• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Training System

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Compression Training System Reply with quote

Just curious who has tried out Larry Meregilliano's Compression Training System?

Looks like an interesting idea and seems like it would target the muscles we use to play possibly better than other isometrics like the pencil exercise, P.E.T.E or even buzzing, because the rim of the mouthpiece is in play?

Quite a few pros seem to be finding it useful: Mike Lovatt, Mark Upton... This guy:

Link

This podcast was interesting as well. Louis Dowdeswell also mentions that he finds it useful as a teaching aid.
https://www.facebook.com/larry.meregillano/videos/10158874633805255

Anyone else here tried it out?

Seems like a great way to stay in shape when you can't get as much time on the trumpet as you'd like, which is most of the time for most people I'd guess!
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one 2 weeks ago, and actually posted a topic quite similar to this one last week. So far I've had great results. For me, the results were almost instantaneous. Once your body figures out how to generate more pressure at the aperture, that's how you play higher notes. I think that's how Louis Dowdeswell was talking about it as a teaching tool in the podcast. To me, the benefits carry over beyond range, and have resulted in better articulations, stronger sound across the whole horn, especially in the low register, a better buzz, and a much easier playing experience. I've had great results with it so far and will definitely be recommending it to my trumpet playing friends. I know Larry has really put his heart and soul into the CTS, and I hope more people will try it out. For the price, it really is a great deal, especially considering it has done more for my range and facility than any new mouthpiece or horn has. I think it includes a lesson with Larry as well, which really makes it a steal.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! I've tried most gadgets and they usually help with keeping you in shape, but none of them will really correct how you actually play the instrument in the way you're describing, that's quite unique! Guess I'd better give it a go!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else?
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a link of where to buy this system ?
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Is there a link of where to buy this system ?

I looked around and found this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cts-larrymeregillano/compression-training-system-by-larry-meregillano
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Larry's Website:
https://www.trumpetlegacy.com

I think the kickstarter is closed now. I bought it from the website. You need to make a login when you checkout, and you can get access to the ebook and tutorial videos as soon as you checkout. I think the CTS comes with a one-on-one lesson with Larry as well, which I have not used yet.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
This is Larry's Website:
https://www.trumpetlegacy.com

I think the kickstarter is closed now. I bought it from the website. You need to make a login when you checkout, and you can get access to the ebook and tutorial videos as soon as you checkout. I think the CTS comes with a one-on-one lesson with Larry as well, which I have not used yet.

Thanks!
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to unbury this thread. I got mine and it's remarkable. The results can be felt immediately, and as a semi pro with limited time to practice traditionally, this is what the doctor ordered. Grab one and you'll thank me later.

ed
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Compression+Training+System&view=detail&mid=2BBB7EA9B297022D37B32BBB7EA9B297022D37B3&FORM=VIRE

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is the kickstarter campaign which is long over. Here's the proper link:

https://www.trumpetlegacy.com/

ed
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read "Puff" of air, I guess I'm so used to winds playing and Marial Arts activities, that I automatically push "from the belly". (Misnomer, but you know what I mean).

But when I read the instructions about how to use the CTS Meter, I read the emphasis to not expel this "Puff" from the abdomen - which I automatically do.

The only way I know to expel air without using the "diaphragm" is to isolate the mouth from the rest of the physical breathing system as when I use circular breathing. That way, one can expel air from the mouth at the same time as one inhales with the lungs.

Is this latter what he means? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
When I read "Puff" of air, I guess I'm so used to winds playing and Marial Arts activities, that I automatically push "from the belly". (Misnomer, but you know what I mean).

But when I read the instructions about how to use the CTS Meter, I read the emphasis to not expel this "Puff" from the abdomen - which I automatically do.

The only way I know to expel air without using the "diaphragm" is to isolate the mouth from the rest of the physical breathing system as when I use circular breathing. That way, one can expel air from the mouth at the same time as one inhales with the lungs.

Is this latter what he means? Thanks.

Not sure if you've gotten to the online instructions and weekly routine (register on his site) but he mentions that "Just as in circular breathing, the air is driven forward by the compression of the oral cavity."

It's also noted that this is specific to the training system and not for normal playing.

As I've been doing it, what I've found is that the compression practice technique starts to be subconsciously layered on top of good, athletic breathing in the upper register. I have better staying power over the last couple months and faster recovery times. I also picked up a couple more usable notes.
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, RETrumpet. I haven't contacted him online. I've been waiting for the Compression Meter to arrive. But you answered my question. Thanks, K-

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if you've gotten to the online instructions and weekly routine (register on his site) but he mentions that "Just as in circular breathing, the air is driven forward by the compression of the oral cavity."

The air pressure in the oral space can be raised with this technique. But only when the lung air pressure is closed off from the oral space and routed through the nose. This mechanical force from the mouth floor creates pressure or, in reverse, a vacuum in the oral space while being capable of lung respiration through the nose.

But the air pressure increases against all surfaces of the oral space, not just "forward".

It is also often erroneously claimed that a similar action of the tongue, when playing normally from the lung air pressure, increases the air pressure in the oral space. It does not.

The isolated oral-space can create pressures(and vacuums) greater than what lung respiration does. But this cannot sustain significant flows.

One can easily do the isometric-style exercises of the "compression training system" with a mouthpiece and a fingertip to block the flow of air.
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CTS and Larry explained the method of usage very well. Used correctly it quickly debunks the urge to overblow. The standout with the CTS is with the TORR pressure gauge you can see what level of compression you have and simulate that feel as best you can when actually playing. It’s similar to the TACH meter on a car. What ROM to shift and when. This can be equated to some level in performance circumstances. Pressure measurements will vary also according to demand and intent as well as acoustic considerations. What could be bad about that.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as soon as you add normal "abdominal" air support, doesn't that nullify the mouth-only pressure effect?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
But as soon as you add normal "abdominal" air support, doesn't that nullify the mouth-only pressure effect?

---------------------------
Yes, if the air passage from mouth to lungs is open. Any compression done in the mouth would also affect the lung air pressure. And the lung air capacity is much larger than the mouth, so any 'compression action' in the mouth would have a much smaller overall effect.

You will likely have to carefully try for yourself, to determine whether additional compression is occurring due to 'mouth actions', or whether the lungs, chest, torso, throat, etc. are also involved.

FORCE a full exhale, and HOLD the exhale muscle tension and open your relaxed mouth. While still holding the exhale tension, use you mouth to create more pressure and more exhale. The exhale tension needs to be fully maintained the entire time.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that's how he's explaining the Meter's use, Jay. Do you have a meter?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: