• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody play a B cup on C trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Anybody play a B cup on C trumpet? Reply with quote

I have a Bach 1 1/2B and it's a great mouthpiece overall. I love how it handles on my heavywall B flat, although I feel it sounds a little tubby and dark. I like how it feels on C, but again it sounds a bit tubby and dampens that characteristic C trumpet crispness. I'm looking to hear other people's experiences with playing B cups on C trumpet, and which horn (Bb or C) the 1 1/2B would be ideal on. My initial thinking is larger instrument = deeper cup, so the B cup should stay on Bb. But I would enjoy hearing other viewpoints.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 1B as my main mouthpiece on B-flat, C, D, and E-flat trumpets my whole career. I learned this from Adolph Herseth, who used the same thing.

True, the tone is a little darker than the C cup, so I switched to a 1C when I needed a brighter tone and crisper attack.

If your tone seems too dark or lacks sparkle in general, I would not use such a deep V-shaped cup.

David Hickman
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old 3B that sounds great on my Yamaha B flat and also sounds great on my Bach C trumpet. It doesn't sound right on my Edwards B flat, a dark horn with a dark mouthpiece lacked sparkle when I played it. You just have to experiment. I would like to have 1 mouthpiece that I play on B flat and C but haven't been playing enough C lately to tell for sure.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Bach 3B and tried it on my Bach C trumpet. I didn’t care for it on the C at all. It was ok on my Bach Bb and had a really nice sound, but it was pretty demanding to play and I sold it.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My initial thinking is larger instrument = deeper cup, so the B cup should stay on Bb. But I would enjoy hearing other viewpoints.

That was Vincent Bach's thinking when he developed his mouthpiece nomenclature, which is a nice theory, but not a suicide pact for the rest of time! All that matters is that you can achieve your sound and perform with whatever group with the equipment.

I used to use a straight 1 (Mt Vernon, now supposedly the 1X), which is bigger and deeper than the 1B when I was channeling my inner Herseth (not very effectively) on Bb and C, for about 55 years, and still would if I thought I might have to sound symphonic, but only on those 2 horns. I don't care for it on D and up trumpets.They do sound tubby with the big cup. And for smaller groups I liked the 1 1/2 C with Symphonic Backbore.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to point out that not only does the 1 1/2B have a different cup, it has the 7 backbore rather than the #10.
If you have a 1 1/2B top cut and threaded, you could try it with different backbores.
ravel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5b for Bb/C/D
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been playing the 1 1/2B on C again and I find it sounds a lot better when I play it "properly" (with good air support and fundamentals). I run the B alongside a stock 1 1/2C that's brighter but feels a little too focused with the #10 backbore. I'd like to try a 24/24 one of these days.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Bach catalog indicates the B cup was a compromise between the no letter models designed for Bb trumpets and the C cups that were designed for C trumpets. Over the years tastes in tone and purpose have changed to where the old designations of mouthpiece cups relating to instrument type isn’t really accurate anymore, but that was the original intent.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worth pointing out that there are a lot of different b-depth cups and a lot of different shapes, and the rim shape changes the sensation and sound character a lot. Unfortunately no way to figure out what you like without trying a bunch, and not just for a few minutes each but for a protracted period. It’s really the whole system that creates the feeling of resonance and depth, trumpet included.

I’ve always preferred more room in the mouthpiece, be that rim or cup or both. In my classically oriented experience, 1, 1.25, and 1.5 are by far the most common mouthpieces for classical players, in both B and C cups or some other brand’s nomenclature, with a 26-24 throat and a 7 or 24 backbore equivalent. Even 1X size is not so strange. If you think a more bowl-shaped slightly deeper cup, I suggest maybe a Curry 1HBC, something in the Hammond ML lineup, Laskey 80MD or 84MD or D. They all use something like the “H” rim and a fairly bowl-shaped mouthpiece which feels deeper but retains the C cup sparkle, and these makers have all found a balanced formula so we don’t have to feel around in the dark so much. Just have to be conscious of pressure because the flat rim can be a little sneakier about that.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: