• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Soundproof booths...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladsar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Soundproof booths... Reply with quote

Hi!

My wife and I bought a new apartment and we will be moving soon. I need to be able to practice in the evenings after work. I know there are several options, but I just want to know if anyone has experience with some of the "soundproof booths" currently on the marked. I know it is expensive, but it might be worth it if I can practice when I want to. And if/when we are going to move again in the future, I can install the booth there as well. The booth I have been looking at is this:

https://en.demvox.com/products/eco-soundproof-booths/eco200

I did ask the manufacturer about this booth. They said they had many customers that play trumpet and explained that your neighbors will listen as if would be watching TV (a little louder). It takes away 70% of the sound. But it might be better options out there, I just don't know. I would really appreciate some feedback about this topic.
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pricey! Probably a lot less than the cost of a new house though.
JH3136

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibility? Looks pretty portable.

https://www.vocalboothtogo.com/acoustic-treatment-sound-blankets-portable-mobile-vocal-booths-audio-recording/
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most commonly seen recently are two makers;

Studiobricks;

http://studiobricks.com/

Used by Chris Smith of San Diego symphony in his YouTube videos.

Whisper room;

https://whisperroom.com/

Used by Tom Siders of Boston Symphony in his YouTube videos.

I’ve heard demvox is quite good, unfortunately, I can’t give you a comparison between the three. Other players also those “portable studios” but the two names I mentioned have videos that may give you some insight.
ladsar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aspeyrer! I found several videos of Chris Smith and Tom Siders playing in their booths on youtube. Both booths may be a good solution.

But I'm still uncertain abouth this. I still don't know if the sound absorption is enough when playing loud. It is too expensive to order without having enough knowledge about this. It also depends on our apartment and which room the booth will be placed. Our new apartment is on the first floor, so that's a good thing regarding how much sound my neighbours will hear.

I think these booths will absorb about 70 - 80 % of the sound. Is that enough? I'm not sure yet. I found this comparison on youtube. But I couldn't decide which booth that will be my best option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXCqz9OXbwU
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I took an old closet in my house and made a great sound dampening space with some moving blankets and other stuff that is about -26DB overall. I love it for recording, for my ears (tinnitus in my left ear is getting worse and worse), for really working on the purity of my sound. Total cost was about $65 (but I had bought a LOT of moving blankets due to moving my shop and house from Boston to KC a few years ago). I'm still tweaking it but I'll share a YT video on it when I get it closer to completion.

I would love a StudioBricks for my shop and still might get one. Great design and extremely well made.

Best,
T

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice in our walk-in closet most of the time because that's where my office is now that my daughter came home and took her room back. The clothes hanging in there do a good job of snuffing the sound. Sometimes it makes me blow harder than I need to, however.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
But I'm still uncertain abouth this. I still don't know if the sound absorption is enough when playing loud. It is too expensive to order without having enough knowledge about this. It also depends on our apartment and which room the booth will be placed. Our new apartment is on the first floor, so that's a good thing regarding how much sound my neighbours will hear.

It's a tricky puzzle to reduce the noise your neighbors experience, and it can easily get quite expensive the more noise reduction you want to add. What will work best for you also depends on the apartment and the neighbors in question: in my case, one of the neighbors is fine with everything, the other is sensitive to sounds that even in our own house are barely audible.

Before you buy a sound booth, you may want to consider the following:

Everything starts with the source of the sound, so if you can play softer, that'll help a lot. Use a practice mute for the louder stuff or practice those particular pieces elsewhere.

If possible, picking practice room that doesn't share a wall/floor/ceiling with a neighbor directly will also help reduce the sound due to the fact that there's extra distance and walls in between.

No matter how thick the wall, if there's a hole, noise will leak through. Try sealing any holes & gaps, especially those under doors (draft strips are great for sealing doors). If you're playing, close the windows (including the air vents if they have them) to prevent sound from reaching your neighbors through the outside air. In my house my practice room is not directly adjacent to the neighbors, and just adding draft strips to the various doors in the house and closing them while playing made a big difference.

If you enjoy reading, covering the wall joining your neighbors with bookcases can reduce the noise by a lot (and if you already have the books, it's virtually free). Other furniture can also help, but (filled) bookcases are thick and massive. If you have only 1 joining wall with your neighbors, put the bookcases against that wall.

You can combine the above tips with your soundbooth to further reduce the noise levels your neighbors experience. Your neighbors own habits also factor in to this: if they themselves play the radio all day, then they're less likely to hear you play. Similar, it greatly matters if your intent is to play FFF at 2am or practice MP in the middle of the day when everyone is at work.

tl;dr Discuss your habits with your new neighbors first. Maybe they're not bothered by your playing enough to warrant buying a sound booth, and some simple tricks may suffice.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other consideration other than price would be space. Do you have the dedicated space to put a booth that size that will only be used for that one purpose (sound-proofing loud activities). I am guessing you have already looked into it at least somewhat, but maybe try the less expensive option of lining a room (extra bedroom, office, etc.) with soundproof panels, and then getting some feedback from your neighbors. There are some pretty cheap options for panels on Amazon. Because then if that works, that space would still be functional for other things, and you wouldn't "lose space" from installing a giant booth in your apartment.

Regardless of what you do, I would wait until you move and then reach out to a neighbor to see how loud the practicing without soundproofing is, so you have a baseline for how robust of an option you need. I, for example, was lucky with our current townhouse in that our neighbors couldn't hear me at all, without any soundproofing. I find that being open with people about these things and letting them know up front that you are actively trying to take measures to avoid disturbing anyone is generally helpful.
oregoncoast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: soundproof booths by Yamaha and Kawai Reply with quote

Hello folks

I'd like to offer a viewpoint from Tokyo, Japan where population is dense and forces people to avoid being a nuisance to others.

My information is unlikely to directly help you, I'm afraid, because the products I mention below are unavailable outside of Japan, but perhaps might indirectly assist in making your decision because the general background is similar.

Here are 2 examples of soundproof booths available in Japan. Their websites show pictures, and if you like, you can use Google Translate to read the Japanese language.

(1) Yamaha

Click on "360" next to the pictures on their webpage to view 360-degree images of soundproof booths manufactured by Yamaha. The images give you a good idea how cozy it is inside.

https://jp.yamaha.com/products/contents/soundproofing/experience/rooms_360/index.html

(2) Kawai

The webpage below shows see-through cut-away views of smaller soundproof models manufactured by Kawai. Note that instruments that require moving space (for instance trombone slides, or double bass bows) require bigger booths.

https://www.kawai-os.co.jp/product.aspx?type=05

Yamaha and Kawai use similar construction materials and techniques. They are both equally effective (their base models offer 35 dB reduction at 1 kHz). I tried them when searching for solutions to soundproof my house in Tokyo.

Yamaha and Kawai sell and rent soundproof booths. Cost depends on the size of the booth and level of soundproofing. For a smallish booth about $5k (US dollars) to buy new, or about $100 a month to rent. The booths come disassembled as flat panels, and you (or a technician) bolt them together. Best tackled with 2 people, if only to carry and support the pieces from your front door to where you are placing the booth.

Yamaha and Kawai can also soundproof your existing room by installing their proprietary pre-fabricated soundproofing boards (a combination of plywood, sound-absorbing foam, and air gaps). Installation takes perhaps 2 to 5 working days depending on how much of the existing wall, ceiling, and floor is being replaced (the best scenario is soundproofing a room while the building is being built). I was quoted a theoretical price of $15k to $20k to soundproof my room. I wrote "theoretical" because both companies refused to do it because I am on the 3rd floor and the weight of the building materials would make the building too top-heavy. The floor and columns could support the weight without problem but the building might sway too much in earthquakes. A smaller soundproof booth, by contrast, weighs much less than a soundproofed bedroom or home office, and was offered to me as a solution.

I spent some time in soundproof booths (both Yamaha and Kawai have demonstration units at their stores) and talked with acoustic technicians. I happen to be trained in spoken language processing (speech recognition and synthesis) and have spent lots of time in soundproof booths for the purpose of recording spoken language (for this task, soundproofing means eliminating outside sound from entering the booth, which is the opposite of practicing trumpet without bothering your neighbors). Based on my experience, I came to the following conclusions:

(1) Booths get hot. They are insulated and often air-tight (some have ventilators). You will be opening the door often. Cold weather is not a serious problem because your body warms the air.

(2) Booths get dirty. Dust accumulates on the roof. If you have a tight gap between the ceiling of your room and the roof of the booth, then you cannot clean it. Same with the gap between the walls of your room and the booth.

(3) Booths waste space. To be most effective, a booth should have an air gap around it, decoupling it from the inside surfaces of your room. The air gap wastes space, unless you place the booth in a corner.

(4) Booths are depressing (or should I say make you claustrophobic). You want a window. Windows are expensive options but they make a difference.

In my case, I gave up on professional installation, and chose an inexpensive adventure over a boring if reliable booth. So I soundproofed an L-shaped closet. It was an enjoyable amateurish carpenter project for me. Took forever and looks awful but cost only $1100 in materials (all purchased new) and best of all my spouse cannot hear me in the same house.

Thanks, and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: