• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Concrete Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
callee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Concrete Trumpet Reply with quote

Interesting.

https://www.designboom.com/design/functional-valveless-trumpet-single-concrete-block-04-29-2021/
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the world
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have way too much time on their hands?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people think holding up a fanfare trumpet during a gig is tiring...
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall from earlier similar 'concrete trumpets' that the sound was definitely 'like a trumpet' and very bright.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it applies too much to this, but back in the 80's, I was a power plant engineer, and my primary responsibility was a large scale "baghouse" (the largest in the world, at the time, 2 units that had 13,440 filter bags each, 33 feet tall by 12 inches in diameter, which equals about 64 acres of fabric total, as I recall). Anyway, the purpose of this equipment was to collect the particulate emissions (the "smoke particles") from a large scale coal-fueled boiler. The fans that drew the air through the units were 14,000 horsepower each, 3 per unit.

As you might imagine, the power demand from those fans was significant, and I put together a project to utilize sonic energy (Really loud sound) to help clean the particles from the fabric (they were enclosed in 64 large heavily insulated compartments). The project was very successful, reducing the fan costs for each unit by over $140,000 per year.

The sound was generated by air driven "sonic horns", which utilized an analogue to a trumpet embouchure, with a titanium plate (a disk that vibrated like your lips do on the mouthpiece) on a steel rim.

There was a great deal of interest in the tests, especially since the results I was getting went against "conventional wisdom", and the best results I got was with a sonic horn that had a significantly lower total acoustic output than the favored larger horns. As a trumpet player and former band teacher, I noticed that what was happening was the overperforming horns had a trumpet shaped cast bell, rather than the straight cone on all the other brands I was testing, and that horn was generating a larger range of overtones.

The conventional wisdom was that a blast of 250 Hz sound would stimulate the dust to roll off the bags. What I was able to demonstrate was that the trumpet analogue bell was generating a series that had a lesser peak at about 1200 Hz, that was creating a sympathetic vibration in the supports of the bags, which created better cleaning by "playing" the frequency of the support structure.

Anyway, the tie in to the concrete horn was that I needed to justify what I knew to the more senior engineers, so I referred to a bell study done by Dr. Aurthur Benade of Case Western university, for Conn, in the mid 50's. Dr. Benade was still at Case Western, and we set up a 2 hour phone conference with the good Dr. After he heard the details of our testing, he confirmed our belief that the trumpet shaped, heavy cast bell was what gave us the unexpected success. He stated that the most efficient bell would, in fact, by a concrete bell with a smooth inner surface, defining efficiency as the maximum acoustic output for the energy input. I did try fitting one of the sound generators with a simple tube designed to drive the entire output into a single frequency, which was very effective, but every time I blew it, it demolished a $200 titanium diaphragm.

This is because as a light bell begins to vibrate, the energy used by the vibrating air column actually reduces the acoustic power available. Also, the vibrating metal gives us trumpet players a more satisfying sound, so even if we did get a concrete bell on our next generation Harrelson, we might not like the sound so well. Dr. Benade also told me that Vincent Bach used to say if had a concrete bell, he could make a very powerful horn. Anyway, this thread just reminded me of what I had learned all those years ago.

And, yes, while the bags are still being cleaned by "trumpet sound", the unit I started up is not still the largest. I think Australia took that prize a few years after my unit was operating. And almost everyone in the biz uses acoustic cleaning to augment bag cleaning.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important considerations...

How does it slot compared to a Strad?

How much to get it cryo treated?

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
As a trumpet player and former band teacher, I noticed that what was happening was the overperforming horns had a trumpet shaped cast bell, rather than the straight cone on all the other brands I was testing, and that horn was generating a larger range of overtones.

I truly enjoyed reading this account (I have a degree in applied physics and in full disclosure barely made it out of the university by the skin of my teeth!)

Personal question: is your degree in engineering and you moved into band teaching later in life or vice versa? I expect you are quick to answer students' oft-asked question "When are we ever going to use this algebra (or calculus, for that matter?)"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: