• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help to decide on a student horn for a beginner

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best choice for a beginner trumpet
Yamaha YTR-2330
40%
 40%  [ 11 ]
Getzen 300 Series
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
Nikkan (Yamaha) YTR-2310
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-1335
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-1310
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yamaha YTR-236
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Olds Ambassador
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 27

mograph

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may put in a word for the lowly King 601 ... I still have mine from 1979, and after many years of outdoor play, it's still solid, and an easy blow ... with really fast valves and a lyre holder! yay!

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18599
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 2330 is a solid choice, but if you see a good deal on any other used YTR-2xxx series horns, those are great too. If buying on eBay, Yamaha consistency is so good that you can be sure you're getting a quality instrument. I will vouch for the 2320 as an excellent student horn that plays nearly, if not as well as an intermediate instrument.

Beyond that, any functioning trumpet will do for learning the basics.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught middle school band for 33 years. I have never seen a bad Getzen 300. I mean in good condition. If they are damaged, that is another thing. My students had problems with valves from many different major brands of beginner horns. Never with Getzen. I have played many of them over the years. I would not hesitate to take a Getzen 300 on a gig.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Blessing. Worked just fine for the 12 years until I bought the Bach. Still have it, never had any issue. Not even a broken spring. Great for beginners, a little tight as the kids grow older and can handle more air. Sound is a little thinner than a pro-ish horn, but OK. Can be had cheap on the used market, at least over here.

@mograph: just read your in signature line you started in 1979 - first reaction was, man he’s been at it for a long time. Just to realize a split second later that I started in 1980
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most beginner horns from reputable companies are going to be okay. Some of the off brand cheap stuff can have valve problems so bad that the instrument becomes unplayable.

Also, be careful about some brand names. For example, Olds trumpets made after the 1970s are not the same company as the old Olds company. The old Blessings are not the same as the new Blessings.
JonY

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

I am undecided between the YTR2330 and the YTR3335. So maybe I will ask the questions a little differently.

If you were to looking for a backup to your pro level horns, between the YTR2330 and the YTR3335, which would you choose and why?

JonY
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:
If you were to looking for a backup to your pro level horns, between the YTR2330 and the YTR3335, which would you choose and why?

JonY

Neither. A student horn, even a good one, does not afford a player who has advanced sufficiently to exploit the added features of pro level horns (or enough not to be compromised by his inability to control them), the freedom to focus on musicianship. It demands attention to get the sound desired that comes easily on a more advanced horn once the player is developed enough, and thus takes attention away from the finer aspects of performance.

Student instruments are important and necessary tools to help players develop as quickly and as competently as possible. Once they have served their purpose, then it is time to move on to a new tool that facilitates further growth - but which might have impeded the early growth. So a student horn just does not work as back-up for a pro level instrument.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:
... If you were to looking for a backup to your pro level horns, between the YTR2330 and the YTR3335, which would you choose and why?

JonY

--------------------------
The confusing part is 'what is a backup horn?'
If you mean another horn that is equally 'good' with no compromises, then that's a high level to reach with a less expensive horn.

For me, my 'backup' is an inexpensive used Blessing student model that I bought off Craigslist - I bought it for use on a band wagon, and other situations where I didn't feel comfortable using my 'good' horn.
It works fine and I've been playing it regularly for about 2 years now. It might not sound the same as my other horn, but it does not have any major drawbacks that hamper my playing.

I wouldn't evaluate between the 2 Yamaha's by their model number - more important considerations are their condition, and how they feel in your hands.
e.g. valve action, 1st & 3rd slide movement, dents, damage, etc.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:

The one that plays better.

I've got older pro horns to back up my older pro horns (and more of the same behind that), so it's a moot point for me.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Just deconstructing the motivations underlying the selection set for the survey makes it pretty clear that the poster already feels "any student Yamaha" is the probable choice. I would agree.

Curious: would you really say Getzen or (original) Olds Ambassador are inferior, given that all 3 are in the same condition?

I'd think any are fine, with the possible exception being the higher number Yamaha might be designed as an intermediate horn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Just deconstructing the motivations underlying the selection set for the survey makes it pretty clear that the poster already feels "any student Yamaha" is the probable choice. I would agree.

Curious: would you really say Getzen or (original) Olds Ambassador are inferior, given that all 3 are in the same condition?

I'd think any are fine, with the possible exception being the higher number Yamaha might be designed as an intermediate horn

5 Yamaha, 1 Getzen, 1 Olds - I would say the OP already knew Yamaha is the best bet.

And while I would not say either the Getzen 300 (a 1960s nameplate still in production) or the Ambassador (a 1940s design that lasted 30 years) are "inferior", there are a lot of worn out ones, and they fit unique (and very different) conceptions of trumpet sound relative to the Bach-esque Yamahas that are perhaps slightly better "training wheels" for the current cultural expectation of trumpet sound.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
JonY

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
razeontherock wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

5 Yamaha, 1 Getzen, 1 Olds - I would say the OP already knew Yamaha is the best bet.

And while I would not say either the Getzen 300 (a 1960s nameplate still in production) or the Ambassador (a 1940s design that lasted 30 years) are "inferior", there are a lot of worn out ones, and they fit unique (and very different) conceptions of trumpet sound relative to the Bach-esque Yamahas that are perhaps slightly better "training wheels" for the current cultural expectation of trumpet sound.

The horn that I initially decided to get was an Olds Ambassador. From most of the recordings that I have heard of them, they always have a nice core sound which is warm and round. I also find them visually appealing. Having said that, there were many things that were working against such a decision. Where I live, there isn't much of a used horn market let alone a vintage horn market. I could not get my hands on an Ambassador to try. The cost of Olds Ambassadors have also been going up. The ones(Non LA) that are in good condition would start at about USD350 to USD450 and some even go for USD700 and more for an LA model. There is also the issue of high shipping cost which, in some cases, equal to about 30% to 50%, and even close to 100% of the cost of the horn. Quite a number of vintage horn sellers and shops, including those on Reverb and eBay, are reluctant to ship to my country. There is also the currency exchange rate to consider. I am also not experienced enough to be able to evaluate the state of a horn and how well it will play based on visuals provided by the sellers. And at such high cost of shipping, returning a horn is not really a viable option. Given the current situation, I believe that the Yamaha is the better option.
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for such broad reviews, recommendations, and also for sharing your experience! I recently started studying at a music school and now I need to prepare a speech. It was a little difficult for me to figure it out, so I used https://edubirdie.com/speech-writing-service so as not to be mistaken with facts about different musical instruments and manufacturers. Hopefully, in the future, this will help me choose the right tool for me!

Last edited by RobertCharlton on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonY wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great feedback.
JonY

Getzen 700 Eterna. a pro quality horn in step-up clothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: