• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King SilverSonic vs. Olds Recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: King SilverSonic vs. Olds Recording Reply with quote

If you've played both, which do you prefer and why? Thanks!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both and thought they were fine horns. The King Silversonic I had was from here at TH; it was a new/old stock horn and it was perfection. Not a scratch anywhere; not even a polish scratch. In my opinion, the sterling silver bell yields a very clear sound, but in the cornet wrap, I just couldn't embrace the sound.

I've had two Olds Recording cornets. The first was an older one, with the large(r) Olds mouthpiece needed. I had mouthpieces that fit (Marcinkiewicz flugel pieces fit, some at least, fit perfectly. Perhaps they had too deep a V, too large a drill, but that cornet didn't impress me either.

Then I got another Recording cornet a few months back. From about '55, if I recall, and it takes a standard cornet mouthpiece. What a marvelous horn!! It is so well made, so easy to play... It's a superb cornet. In my opinion, and I like a warm cornet sound, it's head and shoulders over Strads and Xeno's that I've had.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jonathan!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the King Silversonic and the Olds Recording(along with a large collection of other premium cornets). The Silversonic is a light, bright cornet (much brighter than the almost identical Master model with brass bell I have), the Olds Recording has a much "meatier" tone, IMHO.

I play (before COVID) in a Brass Band (all trumpets, though, although I play Cornet both Bb and Eb) and a Municipal Concert band. The guy I sit next to in concert band thought my King Silversonic was a bit too edgy in the section(all trumpets, again) for what it's worth. I was playing a 1 1/2C Bach mouthpiece and admitedly, after not having played the King in quite a few months, was enjoying playing the piece a bit too much. I admit I am known for "using a lot of air" when I get going, though. I have often been referred to as the "great big man with the tiny horn" by some of the nice ladies in our audience, at 250 pounds!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

! like your cihoice of words to describe the difference.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both horns. The King feels lighter in the hand and has a tighter blow in comparison to the heavier Recording (which has a more open blow). For trad jazz, we can hear the sound of Wild Bill on his King horns. Push the King and it lights right up. The Olds is a darker sound. (One has to work to match mouthpieces to the Olds. Both Curry and Warburton offer Olds shanks.) Both are remarkable horns.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw this post and I’m currently considering just the question that was asked. I am about to leave for my summer home and can only take one cornet. I have a 1946 King Silvertone and a 1953 Olds Recording. Both have been restored and I love to play both of them. Both horns have a nice dark sound when played with a deep cornet mouthpiece (Sparx 2 or Curry 2BBC). Both lighten up when played with a shallow, trumpet like mouthpiece (CG3). The King slots better in the upper range and is better in tune with itself, making it easier to play difficult passages. When playing the Olds it is easier to bend notes so it is probably a better solo jazz horn. I will be playing in a summer band and a Big Band Jazz group. Besides a cornet I will also take a trumpet (Olds Recording). The trumpet will be used in both bands and I’m currently planning on taking the King for the summer band concerts.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just saw this post and I’m currently considering just the question that was asked. I am about to leave for my summer home and can only take one cornet. I have a 1946 King Silvertone and a 1953 Olds Recording. Both have been restored and I love to play both of them. Both horns have a nice dark sound when played with a deep cornet mouthpiece (Sparx 2 or Curry 2BBC). Both lighten up when played with a shallow, trumpet like mouthpiece (CG3).

Get a bigger case! But don't leave out the fishing tackle!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Get a bigger case!

The only right answer of course.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a matter of a bigger case but of a bigger car. I am taking one triple case converted to hold a trumpet and my fluegelhorn and a double case to carry my cornet and a borrowed cornet that I'm returning to its owner. If i had more room I would add another double case to take the additional cornet and a second trumpet.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Olds Recording cornet a couple decades ago that was to die for. Unfortunately, finances led me to let it go for a pretty healthy price.

Years later I have had two other Olds Recording cornets that just weren't "all that" and I did let them go. I have also had two King Silversonic cornets, one of which I hung onto and it's the one I still practice. It's pretty much the same design as the original King Master, which several of the Olds are also based on, and it's just easy for me to play and get a nice, compact cornet sound.

I also have an Olds Studio cornet from 1951 that I still play from time to time, and the reason I really like it (and won't let it go) is because I can go from super resonant to super bright if I want to (all on the same mouthpiece). Next time I have a gig in a small venue where it's liable to get noisy in there and I'll need to be able to step on the gas and cut through, that's the horn for those gigs.

Now, if my 1913 Boston 3-Star had a way to compensate for those low Ds and C#s that would be my number one horn, but it doesn't. But I still love playing it from time to time. Yep, down to three cornets that I plan to hang onto. Let's see if that happens.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: