• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to go from student to intermediate horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
TheAidanAU wrote:
I'm sorry, I thought I included the brand. I have an Etude ETR-100 Series. Also, thank you for your opinion, it is very appreciated.

A base student Yamaha (YTR-2335) would be a "step-up" by comparison.

I concur.

I also suggest that you look for opportunities to try other horns, even other "student" models and see if you perceive a benefit. I've played student horns for many years and really only traded up because I liked the sound and feel better, not because they allowed me to do things I couldn't on the student model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMonteiro wrote:
I'm under the impression that many student horns aren't optimized for playing in the upper range since many beginners and students don't have a need for it. The horn is built to make the lower and mid range sound good at the expense of upper range slotting. Most student horns should get you up to high C decently, but beyond that is significantly harder. Most student horns I've played are tight up high (my Blessing in particular barely wants to make any sound above high C), while pro horns don't fight back as hard and actually have reachable slots up there. Don't get me wrong, proper technique is important, but equipment does have an impact.

I think this kind of not true.

It's true that most student horns don't play spectacularly in the post high C upper register. I'll just add that a good many professional horns have this same issue.

Your posts makes it sound like student horns aren't optimized. Well, that's true. I'll further say a lot of professional horns are also not optimized for that.

Also, your Blessing horn just sounds like it's got some problems. I play tested student trumpets in rather significant quantities in my retail job. Most of them play up to high C and a bit past just fine. These included Bach TR300s, Yamaha Advantage/2335s, and Jupiters.

Your Blessing likely just has issues.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, when you feel like the horn is holding you back, find a good professional level trumpet. Go to your local store and try some, or if you can't try many, get a Bach Strad or Yamaha Xeno used online. You almost can never go wrong with those. Good luck!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most of my students owning a pro horn is not an option as the cost is prohibitive for most their families. Intermediate horns are an option because they can be had in the sub-$2000 range. I do recommend used pro horns, but they rarely go that route.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of nice used professional trumpets for sale on this site. I saw 3 or 4 under $2,000 that would serve you well. In particular, a Schilke & a Benge, both under $1,600. There was a Bach Strad and a Yamaha that I saw in my quick search.

The nice thing about buying used is you can turn around and sell it for about what you paid. No real loss of investment if it doesn't work out for you.

I'm not selling any horns now. If you want further guidance on a used horn here, I'd be happy to help.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: When to go from student to intermediate horn? Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently on my 4th year of playing trumpet. I originally started around September 2017, and I have improved a lot since then. I can really only play around high G, and sometimes higher C if I am lucky. I am wondering if my trumpet is holding me back, or if I need to practice more. If it is my trumpet, can anyone please suggest intermediate horns? Thank you.

Aidan

Intermediate / step-up horns are the biggest scam. Go pro. Used, 1200 - 1800 you can get something that will be fine through College. Any of them will be a clone of a Bach Strad. Our marketplace here probably has a million choices like this, and many here enjoy perusing and discussing this. You're not likely to find better value elsewhere, unless if you just get lucky with the risk of a thrift shop.

Without reading a single response you've gotten I bet this is the majority view.

Practicing more: when, what, and HOW to practice is the way to progress! A great horn will only help. If it's one or the other, intelligent disciplined practice and the best teacher you can get is the clear winner.

With a teacher you might experiment with mouthpiece sometime; often that will further progress more than a different horn.

Now I'll read the thread and find what horn you're playing. Surely you included that, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: