• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet VS C Cornet for playing in church

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you recommend for use to play with an organ in church to accompany congregational singing?
Schilke S22CHD trumpet
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
Schilke A2C cornet
50%
 50%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 34

Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Andy, and I too play a Schilke A2C.

I seriously do not think this is such an issue to decide. Just one or the other. Play it. You will sound like you. No one in the congregation, in causing any music ministers, are going to worry or hassle you, unless it’s out of tune...

Cheers

Andy
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
The S22CHD is an orchestral instrument, designed to go up against the Bach large bore C trumpets. Another alternative would be the Schilke medium bore c trumpets: the C6 and C7. They would probably be special order but they are very easy blowing nice solo instruments.

I am going to look for a music store that stocks these. I'd really like to try them out before buying.

Here's a road trip for you to a great shop in the Atlanta area: https://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/c-trumpets

PS the owner is, like myself, a former Schilke employee.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, I have been to Rich Ita's shop a number of times. I kind of like buying vintage horns just to take them to him to work on. I never cared much for my Strad until he worked on it. I don't know what all he did, but he sure did improve the playability of that horn.

He has an interesting collection of vintage cornets. He had one Blessing cornet that I regret not buying. It played and sounded very nice.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Grits, to be honest: assuming you are an amateur player that does not need to make money with your music, I think that is does not make much of a difference. Trumpets and cornets sound slightly different, yes, but I doubt that the majority of the audience would notice. I have gotten to a point (40 years into playing) that I just pick what I like and what suits me best.

Nowadays I mostly play my rotary and my bass trumpet. One does not play a rotary in a rock band? Who cares? It’s the horn I like and that I can deliver with. So: if you like the cornet, go with it.

First, I am not quite an amateur. At the present time I am a hacker. I am working very hard and one day I hope to be promoted to amateur. I was taking lessons from Jeff Purtle and making good headway, but I ran into some health issues that set me back a bit.

As for playing a rotary trumpet in a rock band, that is only the sort of thing you can do if you are a very skilled player. Hackers need to look like they know what they are doing and dress for the occasion. When you can't play, looks are all you've got.

I take the same philosophy to the golf course. One day I walked into the clubhouse and a friend of mine, a scratch golfer, said to everybody in the place, "Hey, here's the guy who looks like Jack Nicklaus and plays like Grits."

I am happy to report that my trumpet playing is better than my golf.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
My name is Andy, and I too play a Schilke A2C.

I seriously do not think this is such an issue to decide. Just one or the other. Play it. You will sound like you. No one in the congregation, in causing any music ministers, are going to worry or hassle you, unless it’s out of tune...

Cheers

Andy

Andy, thanks for posting. You are correct, of course.

I have to say, however, that I picked up a number good tips from the folks who have posted.

I don't know about you, but for me, buying a new trumpet (or cornet) is a big deal. It's nice to enjoy the entire experience, from thinking, to looking, to seeking advice, to buying and eventually to playing. I've enjoyed the comments of the folks here at Trumpet Herald who mentioned some things worth thinking about.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Schilke C trumpet versus cornet Reply with quote

Hello all,
Just have to say that I have been buying and selling, mostly Schilke horns since 1976. I used to be able to make enough playing, to buy a horn per year.. Then it was easy to audition a horn for an extended time and sell the one that was not playing like I wanted. After a while I was able to keep a few more around just to have, because I liked how they played, differently.
My name is Chris, and I play an A2C....among others.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are quite some folks playing the A2C and like it. Makes me wonder if I should try one, too ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke A2C as well. With a Curry DC mouthpiece, it's the easiest to play, most in tune C instrument I own. Your results may vary.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a C TRUMPET.
You like Schilke, get a Schilke.

You don't want your sound blending into the organ and choir; the church wants brass for that SPARKLE. A trumpet will do that more easily than a cornet.

I typically play Easter services. I usually use a C trumpet for everything. However, one year I decided to use one of my Bb trumpets for one of the tunes to put me in the key of F instead of the key of Eb -- to avoid 2-3 value combination in several 16th note runs. Well, after the service, my wife tells me she couldn't hear me in that tune; she could hear me fine on everything else.
So my lightweight, thin copper "beryllium" bell could be heard, but my normal weight yellow brass could not. My Schilke C3Lb has served me well.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Get a C TRUMPET.
You like Schilke, get a Schilke.

You don't want your sound blending into the organ and choir; the church wants brass for that SPARKLE. A trumpet will do that more easily than a cornet.

I typically play Easter services. I usually use a C trumpet for everything. However, one year I decided to use one of my Bb trumpets for one of the tunes to put me in the key of F instead of the key of Eb -- to avoid 2-3 value combination in several 16th note runs. Well, after the service, my wife tells me she couldn't hear me in that tune; she could hear me fine on everything else.
So my lightweight, thin copper "beryllium" bell could be heard, but my normal weight yellow brass could not. My Schilke C3Lb has served me well.

Jerry, thanks for posting. You make a very good point. The organ is loud and I'm operating on 70% lung capacity (asthma). I probably need all the help I can get to be heard. I can always satisfy my craving for a cornet with one in Bb.

Still, I am going to have to find a place where I can try out the A2C and a Getzen cornet as well.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:

Still, I am going to have to find a place where I can try out the A2C and a Getzen cornet as well.

If you are coming to Indy, let me know and I'll arrange a meeting with you and my AC2. I loaned it to a dear friend who played Symphonie Fantastique on it about 13 months ago, before the orchestra shut down. He loved it. I do too...L'Histoire is gorgeous on it.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play both of them.
With your asthma, choose the one that gives you the most sound for the least amount of effort.
The great Arnold Jacobs did not have full lung capacity either and my, could he make a sound on that tuba.
R. Tomasek
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:

If you are coming to Indy, let me know and I'll arrange a meeting with you and my AC2. I loaned it to a dear friend who played Symphonie Fantastique on it about 13 months ago, before the orchestra shut down. He loved it. I do too...L'Histoire is gorgeous on it.

Dr. Lilly, that is a very kind offer. I actually have a niece who lives near Indianapolis. I might have to arrange for a visit. I am very interested in the AC2.

Warm regards,
Grits
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get the instrument that works best for you - how you play and the situation that you will use it in.

Don't give too much thought to these posts that pontificate on the "correct horn" or "most common" or "most versatile." What matters is your situation.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided on what I wanted to do. I ordered a Getzen 3810 C Cornet.

I couldn't find a place locally to compare a Getzen 3810 with a Schilke A2C so I don't really know if I would prefer one to the other, but I stumbled across an irresistible offer on a brand new Getzen 3810 and I'm sure that I will like it. Let's be honest, the horn is much better than I am; I don't deserve such a horn and I will never do it justice.

The horn is on backorder and I don't expect to get my hands on it until July, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.

I first learned about Getzen cornets from Trumpet Herald. Over the last few years I searched out recordings of people playing them and I liked the sound of every one of the players. Admittedly, they were all better players than me, but at least I will know that I am playing a first rate instrument so that if I do not sound as good as I like, I will know that the problem is with me, not the horn. Anyways, I have been hoping to add a Getzen cornet to the stable for some time and now I have a brand new one headed my way.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be pleased. I had a Getzen C and performed a Rutter piece for organ, trumpet, and choir on it with a great result.

HTH

Ben
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:

Dr. Lilly, that is a very kind offer. I actually have a niece who lives near Indianapolis. I might have to arrange for a visit. I am very interested in the AC2.

Warm regards,
Grits

See you've chosen the Getzen, which is a fantastic instrument. If you get near Indy, please contact me and we can still arrange a trial on the Schilke!

All my best,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

See you've chosen the Getzen, which is a fantastic instrument. If you get near Indy, please contact me and we can still arrange a trial on the Schilke!

All my best,

AL[/quote]

Again, very kind of you to offer. If I get to Indy, I'll give you a holler. I suspect that I would be happy with either the Getzen or the Schilke. I'm just glad to have a horn pitched in C. I think that my new cornet will work very well for me when playing in church.

Warm regards,
Grits
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I think you'll be pleased. I had a Getzen C and performed a Rutter piece for organ, trumpet, and choir on it with a great result.

HTH

Ben

Thanks. I appreciate the encouragement.

Warm regards,
Grits
FatSebastian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I finally decided on what I wanted to do. I ordered a Getzen 3810 C Cornet. ... I stumbled across an irresistible offer on a brand new Getzen 3810 and I'm sure that I will like it.

Congratulations on your decision! For those of us also looking for an "irresistible offer" on a new Getzen 3810, can you say from where you ordered?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: