• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lotus Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gemovia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my shipping confirmation email today for a Bronze 2L so I'm assuming other folks in the US will be getting theirs sooner now. Excited!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear!
BRM2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Brass 2S and a Bronze 2M around January 22. I just received the 2S on 24 April. It arrived in a ridiculously huge box for a mouthpiece. The packaging and the mouthpiece looked great. I am located in Germany. I did receive an email stating that it would be shipped separately though. There was no information provided concerning the shipping of the Bronze mouthpiece.

I decided to make this one of my last mouthpiece safari purchases. I have been very good for the past year I currently have been spending most of my time taking lessons to learn how to play jazz better, using my ear, and occasional high note playing just to make sure I still have some of those notes.

I went with a Brass 2S because the mouthpiece I mainly use is a Marcinkiewicz E.13 C. Findley. My main piece is pretty shallow with a tight throat and backbore. The rim is still on the slightly larger size but it has a wide rim. Mouthpiece rims like the the Curry 1, Curry 70M, GR 67, Warburton 3, and my old Bach 1 feel comfortable to me. Bach 3C feels too small and I don't like the way the Bach 1 1/5 or 1 1/4 feel. A Monette B2 rim feels too narrow to me as well.

First impressions of the 2S are pretty positive. The rim was a good fit. It feels pretty comfy. Not too wide or thin. The sound jumped out of the horn despite very little effort. The throat and backbore is much bigger then my normal piece. It definitely has a very full sound despite feeling like it might be a hair shallower then my normal piece. The sound also feels like it is around me more (more feedback to player). Tuning is fine. My daughter thought it was much louder than my normal piece as well. I was able to blow some slightly higher notes as well. While I don't consider myself a lead player, I can play high G to Double Hich Cs.

Some downsides include a little loss in flexibility. Lip slurs do not slot as easily. There is a little more effort if I am jumping around the horn on a Jazz etude. While the sound is big, it spreads sometimes. I feel like in the right hands this piece excels in the mid to upper register. I am also more accustomed to a tighter blow which could be contributing to what I am experiencing with this mouthpiece.

All in all, while it may not be ideal for me at this time, it lives up to how it was advertised. I am still going to to continue trying it. Even if I don't stick with it, I will probably sell several other pieces instead of returning this one. Also, I do not want to deal with a return process if it took me this long to get the mouthpiece.

I ordered a Bronze 2M because I have been playing my cornet a few times a week now that I am retired. I love my sound on my cornet. Unfortunately, I do not like deeper cups on my trumpet and have normally played medium shallow pieces. I am hoping that the Bronze piece will help me get the sound I am looking for using a medium shallow cup. I am afraid that the backbore and throat might be a little to big for me though.

I am now more curious about their 2 MS cup in nickel as well. It seems like it is a slightly tighter throat set up then their other pieces. I will wait until I receive the Bronze piece first though.

Overall, I do not regret my decision to try these mouthpieces. Yes the wait sucked and still sucks, but I believe the product is priced fairly and delivered on its claim.
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received two last week. One is a nickel silver 7M and the other a regular 7L. Both are great in sound and intonation but the 7M nickel silver is even more special. It has a bigger and more defined sound. I think he's on to something with these alternative alloys. My next Lotus with be bronze probably for cornet or flugal but I'm I wait a little while before I order them.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapahi wrote:
I received two last week. One is a nickel silver 7M and the other a regular 7L. Both are great in sound and intonation but the 7M nickel silver is even more special. It has a bigger and more defined sound. I think he's on to something with these alternative alloys. My next Lotus with be bronze probably for cornet or flugal but I'm I wait a little while before I order them.

I received my 3L a few days ago. Wow! It's great. Huge range of possibilities. Gentle and delicate when you back off, but lights up really well and with ease when you step on it. Intonation is great, ease of range is great. Rim is comfy. etc. etc.
As compared to my Monette B3S3 I'd say it has a little more width to the sound. Maybe I'm hearing the differences in overtones? Hard to describe.

I have a few other cup designs on order, but very well might try a bronze 3L at some point too.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acritzer wrote:

I have a few other cup designs on order, but very well might try a bronze 3L at some point too.

That's the one I ordered at end of Feb

Got an update from Lotus, so that's good. I have a feeling they're genuinely trying to make things right, so my giving of benefit of doubt will be validated - I hope.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1L came today. The silver plating is very pretty. It seems thicker than on the "old" Lotus pieces. It came in a cool looking tube with a nice Lotus logo.

Haven't gotten a chance to really play it a bunch. I think I prefer the sound of my other mouthpiece so far.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 2S now used but like new. Shallow but very well playable even for players like me that can bottom out on some lead pieces. It has a comfy rim and enough depth to play well and still with a full but powerful sound.
I like it. It plays like a sportscar and it has, too, a special sound like the 2M. It widens my sound palette nicely.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting?

Not me. I cancelled.

I'll wait till they get their supply chain sorted before I venture into those waters again.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you bailed too soon?

I got an e-mail out of the blue last night from UPS indicating my mouthpiece is set to be delivered tonight between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm.

Nothing yet, but it should be in my impatient hands within a couple of hours.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Lotus mouthpiece is in my hands and it is a stunner!

Beautiful design and workmanship, all covered in a deliciously thick layer of lustrous silver. Real quality.

Mine is a 2L model in bronze. Having never tried a bronze mouthpiece, this should be fun!

I will post my personal playing impressions of my new mouthpiece after I have had time to put it through its paces.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snuck in a little playing on my new Lotus mouthpiece while trying not to wake my grandkids sleeping upstairs.

First impressions are quite favorable, but I know I will have a honeymoon period to go through.

Simply put, the mouthpiece made me feel like I was having a "good day" on the trumpet. This is a wonderful feeling I'm sure we've all had, and it allows for some of our best playing.

I am glad I waited.

Unless someone really needs the money or is intent on showing the Lotus folks how upset they are at all the delays, I would encourage purchasers to continue to be patient and not cancel their orders. The money is not going anywhere and at some point, you will no doubt receive a nice surprise as I did.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I also love my Lotus mouthpiece. It's actually my third Lotus mouthpiece but the other 2 I played sporadically. It is kind of like getting a really fast muscle car, you need to adjust, back off the gas, and learn how to control it. It has a lot of flexibility in terms of dynamics and pitch. I think the honeymoon period on this piece ends when people start to overblow. Do not overblow!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today my AR Resonance mouthpiece seemed to play a little better for me than the Lotus, although I really like the Lotus sound.

Both have pretty much supplanted my Mt. Vernon Bach 1 1/2 C, although the Bach sound is wonderful. The Lotus and AR mouthpieces just play with more precision, if that is the right word.

The next few days will be interesting for me as I try to decide between my two state of the art new(er) mouthpieces!
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Maybe you bailed too soon?

I got an e-mail out of the blue last night from UPS indicating my mouthpiece is set to be delivered tonight between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm.

Nothing yet, but it should be in my impatient hands within a couple of hours.

I didn't bail soon enough.

But that doesn't mean the pieces are not good. I'm certain they are excellent. I just think Lotus rushed their product to the market without making certain of the back end.

Charles (at Lotus)is a good chap to deal with too. I have no issue with the company except for what I've already mentioned.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I didn't bail soon enough. ... I just think Lotus rushed their product to the market without making certain of the back end."

I can't argue with you there.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sharing personal experience here. It’s taken a LONG time to get my order filled and I have had to send back 2 with minor finishing flaws. That being said it’s all been handled with no questions asked, and Charley is very nice to chat with about playing characteristics and model descriptions.

The last batch I received which completed my order are excellent! 3L bronze, 3M and 3M2. A new 3L brass will be sent soon.

The best I can say is that the website descriptions while colorful and goofy are actually accurate to how they play.
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents....I ordered two mouthpieces and have had generally good communication with Charles. The first mouthpiece was wobbly with flaky silver and the second was the wrong size. Still waiting to get the US address for sending pieces back.

Does anyone know how much tighter the 3M/3M2 would be as compared to a 3L2? Thanks!
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2015trumpet wrote:
Just my two cents....I ordered two mouthpieces and have had generally good communication with Charles. The first mouthpiece was wobbly with flaky silver and the second was the wrong size. Still waiting to get the US address for sending pieces back.

Does anyone know how much tighter the 3M/3M2 would be as compared to a 3L2? Thanks!

I haven’t played the L2. But I would say that only the M2 is noticeably “tighter” than the L. The M certainly brings an easier/faster ring to the upper register, but I wouldn’t describe it as tighter. I feel as though I can still push air hard through the M while the M2 needs just a little bit of backing off to respond the best it can. Hope that helps.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s the US address I was just given for exchanges/returns.

Ben Paille
4753B Sandusky Ct.
Scott Air Force Base, IL 62225
United States

I’d double check of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20

Jump to: