• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Black Triangles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Black Triangles Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I'm a very long time lurker (15+ years) but thought I'd finally make an account as I could really use some help from y'all. I'm sort of a comeback player in that I took a full 2 years off playing while getting orthodontic treatment as an adult. Treatment is done and getting back into shape has been going well. However, there's one thing that has been bothering me, which is that I get a lot of air/moisture leakage to where I have to stop and dry out the mouthpiece. I have always been a "dry" player.

I had to have a tooth removed in the bottom during treatment, and so now, even after everything is straightened out, I have several black triangles on the bottom row of teeth. Based on how it feels, I'm 90% certain that these are the cause of the excessive moisture, but I can't say for sure. The only other cause could be the permanent retainer wire on the bottom, but based on some threads in this forum, it seems that people have had no issue with those. The only thing my dentist said was that people get these black triangles filled sometimes for speech reasons as air/moisture escapes, which supports my theory.

I want to know if any of y'all have had experience with this and whether or not getting these triangles filled solved the issue. Just don't want a rather expensive procedure to be for nothing.

Best regards
Sur

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one responded, I decided to go ahead and be the guinea pig for this (I had the procedure done). I was going to take a couple of days to make sure, but the contrast between before and after is so stark after just the first few notes that there's no need. Everything is far easier, and all fuzzy sound as well as moisture leakage is gone. Flexibility is dramatically improved as well, presumably because air flow is much better with all air going where you want it to go. Not surprisingly, it's similar to the difference in playing feel you get when you realize you've left the water valve open and finally close it. Prior to getting them treated and without another reference point, it just feels like you might be having a bad day or getting back into shape, but I can't emphasize enough how significant of an impact these types of gaps actually seem to have.

In my observation, very small gaps/triangles don't have any negative effect, because there is too much resistance through small openings for air to easily/unintentionally leak. There must be a breaking point in size where it actually matters. If anyone has these same issues and notices large enough black triangles or other gaps where air could leak through without much resistance, I highly HIGHLY recommend getting it treated.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update and glad it worked out for you. I'd never heard of this before. Hopefully it will help the community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: