• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

First off, I want to thank Antonio for the wonderful work he does. I’m a huge fan of what he’s done and the pallet of gear options he’s created. I fell in love with his pieces when I tried his MC size in Bronze. I played on that for a while until I discovered that the MLC is the PERFECT fit for me. I’ve never found a mouthpiece without a downside, until that one. I’m serious. Every single aspect of my playing improved when I stated playing on it. It just works perfectly for me, and I’m able to translate the sound in my head to the sound I make without delay or imperfections. After seeing his new design, I fell in love and had to get one. I’ve always been one for looks, but there’s no way I’ll get something that looks pretty, but plays like crap. Luckily, this mouthpiece both plays and looks other worldly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/00d7gxcts4ob63c/Dama%20con%20Arpa%20Ritorta.heic?dl=0

Again, I want to express my appreciation and gratitude for Antonio and all those who put in effort to make the products at AR Resonance. Did I mention the mouthpiece arrived in two days from Italy to Utah?? Top tier customer service, products, everything. Can’t recommend them enough.[/b]
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
First off, I want to thank Antonio for the wonderful work he does. I’m a huge fan of what he’s done and the pallet of gear options he’s created. I fell in love with his pieces when I tried his MC size in Bronze. I played on that for a while until I discovered that the MLC is the PERFECT fit for me. I’ve never found a mouthpiece without a downside, until that one. I’m serious. Every single aspect of my playing improved when I stated playing on it. It just works perfectly for me, and I’m able to translate the sound in my head to the sound I make without delay or imperfections. After seeing his new design, I fell in love and had to get one. I’ve always been one for looks, but there’s no way I’ll get something that looks pretty, but plays like crap. Luckily, this mouthpiece both plays and looks other worldly.

Again, I want to express my appreciation and gratitude for Antonio and all those who put in effort to make the products at AR Resonance. Did I mention the mouthpiece arrived in two days from Italy to Utah?? Top tier customer service, products, everything. Can’t recommend them enough.[/b]

SO........WHAT makes it so special? Can you elaborate a bit?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Bryant Jordan wrote:

I doubt that he can really give you specific details about how the dimensions, cup and backbore shape, drill hole and other specifications affect the performance he perceives he's getting. Based on his description that EVERYTHING improved it may be that before he was simply playing on a mouthpiece that was wrong for him and now he has one that's right for him.

Mouthpieces are very personal in terms of how the various dimensions, cup and backbore shapes, specifications, drill hole, etc. work with your personal physiology, playing characteristics and horn. What works well for one player may be completely wrong for another player no matter how enthusiastic the first player is about the mouthpiece.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:

Some of the physical aspects that are different for AR mouthpieces are the large throat, backbore and the materials used to make them. Having tried 2 otherwise equal 'brass' and 'bronze' AR cups side by side, I can confirm the materials used in the mouthpieces have a noticeable effect. Can't say that's what makes them special though, as I have AR mouthpieces made from both materials and I like them equally.

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Based on his description that EVERYTHING improved it may be that before he was simply playing on a mouthpiece that was wrong for him and now he has one that's right for him.

I don't presume to speak for Bryant, but my experience with AR Resonance mouthpieces are similar to his. Maybe 'everything' is not technically true, but for the AR mouthpiece improved several aspects of my playing (most notably tone stability, intonation and sound quality).

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Mouthpieces are very personal in terms of how the various dimensions, cup and backbore shapes, specifications, drill hole, etc. work with your personal physiology, playing characteristics and horn. What works well for one player may be completely wrong for another player no matter how enthusiastic the first player is about the mouthpiece.

Well put. As they say, your mileage may vary.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My AR Resonance mouthpiece responds easily at lower volume levels and helps with note centering, especially with fast passages. And the octaves are much less compressed compared to my Bach 1 1/2C.

Bottom line for me is it just feels good while playing it. This is important to me now that I am playing mostly for my own enjoyment.
cplt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to add that I’ve had a similar experience with the MLC 40/40 M setup. It plays like a dream, but I think I started on it too early into this comeback. I’ve switched to slightly tighter equipment — still a 1.5 rim, but smaller throat and backbore — and that’s helping with endurance and articulation, but I miss the AR’s amazing sound.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be perfectly honest, there is one thing. I play a brass MC 40m AR mouthpiece (intended for 'classical' music) and I've found that there seems to be an upper limit as to how loud I can play it. It's easy enough to make a big sound, but I feel it cannot be pushed to the extremely loud volumes you sometimes need when the whole orchestra plays FF and the trumpet should pierce through that.

It's not really an issue for me, I prefer to play softly (now that I finally can do so ), but sometimes I wish I could push it to get a little bit more.

The AR lead piece I have however (MSLead 40s in bronze), easily pierces through the whole orchestra (sometimes a little too much) and it can be pushed. Maybe it's due to the cup materials...I did pick brass over bronze for my classical cup precisely because I wanted it to be more mellow than the lead cup.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news here:

The 'Holy Grail' mouthpiece is a dream world entity and does not exist nor will ever exist in the real world.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:

I predict you'll be on another mouthpiece inside of a year. There's no such thing as a "grail" mouthpiece.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Bryant Jordan wrote:

I predict you'll be on another mouthpiece inside of a year. There's no such thing as a "grail" mouthpiece.

Check back in a year from now and ask, I don't think I will.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Patrick here, we'll see, you have about 5% chance.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance) Reply with quote

Bryant Jordan wrote:
Check back in a year from now and ask, I don't think I will.

Possible - some trumpet players rarely make changes. I was on essentially the same two mouthpieces for almost 20 years. With that said, I know more trumpet players who are never satisfied and are constantly looking for that little extra edge than player like me who rarely change.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible that he sticks with it. I’ve only played five or six different mouthpieces in 41 years and know a few people who have not changed much more. So there is hope
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a metaphor rather than a real object, I'd subscribe to the theory that a player can find their personal 'grail' mouthpiece (or instrument for that matter). It doesn't even have to last for the rest of their lives either: I read it as Byrant stating that a particular piece of gear has been a major breakthrough for him.

As for a literal holy grail mouthpiece for every player, I agree that they don't exist and in the sense that mouthpieces are very personal, AR mouthpieces are no different from any others.

Whether or not he will stick with it beyond a year is pretty much irrelevant from my perspective, but for what it's worth I've been playing AR mouthpieces for well over a year now and I'm still convinced they're the best pick for me (played one of my old mouthpieces the other day and well...ugh).
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Still perfect. Can't find a flaw with this thing. I'm constantly trying other pieces and nothing stacks up.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad it's working out for you! The right mouthpiece is important! Have fun and make music!

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it's for sale on the marketplace, what happened?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose just the regular TH flow of things.

See above, posts 8, 9 and 11.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between just moving on or using hyperbole which may mislead others.

FWIW, I got an AR (not influenced by the OP, BTW} and got no added value from the piece. Still have it but don't use it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of hyperbole on here for new equipment also. I also am surprised that someone would sell it. Nothing wrong with moving on from it, but I personally would recommend keeping a mouthpiece if you were in love with it at any time, at least for a couple years. You might end up back with it and, it will hold it's value during that time. There's nothing wrong with collecting mouthpieces: they are small, require zero maintenance, and their value will not decrease with time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: