• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What Material to Practice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What Material to Practice Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
... I never thought this would have to be said in a pedagogy or fundamentals forum but here goes: You never stop practicing fundamentals.... Ever. Period. ...

---------------------------------------------
Perhaps the issue of it being discussed on TH illuminates a weakness in the pedagogy.

'Good teachers' might instill the basics of 'how and what to practice' (and maybe teach their students why) from the beginning. But apparently some students have not learned. It's not an ideal situation if a student has to 'know the right questions' in order to get good instruction from a teacher.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What Material to Practice Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
AJCarter wrote:
... I never thought this would have to be said in a pedagogy or fundamentals forum but here goes: You never stop practicing fundamentals.... Ever. Period. ...

---------------------------------------------
Perhaps the issue of it being discussed on TH illuminates a weakness in the pedagogy.

'Good teachers' might instill the basics of 'how and what to practice' (and maybe teach their students why) from the beginning. But apparently some students have not learned. It's not an ideal situation if a student has to 'know the right questions' in order to get good instruction from a teacher.

I concur.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: What material to practuce Reply with quote

Quote:
I found Rick Willey's 'Jazz Improv Materials Handbook' to be brilliant for scales and patterns.

Just ordered it. Have been thinking recently about needed something like this.

Thanks!

Mike
Yamaha 631 Flugel
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: What Material to Practice Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
AJCarter wrote:

Not always the case. In graduate school (which yes, I understand is different than middle school or high school), we were expected to practice fundamentals based upon weaknesses and or build those skills needed to perform etudes or rep we were assigned. He would never tell us to go out and practice Arban et al. I have been asking most of my students to think more critically in this fashion as of late and it has been yielding great results.

I seriously doubt if the OP is in grad school.

Sometimes we assign a routine heavy on fundamentals, sometimes heavy on etudes depending on the student's needs. No one on this forum or even the student has the ability to determine that mix. Do what your teach assigns.

I have been to A LOT of school and the amount of things assigned versus the amount of things I had to come up with on my own was about 5% assigned 95% self-started. My continuing success has been because I have had to think more critically (as AJCarter said) and not been as reliant on a teacher for 100% of my answers. The goal of a teacher is to guide the student to be their own teacher, not be an answer keeper.

I would see my previous post as the things that help illuminate that path, get you to the point of being self-reliant, and that, IMO, are totally necessary for success.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good teacher is essential but you gotta walk the path on your own:

Scales, etudes, tunes.

Every day.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: