• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR mouthpiece opinions/experience

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: GR mouthpiece opinions/experience Reply with quote

Does anyone have input for their thoughts on the GR C series cups or MX cups? (C, C*, C**, MX, or other classically-focused GRs)

I have some higher compression GR models coming in the mail to try for a new lead setup. If I like one, I'd like to get another GR to switch to as well for classical/all around playing.

Extra info:

In the mail, I have coming a 64S, 64Z*, and 64M for a trial period. Thinking about trying to get my hands on a 64SZ too to try eventually.

Right now, what I'm used to playing is Pickett 7 (.64'') tops of varying depths (shallower for lead, deeper for classical) on a #10-3/27 Pickett backbore (medium open) converted for sleeves. They just seem to not be ideal for me for a several small reasons that end up making a pretty big difference in the end.

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts.

Isaac
trptdave

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: GR mouthpiece opinions/experience Reply with quote

Brian Scriver is the expert on this, but I have extensive experience with this diameter. Please note the 64Z* is a different rim than standard, and yes you will be able to tell the difference. Having said that, it is my favorite GR rim. Your mileage may vary.

The 64M is a great all around Bb mouthpiece with the #2 backbore standard. As far as finding a C cup series to compliment that, GR does make a GR 64C* with a #3 backbore. The alpha angle is close, and the rim is same standard GR 64 rim. I used that on a C trumpet and was very happy with it. I would suggest you start with that before finding out if you need the C**, as that piece is more open. It is all about balancing the resistance between you, the horn, and the mouthpiece.

The 64S and 64SZ are also fine pieces and both come with the #1 backbore standard. Good, aggressive backbore. I used that backbore on my Bb for all types of playing. Just loved it on my Schilke B5.
Melk Custom Bb
Melk Custom C
Melk Eb Conversion
Schilke XA1
Schilke P5-4
Schilke 1041L
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I second finding the right resistance for player, horn and mouthpiece. I use the 67MX on my Artisan trumpet, but find that the 67M2 is better for my Mount Vernon Bach and Schilke B6. I use a 67 M-B studio blank on my Yamaha horn. So, I have customized my choice based on each horn’s resistance. I try to get the fullest sound while maintaining flexibility, ease of playing and range. Also pay attention to intonation with each mouthpiece choice. GR’s are easy to switch cup depths when you stay within your preferred rim size.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GR mouthpiece opinions/experience Reply with quote

trptdave wrote:
The 64M is a great all around Bb mouthpiece with the #2 backbore standard. As far as finding a C cup series to compliment that, GR does make a GR 64C* with a #3 backbore. The alpha angle is close, and the rim is same standard GR 64 rim. I used that on a C trumpet and was very happy with it. I would suggest you start with that before finding out if you need the C**, as that piece is more open. It is all about balancing the resistance between you, the horn, and the mouthpiece.

The 64S and 64SZ are also fine pieces and both come with the #1 backbore standard. Good, aggressive backbore. I used that backbore on my Bb for all types of playing. Just loved it on my Schilke B5.

Great info Dave, Thanks!

trptdave wrote:
Brian Scriver is the expert on this, but I have extensive experience with this diameter. Please note the 64Z* is a different rim than standard, and yes you will be able to tell the difference. Having said that, it is my favorite GR rim. Your mileage may vary.

I've read as much as I can about the parameters on GRs site. I'm aware how different rims hit different peoples' faces differently, but am curious to your perception of the Z* rim. Why is it your favorite GR rim?

Isaac
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GR Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Yogadidit wrote:
I second finding the right resistance for player, horn and mouthpiece. I use the 67MX on my Artisan trumpet, but find that the 67M2 is better for my Mount Vernon Bach and Schilke B6. I use a 67 M-B studio blank on my Yamaha horn. So, I have customized my choice based on each horn’s resistance. I try to get the fullest sound while maintaining flexibility, ease of playing and range. Also pay attention to intonation with each mouthpiece choice. GR’s are easy to switch cup depths when you stay within your preferred rim size.

Yeah, sometimes it's a balancing act matching everything up...Guess I'm lucky I can't afford quite as many lovely Bb alternatives
trptdave

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: GR mouthpiece opinions/experience Reply with quote

For me, the Z* rim gave me what I was missing about the standard rim, which was a wider feel and more support on the outside, and kept what I liked, which was the crisp, clean attacks. Unfortunately I am not currently playing at all, but I did however, play the standard rim for a LONG time. It is a very good all around rim.

When you start, warm up with a piece you are familiar with, and if possible get a copy of the GR playing tests. They do help in finding what works, especially in regards to alpha angle with the lower register exercises. The difference between the GR 64M and GR 64S is not only cup volume, but alpha angle. You should after awhile zero in on which one you tolerate better.

Also, GR does make a GR 64MX piece. I used that for awhile on C trumpet, but found for me the 64C* fit better. All are fine pieces, and when you get a match I think you will really enjoy playing them.[/i]
Melk Custom Bb
Melk Custom C
Melk Eb Conversion
Schilke XA1
Schilke P5-4
Schilke 1041L
MrBubbles0305

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you able to have a trial period through??? I would love to try out some GR's
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBubbles0305 wrote:
Where are you able to have a trial period through??? I would love to try out some GR's

Thompson Music is the only GR dealer that offers trial policies. Their customer service is great, but their supply is often severely limited. That's what happens when you are the only dealer that offers that service for mouthpieces as popular as GR.
TrumpetIsaac

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: GR mouthpiece opinions/experience Reply with quote

trptdave wrote:
For me, the Z* rim gave me what I was missing about the standard rim, which was a wider feel and more support on the outside, and kept what I liked, which was the crisp, clean attacks. Unfortunately I am not currently playing at all, but I did however, play the standard rim for a LONG time. It is a very good all around rim.

Nice. I have strayed away from 'wider/flatter' rims in the past because I've had a couple bad experiences with losing flexibility with other brands. After realizing it has probably more to do with the high point of the rim rather than the actual width, I thought I'd give another one a try. Curious to see what this particular one is like for me.

trptdave wrote:
When you start, warm up with a piece you are familiar with, and if possible get a copy of the GR playing tests. They do help in finding what works, especially in regards to alpha angle with the lower register exercises. The difference between the GR 64M and GR 64S is not only cup volume, but alpha angle. You should after awhile zero in on which one you tolerate better.

yeah, the playing tests are great. I do have a copy. I haven't been able to really test multiple alpha angles back to back before so this should be a good thing as well as the different rims. A couple of the things that I feel like are holding me back somehow with my current pieces are the rim contours and alpha angles. I tried to do some custom work with Pickett to change these things to see what changed, but good and consistent results are hard to come by when the manufacturer doesn't define these parameters anywhere close to the level of precision as GR does. The best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: