• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Indirection by Charles Schlueter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimi Michiel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Indirection by Charles Schlueter Reply with quote

Dear friends and colleagues,

I’m happy to share the exciting news that Charles Schlueter, the retired Principal Trumpet of the Boston Symphony and faculty for many years at the New England Conservatory, has published a book! Indirection: On Becoming a Better Musician and Trumpet Player as a Conceptual Process, is a memoir, a look into Charlie’s unique approach to music-making, and an instructional guide that will benefit everyone from beginners to seasoned professionals. It includes insight into the instrument but focuses much more on a conceptual approach to music-making that will benefit all musicians, not just trumpeters.

This book has been in process for almost 40 years and I was honored to serve as editor, working closely with Charlie over the last few years to shape it into something that I think folks will really enjoy. Carl Vigeland (author of In Concert), Eric Berlin (faculty at UMass), and Andy Stetson (faculty at Texas Tech) were also instrumental in putting this book together. It also includes essays from friends and colleagues about how Charlie’s approach to music has shaped their own work and lives, including contributions from Dave Monette, Matt Sonneborn, Norm Bolter, and many others.

We hope this book is something that can be both interesting and useful for all who read it. Please let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to answer them in the comments (or pass them along to Charlie).

Best wishes,
Jimi Michiel
Boston, MA

Click here to buy Indirection on Amazon

gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Charlie.
I'm glad this worked out. Did the transposition chapter make the cut?
Be well.
DeadJahnn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a copy of this and have been reading it. Yes, there is a section on transposition by clef!

Having learned to transpose originally by interval, I remember reading the "In Concert" book in the 90s and seeing the offhand reference in there to Schlueter's clef transposition technique. Always been intrigued.

I am not sure how much utility this solfege approach will have for me personally but I plan on experimenting with it.

Overall the book is a wonderful addition to Charlie's legacy and anyone who's appreciated his playing over the years should pick it up.
Jimi Michiel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadJahnn Thank you for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed the book! If you're already fluent in transposition and solfeggio, this content might be more supplemental than anything else, but definitely worth thinking through!

gringoloco Yes! Charlie gave out copies of this chapter as a handout to students. In helping him put together the book, one of the only times I voiced a strong opinion was ensuring that we kept the original dot-matrix-style graphic at the beginning of that chapter (Charlie "drew" it himself on one of his first computers in the 80s).
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad this got bumped. I missed it back in April.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are right handed tap with you left foot and if if you are left handed tap with your right foot.

DB
Patrick Hasselbank

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadJahnn wrote:
I ordered a copy of this and have been reading it. Yes, there is a section on transposition by clef!

Having learned to transpose originally by interval, I remember reading the "In Concert" book in the 90s and seeing the offhand reference in there to Schlueter's clef transposition technique. Always been intrigued.

I am not sure how much utility this solfege approach will have for me personally but I plan on experimenting with it.

Overall the book is a wonderful addition to Charlie's legacy and anyone who's appreciated his playing over the years should pick it up.

Hi sorry for bothering you! Can I ask how much this copy costs?

https://musescore.com/community
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Patrick Hasselbank"]
DeadJahnn wrote:

Hi sorry for bothering you! Can I ask how much this copy costs?

https://musescore.com/community

If you do a quick Google search of “Indirection”/Schlueter, you should see a number of sites selling the book. Currently $23.99 at Thompson Music: https://thompsonmusic.com/product/indirectiononbecomingabettermusicianandtrumpetplayerasaconceptualprocesspaperbackapril102021/

But as it’s a recently-published book, you’ll find a narrower price range unless you happen to find a used copy floating around. I’m keeping mine!

Happy practicing,
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Picc;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: