tromba. Lasts a long time and the smell is much more pleasant than the machine grease smells that come from several other brands I’ve tried.

Do they mix well like the hetmans products?
ladsar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I have a Besson prestige cornet that I bought about 6 months ago. I had some problems with the valves, especially the 2nd valve was a problem. At first I used Besson valve oil that came with the instrument. But I soon switched to La Tromba T2. And now the valves are much better! I know there are different versions of La Tromba valve oil. I don't have much experience with them. Would it be best to use T1, T2 or T3?
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a bottle of T2 with my Taylor Flugelhorn when I bought it used. I have been very impressed. Up to now I have been using Hetman, but this stuff seems to last longer. It smells a little more though, at least to me.

I believe Blue Juice is petroleum based.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a whole bunch of oils over the years.

Blue juice I was not impressed by, more recently I have used superslick, la tromba t2, and champion, along with a couple of the personal brands of instrument techs.

All have been good as oil, but the la tromba gave me the most grief of all and it wasnt the oil, la tromba is an excellent oil, it was the bottle cap which locked on and could not be removed for several minutes due to bad design and no matter how good the oil you cant lube the valves if you cant get the cap off.

I had to remove a spacer ring they fit beneath the cap with a sharp knife after I finally got the cap off, it began to lock on again after a couple of uses like a petulant child. I then had to trim the cap down to make it release.

What a pain in the ass I wouldnt use la tromba again I dont need this kind of performance. It takes me just 10 seconds to oil valves. I need it to be fast and certain.

Maybe they changed the caps on the la tromba batch my bottle came from or this was just a bad example, either way other oils are cheaper and get the job done just as well as this without any cap issues.

I use a lot of oil, one squirt before playing and another squirt each hour or so.

The reason is simple it costs me around 2 dollars a week in oil that is 100 dollars a year and the valves never stick and always run sweet and fast and the valves last a lifetime. Valves in my experience do not wear out if they are sitting in oil.

A valve job costs around 500 dollars and you have to use oil even if you under oil and wear out your valves due to under oiling.

If you dont use enough oil then every 10 years or so you spend 500 dollars on a valve job plus maybe 20 bottles of oil that adds up to 100 dollars for oil. So that adds up to 600 dollars every 10 years and you have valve problems due to under oiling and you lose your instrument for a month.

Or

You over oil copiously, I choose to use 120 bottles of oil in 10 years and I therefore spend 600 dollars on buying all that oil instead of spending 600 dollars on a valve job and a small amount of oil, and my instrument never wears out the valves never give any trouble my performance is never compromised by sluggish or sticking valves and I never have to send my instrument away to have any work done.

If you over oil you give good performances, if you under oil you give good excuses.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use T3 after switching from T2, and it works and lasts great.

Lately, two of the bottles had red caps that broke. Perhaps this is what the previous post referred to. My red cap separated into a cone and a ring, and could not be put back together. I use both on a desk because I can no longer travel with those two bottles, so I just stick the cone on and don't disturb it. I hope this is a recent and temporary aberration in the bottles.

Last edited by Riojazz on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
I use T3 after switching from T2, and it works and lasts great.

Lately, two of the bottles had red caps that broke. Perhaps this is what the previous post referred to. My red cab separated into a cone and a ring, and could not be put back together. I use both on a desk because I can no longer travel with those two bottles, so I just stick the cone on and don't disturb it. I hope this is a recent and temporary aberration in the bottles.

I've got a bottle of T2 and a bottle of T3 and both have caps broken just like you describe. I still take them with me but my gig bag ensures they stay upright. I too hope that the company designs an improved cap.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Valve oil and the US government Reply with quote

You might be interested to know that a few years ago the US Government decreed any oil product made with a viscosity thinner than Wesson Oil must have a child proof cap. It cost a major manufactoer of valve oil and musical instruments a bunch of money via a fine causing them to re-do their oil bottle with a child proof locking style cap.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Blue Juice for years on different horns with good results. There is some build up but for me that's a plus since I'm into smoothness more than speed.
I do have one cornet - a Conn Connquest that was subject to minor sticking. Tried every oil I could think of.
No difference - the sticking continued.
Then I tried Tromba T1. Never had a problem after that. Smells a bit like turpentine - but you can't have everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: