• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Trumpet Players Also Car People?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a '98 Lotus Esprit V8 count amongst all these heavyweight straightline muscle cars?
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started buying my own:
'75 BMW 2002
'88 Honda Civic
-76 BMW 2002tii
'92 Honda Del Sol Si
'94 Ford Exploder
'97 BMW M3
'08 BMW 335i
'10 BMW 335d (chipped)
'09 Porsche Cayman S
'14 BMW 428i (chipped)

We've also had a couple of Honda Odysseys, an Audi A3 and currently a '16 BMW X1 for the wife.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my car purchases:

New 1986 Chevy 1/2 ton van.
New 1997 Ford Econoline E-250.
New 2018 Ford F-150.

All 3 non-turbo V8.
Several used 1965-1973 WV beetles before that.
So no, not a car person.
Spit valve

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Cars Reply with quote

For daily driving I like Japanese cars. I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, a Nissan, and a Mazda.

For fun, my '92 Corvette is a blast. I bought it used so I don't have a lot of cash tied up in it. During the current quarantine its saved my sanity. Every week I drive it 50+ miles in a top-down tour of rural roads -- made the car really worth the price I paid.

The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Trumpet player's cars Reply with quote

Believe me when I say I am not bragging as I couldn't afford to buy back any of my cars today. I was fortunate to have owned them prior to the car auction craze and dot com collections that exist today. Here's my list:

1956 Triumph TR 2
1961 Alfa Romeo Giuletta Spyder
1963 Jaguar XK-E
1958 Saab 93 (Two stroke)
1960 Fiat Abarth 1000 Record Monza Bialbero
1958 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750
1959 Fiat Abarth Zagato 750
1960 Fiat Abarth Allemano Spyder 750
1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Sprint Speciale
1962 Alfa Romeo 1300 Bertone Coupe
1962 Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet
1968 Maserati Quatroporte
1973 BMW 2002 Tii
2015 Audi S5 Coupe
2018 Ford RS

There were some other cars (mostly Alfas) that I had restored for other people and the old saying about "hindsight will make you rich" was quite true in the case of my Ferrari...sold for $3800 in 1972 and currently for sale for $1,600,000.00. I had restored the car and it was a cover and feature story in the Ferrari magazine Cavallino. It was brought into the US by an Air Force guy to Las Vegas from Rome and I bought it for $1500.00. The car was originally a light metallic blue with removable hardtop and one of 224 produced between 1960-1962. It never had leather but a tan vinyl as it was a convertible. I've followed the path of this car and the current owner that has it listed in Exotic Classics (serial #2341) is the one asking $1,600,000. Fully restored (it says) to original it is now black with red leather and the photographs do not show the very rare hard top. I did speak with the fellow who did the last restoration and he was a bit of a snob claiming "it was a period color" and the original Weber carbs had black bodies when in fact they didn't. Some racing Ferraris had black Weber carb bodies in the early fifties but not this car. I was at the factory in 1982 and was given the original work sheets on "my" car. So much for the "expert" restoration.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
BrigantiumJazz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NO car. I am a bycicle Man
I have 6 different cycles. Good for the Environment!!!
Forget Cars...
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Trumpet players and cars Reply with quote

I'm sorry you don't have have the love of cars many of us have and I appreciate your biking experiences. I too ride but do love the horsepower feel of the many cars I've owned. My bike is a Nischiki (sp) and although it's older than me, I do feel it's a proper ride. I have been restoring cars (maybe) longer than you have been alive and I hope you don't resent me enjoying the many cars I've owned and restored. Keep riding and perhaps, the new generation automobiles with such energy efficiency will turn you on to four wheels.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrigantiumJazz wrote:
I have NO car. I am a bycicle Man
I have 6 different cycles. Good for the Environment!!!
Forget Cars...

I agree with Tony! You have missed out the fun in working with a car, side stepping mr Murphy (probably You haven´t heard of him, ), leaning back then touching the newly so smoothly sanded surface of a fender or listening to the growl of the Abarth system. Or competing with a lot of Italians in Fiat Abarths up in the Alps, or racing against a Renault Gordini on Via Aurelia 1969.......wearing swim trunks and an Indianpolis Helmet, red....., cabbed down....
On the other hand you have avoided the second thoughts of having sold your car only to find that it years later turned out to be a treasure....like Tony´s.
On a much more humble level I regret selling my MGB....

But I do bike, Shimano, 22 gears.....Good for my body! But wearing a helmet making me look like Flash Gordon
But - indeed the bicyclists in my hometown seem to forget cars......I have a constant fear that one day I´ll hit one, coming from nowhere....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see trumpet players who are also into cars. I recently added a Ford GT to my collection (actually doubled the size of the collection....LOL).

Drive on everyone!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 97 Audi A4 with 580whp, 3seperate diffs, racing 6 speed, full racing suspension, 3.5” exhaust, gt35r turbo, etc.. does that make me a car nut or just a nut. I can’t bear to think how many pounds of hundred dollar bills I’ve spent. Now that I’m 67 it’s too fast for me to track anymore either, but I can tune it down to 400 whp or so.
Rod
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I have a 97 Audi A4 with 580whp, 3seperate diffs, racing 6 speed, full racing suspension, 3.5” exhaust, gt35r turbo, etc.. does that make me a car nut or just a nut. I can’t bear to think how many pounds of hundred dollar bills I’ve spent. Now that I’m 67 it’s too fast for me to track anymore either, but I can tune it down to 400 whp or so.
Rod

As far as hundred dollar bills, the Cobra below is in that ballpark. Apparently, cars ordered from AC in England, originally were delivered to Pittsburgh dealer/racer Ed Hugas. The first examples were parked in his downtown place, where a doctor was given the first for $6K back then. After several weeks of "freezing his ass off" he came back and traded it... From there, it raced in Europe, and eventually found it's way to a collector in Ca.

https://expertautoappraisals.com/car-of-the-week/ac-cobra-csx2001/
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 16 in 68 the local ford dealer had a guy wanted to trade for something and dealer and my uncle were good friends and he offered it to him for 3000$ for me to drive. My uncle told me about it and I threw a fit and told him how much car it was to no avail. 40 years later I saw one sell for hundreds of thou and asked him if he regretted passing it up. He looked at me and asked if that was all I thought my life was worth? Given my advancing age I finally saw his wisdom. But the old saying that speed costs money is very very true, and you should never do it in hopes of making money👹
Rod
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American car guy, new cars I bought over five decades:

2 Chevy Impala Sport Coupes
1 Chevy Nova (350 V-8 engine)
1 Dodge Charger ('74 Petty era)
1 Olds Cutlass coupe
3 Pontiac Bonnevilles
2 Pontiac Grand Prix
1 Ford Mustang
1 Chevy Camaro
Next car will be a Dodge Challenger!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
When I was 16 in 68 the local ford dealer had a guy wanted to trade for something and dealer and my uncle were good friends and he offered it to him for 3000$ for me to drive. My uncle told me about it and I threw a fit and told him how much car it was to no avail. 40 years later I saw one sell for hundreds of thou and asked him if he regretted passing it up. He looked at me and asked if that was all I thought my life was worth? Given my advancing age I finally saw his wisdom. But the old saying that speed costs money is very very true, and you should never do it in hopes of making money👹
Rod

What was the car?
silverhorn43

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am to a point I guess, since I got em LOL

In order by age

'55 Chevy 210 Del Ray
'62 Chevy Corvair 500
'63 Chevy Corvair 900 Convertible
'65 Chevy Corviar Corsa Convertible (2)
'72 Chevy C10 Pickup
'04 Ford Mustang Convertible (40th Anniv Ed)
2018 Dodge Durango R/T (yeah, it's got a Hemi)
Getzen M2003 Field Trumpet
CarolBrass Legend 7000 YSS
CarolBrass 5000 YSS
CarolBrass Legend 9990 Flugalhorn
LeBlanc 603 Flugalhorn
King Master Cornet ('36)
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 928 with a Chevy, and '76 Spitfire are what I've held onto. For a while I've been interested in Pre-war bikes that were pretty affordable some years ago, until waves of collectors came along with the auction circuit to bid prices up, which kind of ruined the whole idea. Parked in a man-cave and not ridden is where most of them end up.

Bike I'd like to find...Jay was given a junk Indian years ago for nothing. Probably won't happen today. More like a 20G entry cost at auction, and beginning of a long project. Therefore a bucket list item, unlikely to happen..

Link
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black, restored to original 1950 Buick in my garage
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talented guys, Berham Triumph...Germany

Link
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the money, I'd get a couple of Porsches. My daily drive is a Subaru Outback. Like clockwork it is.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
If I had the money, I'd get a couple of Porsches. My daily drive is a Subaru Outback. Like clockwork it is.

I owned a Porsche Turbo for 8 years, and highly recommend them. I probably have just one more shot at a premium sports car before I retire, and a Turbo or GT3 will be near the top of the list.....although getting another Lamborghini will be hard to pass up on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: