• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Outdoors playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Outdoors playing Reply with quote

I couldn't find an appropriate subject under which to post this, so I guess it will have to go here.

I'm no professional, though I have played professionally on occasion.

Now that's out of the way, let me say that for me, outdoor playing is the absolute shizz. I find a level of freedom that I don't get playing indoors.
I like to communicate with the sounds I hear around me. Really. Birdsong sounds like language to me, and I try and respond. Sometimes it's like call and response. It's endlessly fascinating to me.
Yeah, you pros probably think it's funny. But I would respond by saying that if that's the case, you've lost the initial sense of magic in making controlled sound in your environment. Also, I'm a fan of John Cage - to a certain degree.

Anyway, please enjoy playing outdoors when you can and make field recordings if possible.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re mostly referring to playing outdoors for your own enjoyment, cool.
But IMO, generally speaking I would much rather play a gig indoors. Why?
Weather, wind, dusty conditions (which are not great for brass instruments) and insects. I’ll take an indoor gig any day, but unfortunately, because we have such mild winters in here Texas, probably 1/3 of my gigs are outdoors.

But hey, better an outdoor gig than no gig!

Brad
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I see that point Brad361. My OP was really just an attempt at pointing out how interesting and enjoyable playing outdoors is for me, for the reasons I mentioned.

Gigs outdoors, as you point out are a different thing altogether, and I can dig that, although having done one or two outdoor gigs myself, I prefer it to indoors. Everyone's different as are all gigs I suppose.

Where I play outdoors though, and yep, it is for my own enjoyment, it's basically in a 'green belt' between farms here. I live in a regional area in Au so it's quite easy to find that sort of solitude to play in. I love it. Hopefully the birds do too, but maybe what they're really doing in response to what I do is telling me to go away.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
Yeah, I see that point Brad361. My OP was really just an attempt at pointing out how interesting and enjoyable playing outdoors is for me, for the reasons I mentioned.

Gigs outdoors, as you point out are a different thing altogether, and I can dig that, although having done one or two outdoor gigs myself, I prefer it to indoors. Everyone's different as are all gigs I suppose.

Where I play outdoors though, and yep, it is for my own enjoyment, it's basically in a 'green belt' between farms here. I live in a regional area in Au so it's quite easy to find that sort of solitude to play in. I love it. Hopefully the birds do too, but maybe what they're really doing in response to what I do is telling me to go away.

Understood, and I can see why you enjoy playing outdoors. To be clear, I don’t hate outdoor gigs, but they can be a pain, especially since you can’t just stop if conditions deteriorate. But playing outside for fun, I can see that.

I’ll bet the kangaroos like your outdoor concerts too!😎

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: