• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Oil and Slide Grease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Valve Oil and Slide Grease Reply with quote

Help a newbie.

Is this correct?

Once the valves have dried, they need to be oiled along with the first and third trumpet slides. Then apply grease to the second valve slide and the main tuning slide.

Note: Do NOT add grease to the third valve slide.

Source: https://cleanmyinstrument.com/trumpet-shine/
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use trumpet valve oil on the 3 pistons.
Grease is OK on all the valve slide, UNLESS you want quick and easy movement of the 1st and 3rd slides.
I use drug store MINERAL OIL on all of the slides - it lubricates well, no smell, and not 'goopy' like some greases.

Since typical valve oil is quite thin and runny, most people partially insert the pistons into the valve casings, and then apply a few drops of valve oil on the outer surface of the piston (to prevent dripping the valve oil on clothing and outside surface of the trumpet).
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free advice, including mine, is worth what you pay for it.

There are many opinions on using grease or oil on your slides.

If you are playing a student instrument with no ring/saddle on the first valve slide there is no reason to not use grease. The same if the third slide isn’t set up for easy movement, or if you aren’t at the stage where you use it. (Using the slide from the beginning, IMO, is the way to go)

I personally use grease on the first and third slides and add drops of oil every time I oil the pistons between cleanings. I like the way the grease helps retain the slide’s position.

That said, a lubricant is necessary on the slides, whether oil or grease.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oiling tip from one of the techs online was to remove the valve completely. Hold it over something like your trash. Apply oil to all of the valve and then place back in the horn. That way you are getting all of the valve oiled and not just hoping it get's distributed by movement after oiling.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Oil and Slide Grease Reply with quote

PNut wrote:
Help a newbie.

Is this correct?

Once the valves have dried, they need to be oiled along with the first and third trumpet slides. Then apply grease to the second valve slide and the main tuning slide.

Note: Do NOT add grease to the third valve slide.

Source: https://cleanmyinstrument.com/trumpet-shine/

On the tuning slide and second valve slide, use anhydrous lanolin, or Selmer Red Grease.

Use Hetman Rotor Oil on the first and third valve slides. The viscosity of the oil is just right for the slides; the needle applicator in Hetman helps to deliver a tiny drop of oil to the right location.

On the valves, use Ultrapure Valve Oil, or regular Yamaha Oil. Before major re-oiling, wipe off the valve surface with moist (wetted but not dripping wet) chamois cloth. Roll the moist chamois cloth into a tight tourniquet, insert it into each valve casing and clean the casing from the inside by turning the tourniquet so that the tourniquet tightly contacts the entire inner surface of the casing.

Before putting the piston back into the casing, cover the entire piston surface with a thin continuous layer of oil (no dry spots) and put a few drops of oil into the casing. Do not rotate the piston when inserting it into casing; instead, orient it correctly before inserting.

For minor re-oiling, you can oil by unscrewing the upper casing cap, lifting the valve to barely show the top of the piston surface, and applying the oil to the visible piston surface. This does not guarantee an even coverage of the piston, but prevents scuffs formed during repeated taking the piston out and in.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Valve oil and slide grease Reply with quote

I have used many different valve oils, but always kept a little vaseline to put on my slides. At room temperature it very nearly liquifies and makes the slides work wonderfully well. There may be people who have written their masters thesis on not using vaseline but my first trumpet teacher showed me and after 61 years I still believe in him and what he said.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did grease all my slides and that made the 3rd valve trigger on my Olds rather sluggish...then I added a drop of valve oil on it and it slides like crazy now.

In general, I've found that properly oiling the valves and greasing the slides improves how the instrument's plays and sounds. My Getzen in particular, which in hindsight I kinda mistreated during my college years, played vastly better. Guess it may be because the compression is better or something.
Aaronis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not wait for your valves to dry before applying oil. That won't do your valves any favors. You should oil often. I oil every other day. Some players oil every day.

As far as the third valve slide goes, there is nothing wrong with using grease, I would recommend it. For me, I use a combination of grease and valve oil. It gives the metal good lubrication but yet, fast action with the oil. I find that combination works very well for me.
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaronis wrote:
I would not wait for your valves to dry before applying oil. That won't do your valves any favors. You should oil often. I oil every other day. Some players oil every day.

I think you missed that he is drying the pistons after cleaning, which is very important.

Failing to do so ends up making an emulsion of oil and water which prevents the valve from operating properly.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget to put a few drops of valve oil in the lead pipe once a week or so; the oil forms an oil mist when playing so covers the inside of the leadpipe and tuning slide with an oil film thus preventing it to rot or that the gunk sticks to the metal.
Reynold Schilkes advise so it's a good idea to me
Aaronis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Aaronis wrote:

I think you missed that he is drying the pistons after cleaning, which is very important.

Failing to do so ends up making an emulsion of oil and water which prevents the valve from operating properly.

Evidently I did miss that. I read the main body, I did not read the link. My response is valid as far as oiling valves goes which is what I thought was being asked. Guess not.
1955 Mt. Vernon Bach
1947 Olds Super
Holton Revelation Model 48
1964 Holton Galaxy Cornet
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
And don't forget to put a few drops of valve oil in the lead pipe once a week or so; the oil forms an oil mist when playing so covers the inside of the leadpipe and tuning slide with an oil film thus preventing it to rot or that the gunk sticks to the metal.
Reynold Schilkes advise so it's a good idea to me

I do this nearly every day after playing. Is every day overkill and should it be done before or after playing?
Dave_3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old joke that applies to this issue (and many others, too).

Q: How do you start an argument?
A: Put 10 trumpet players in a room, and ask them how to oil the valves.

Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetman's provides a wide range of lubricants to fit just about every need. The numbers in this link correspond to the numbers on the containers.

http://www.hetman.com/products.html

I have, and use, everything from #1 to #8. This guide is the same information in another format.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/media/hetman_guide1.pdf

#7 is great for main tuning slides that won't stay put. #8 is good for ones that are better behaved. #4 - #6 for first and third slides, depending on how tight they are and how easily you want them to move. I mix #4 and #3 valve oil on one of my horns because I use my pinky on the third slide so it's got to be pretty slick. Point is that they mix nicely.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave_3 wrote:
There is an old joke that applies to this issue (and many others, too).

Q: How do you start an argument?
A: Put 10 trumpet players in a room, and ask them how to oil the valves.

I daresay it'll only take 3...on pretty much every trumpet-related subject, not just oiling valves. Better have the riot police on standby too.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/post/how-to-clean-the-trumpet

https://www.ultrapureoils.com/post/how-to-oil-trumpet-valves

Definitely don't wait until valves or slides are dry before lubing.

Oil the valves often, and apply grease, gel, slide oil, or whatever works best for you/application on the slides. i.e. tuning slide gets grease, 2 valve slide might get a heavy grease, 3rd valve slide might get a slide oil or mixture of grease and a couple drops of oil.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMonteiro wrote:

I do this nearly every day after playing. Is every day overkill and should it be done before or after playing?

I think it doesn't matter. If you oil after playing you should blow the oil firmly through the instrument without putting the mouthpiece in the reciever I think.
Every day is a little overkill but it doesn't do harm
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Oiling tip from one of the techs online was to remove the valve completely. Hold it over something like your trash. Apply oil to all of the valve and then place back in the horn. That way you are getting all of the valve oiled and not just hoping it get's distributed by movement after oiling.

While this certainly won't hurt anything, it is a waste of oil. The clearance between the valve and casing is very small, and it takes a tiny amount of oil to completely cover the valve. It would likely cover the valve in short order just through capillary action, without even moving the valve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: