• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why no Yamaha Chicago-YM?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Jones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Why no Yamaha Chicago-YM? Reply with quote

Does anybody know why Yamaha doesn't offer a Chicago model C trumpet with the YM bell option? Is it mostly due to a lack of demand, or would it have acoustical issues? I've heard rumors of people trying to special order this configuration, but was wondering if anybody has more specific knowledge.

I ask because I've always found the NY-YM to be my favorite sounding-Yamaha model, but always end up missing the feeling of the reverse pipe. Obviously I understand that the trumpet as a whole contributes heavily to the sound, not just the bell, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious!
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess is that the YM was only created for a few of the BSO players. It just simply worked better for them/in that hall.

The YL is just simply way more sought after by most players.

If you think of it as (YL-229ish) and YM-239ish) By far, most orchestra players opt for 229ish.

I think I know one Yamaha Artist who does have a CHS-YM like you’ve described. But, probably not super likely it’d become an option anytime soon. You never know though....
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This likely goes back to pre-Gen. 3 NY models, when the feel of the NY model was much more open than the Chicago models. For the BSO, in their hall, the NY model worked better but the feel may have been too open. The YM bell gives that sense of balance within the horn they were likely looking for - again, in that hall.

As Andy said, if you think of a YM bell more like a 239 bell, then you can see why not too many players would want to pair a "tighter" Chicago leadpipe with the "tighter" YM bell. It would probably be too much overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: