• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet players murdered by wives or girlfriends?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet players murdered by wives or girlfriends? Reply with quote

jmock wrote:

Other than the obvious famous ones, is there a list somewhere? I already searched online and previous forum topics, and either I didn't search correctly or it just isn't here.

Thank you.

John
What obvious famous ones besides Lee Morgan? You started the thread but seem to know more about this than everyone else.
jmock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I was in a book store years ago flipping through a history of jazz musicians. Obviously I knew of Lee Morgan, but I was pretty sure there were several others. The older I get the more I realize I don't really know anything.

Now, in the last couple of days I did learn that some of the ones I thought had been murdered instead did die far too young as a result of substance abuse, either drugs or drink, or the effects of that on their bodies, dead even before age 30. I found some sites that talk about jazz musicians in general, and it's a sad story to read...and some other jazz instrumentalists besides trumpet guys were indeed murdered.

Also, as was pointed out, too may rappers get shot too (sorry just not a rap fan).

Other trumpet players who were actually murdered:

Donald Lewis, who apparently also owned a jazz club in Detroit (murdered by employee, not girlfriend or spouse during 2020)

Curtis Ousley "King Curtis" (saxophonist and also listed as trumpet) was stabbed to death during a heated argument with drug dealers

Stanley Scott Sessions, of Greeley, CO, a jazz trumpeter (murdered during 2020, not by wife or girlfriend)

William Algar, a "brilliant" jazz trumpeter in London (not by wife/girlfirend) was hacked to death after dispute with drug dealer

Jose Luis Aquina (Mexico) murdered by drug dealers

So I guess the moral of the story is don't tick off the wife by buying too many horns and mouthpieces, and definitely, definitely do not argue with drug dealers.

John
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmock wrote:
As I said, I was in a book store years ago flipping through a history of jazz musicians. Obviously I knew of Lee Morgan, but I was pretty sure there were several others. The older I get the more I realize I don't really know anything.

Now, in the last couple of days I did learn that some of the ones I thought had been murdered instead did die far too young as a result of substance abuse, either drugs or drink, or the effects of that on their bodies, dead even before age 30. I found some sites that talk about jazz musicians in general, and it's a sad story to read...and some other jazz instrumentalists besides trumpet guys were indeed murdered.

Also, as was pointed out, too may rappers get shot too (sorry just not a rap fan).

Other trumpet players who were actually murdered:

Donald Lewis, who apparently also owned a jazz club in Detroit (murdered by employee, not girlfriend or spouse during 2020)

Curtis Ousley "King Curtis" (saxophonist and also listed as trumpet) was stabbed to death during a heated argument with drug dealers

Stanley Scott Sessions, of Greeley, CO, a jazz trumpeter (murdered during 2020, not by wife or girlfriend)

William Algar, a "brilliant" jazz trumpeter in London (not by wife/girlfirend) was hacked to death after dispute with drug dealer

Jose Luis Aquina (Mexico) murdered by drug dealers

So I guess the moral of the story is don't tick off the wife by buying too many horns and mouthpieces, and definitely, definitely do not argue with drug dealers.

John
Wow, you scared me with Jose Luis Aquina... not to be confused with Luis Aquino the well-known Puerto Rican trumpet player. The other ones were not famous. I know off Scott Sessions because I used to live in Greeley but not the other ones, King Curtis was a sax player.
jmock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all of them were well enough known in their area as to be at least locally famous...they say everybody gets their 15 minutes of fame.

King Curtis is listed on a wikipedia list of murdered musicians as being both a saxophonist and a trumpet player, but it seems he did mainly play saxophone. I know sometimes sax and trumpet players do cross over to the other instrument. Never personally met one who did.

I think some of the others who died so young may have been incorrectly listed elsewhere as being murdered when in fact it was usually drugs. I thought I had read that New Orleans jazz pioneer clarinet/saxophonist Sidney Bechet had been murdered, but actually he passed away from lung cancer.

John
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmock wrote:
Well, all of them were well enough known in their area as to be at least locally famous...they say everybody gets their 15 minutes of fame.

King Curtis is listed on a wikipedia list of murdered musicians as being both a saxophonist and a trumpet player, but it seems he did mainly play saxophone. I know sometimes sax and trumpet players do cross over to the other instrument. Never personally met one who did.

I think some of the others who died so young may have been incorrectly listed elsewhere as being murdered when in fact it was usually drugs. I thought I had read that New Orleans jazz pioneer clarinet/saxophonist Sidney Bechet had been murdered, but actually he passed away from lung cancer.

John
King Curtis was definitely a sax player who may have played trumpet here and there throughout his life like most of us occasionally touch other instruments. The other ones you listed are famous because they were murdered, not because they were famous trumpet players. The only famous trumpet player to be murdered was Lee Morgan.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: trumpet players murdered by wives or girlfriends Reply with quote

The music field, as with life, if filled with sad stories like these. Even those that don't die from it. Chet Baker had his teeth beaten out over drug purchases evidently. Personally, I will always admire Chet for getting false teeth and learning to play again. Many of these people who died were wonderful players, though. We have to tip our hats to their ability and contribution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: