• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Next generation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Next generation Reply with quote

Today my cousin's granddaughter is going home with two great horns, her great-great-grandfather's trumpet and the matching cornet I bought.

This is the first time in 45 years I haven't had this trumpet with me, even if I haven't played it much since I got the Lightweight 400s. So kind of an "What did I just do?!" moment.

It was all I could to not laugh when she wanted to play these because she thought they would be easier than the rest. Oh, honeybun, if you only knew.....

But I hope she gets as much joy playing these as I did.
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. "If you only knew..." timeless quote there.

Tom, thanks for your continued participation in the board. Always enjoy your insights and anecdotes.

Godspeed in your future endeavors.
Larry Tscharner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I remember in fourth grade being asked if I wanted to play an instrument and since I wasn't very good at any sport I said yes. In the decision making process of a nine year old I said "trumpet". The clarinet and sax had way too complicated keys. The trombone looked a little dangerous, how does that slide tube fit in your mouth when you pull it all the way in? Drums are a dumb kid's instrument, not very cool if you just hit it with a stick. The flute was for GIRLZ, ick. So with three buttons, the trumpet was it, how hard could it be to play? Right?
1966 Olds Super
others also.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's funny.

Welcome to the board, Larry.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It can't be that hard" LOL

I wish your cousin's grand-daughter the best. That's a great horn set.

My mother said I needed to get some culture and music would be a good route. I went to the local YMCA (lessons were .01c/lesson!) and came home with a practice pad and a set of drum sticks. The next day she brought me back to the music instructor and said he (me) needs a real instrument to study.

He only had an old cornet left in the locker for 'loaning' but it needed a patch on the lead-pipe. Mom said that will do, where can we get it patched? So I began to study cornet/trumpet playing, it wasn't that hard until it was clearly explained to me about the term intonation. Wow, things have been interesting ever since!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Tscharner wrote:
Wow. I remember in fourth grade being asked if I wanted to play an instrument and since I wasn't very good at any sport I said yes. In the decision making process of a nine year old I said "trumpet". The clarinet and sax had way too complicated keys. The trombone looked a little dangerous, how does that slide tube fit in your mouth when you pull it all the way in? Drums are a dumb kid's instrument, not very cool if you just hit it with a stick. The flute was for GIRLZ, ick. So with three buttons, the trumpet was it, how hard could it be to play? Right?

Winner, new TH member best post!
First prize: one bottle Blue Juice Valve oil.
Second prize: two bottles Blue Juice Valve oil.
😉
(By the way, I fully intend to steal that post and take full credit).
😉

Brad
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Next Generation Reply with quote

I would like to be the first to say something from Henny Youngman, the king of one liners, "Take my valve oil, please!"
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:

My mother said I needed to get some culture and music would be a good route. I went to the local YMCA (lessons were .01c/lesson!) and came home with a practice pad and a set of drum sticks. The next day she brought me back to the music instructor and said he (me) needs a real instrument to study.

When my oldest son was about 14, we were at a church with a very engaging young man playing the drum set. Andy started hanging out with the praise band as they were putting stuff away, asking questions of the drummer, and the die was cast. Drum lessons started shortly thereafter.

I took him to a drum clinic featuring Dave Weckl and as we pulled up to the church that was hosting the event, they had not yet opened the door and there was quite a motley crew hanging out. My son got a little nervous and asked if we were in the right place. "Oh yeah, son, these are definitely the guys." One of the very cool truths Dave put on the audience that night also applies to us trumpet players. "If you want to work/gig, you have to be willing to play any genre and you have to recognize it is more important to be part of the whole rather than the star." Good stuff.

He eventually became one of those guys and had a nice little run with a folk rock band right after his college days were finished. Got to see a lot of the country, performed in some interesting venues and made a little money.
Larry Tscharner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many of us got our start, or come back restart at church! Thank God for pitiful little praise bands made up of jr. high kids and old timers. They're the best!
1966 Olds Super
others also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: