• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Weird Vintage Mouthpieces...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Weird Vintage Mouthpieces... Reply with quote

What are some examples of weird vintage (or modern) mouthpieces that you have come across? By weird I mean an uncommon design or approach.

I’m aware of the Cauffman Parabolic mouthpieces, the Parduba Double Cup, the Best Brass Groove, Asymmetric pieces, and Wedge mouthpieces.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen some of the designs from Harrelson? They have a "triple cup" style available on both throats and cups, making for a pretty wild-looking piece when both are combined. Their high compression cups also have a bit of a double cup style.

Tripple cup with triple throat:

Double "high compression" cup with triple "darkening" throat:
[/list]
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
Have you seen some of the designs from Harrelson? They have a "triple cup" style available on both throats and cups, making for a pretty wild-looking piece when both are combined. Their high compression cups also have a bit of a double cup style.

Tripple cup with triple throat:

Double "high compression" cup with triple "darkening" throat:
[/list]

Woah!

Have you played those? If so, how do they compare to a conventional cup?
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks quite...interesting...wonder what they'll play like.

Of the mouthpieces you mentioned, I've played a Best Brass Groove 7E in the past. It had a raw sound I kinda liked at the time but to be honest I cannot say how much the grooves or the double rim contributed to that. It wasn't a noticeable feature to me at least.

Not quite sure if AR Resonance mouthpieces qualify as 'weird', as their shapes are somewhat more conventional, but they do offer various materials (including Buffalo Horn and Damasteel) that have quite an impact on the sound.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've played both, plus a ton of other parts from Harrelson (I have one of their 5MM pieces). When I purchased the kit, they set out about 20 throats, 6 cups, 4 rims, and 5 backbores in a variety of both sizes and shapes (both weird ones like these and more standard designs).

In the end, I ended up with 5 throats and 2 cups, all in either the extra compression or darkening style. Compared to a standard bowl shape, both of these styles offer a bit more compression/resistance for the same throat size. The extra compression entrance tends to brighten the sound as well, while the darkening entrance has a pretty comparable sound to a standard throat while offering more resistance.

Obviously I like more resistance, as I feel it allows me to get around the horn with less effort. The only noticeable downside compared to my Bach 3C is the very low register (generally around A below the staff and down) - I find it very easy to airball when getting down so low on the Harrelson, while the 3C is more composed. Otherwise, I find the Harrelson to just be easier to play on, especially in the upper register.
Johnny-Highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zottola pieces had an interesting design-backbore stepped like
the Pilczuk leadpipes.

38b "Frankenconn" with Bauerfeind Valve block/ Yamaha 6345G /Yamaha 631/Courtois 154G / Curry+Klier 1,5 mpc`s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: