• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calcification on mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrisF20

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Calcification on mutes Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here I was wondering if anyone had any tips, if they exist, on taking calcification off trumpet mutes. I have tried alcohol and even polishing but nothing takes it out. Another question is if anyone has any tips on how to prevent calcification, meaning my trumpets have sort of rust but not rust.

Thank you!
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an attempt to be helpful - what makes you believe that its is "calcification"?
What is/ are the mute(s) made of? Aluminium/ copper/ plastic/ fibre?
Where is the calcium coming from?
How quickly does the phenomenon arise?
Kettles and pipes can suffer from "scaling" where calcium carbonate becomes deposited from the salts in water. Calcium salts can build up in the human body from ingested minerals.
Aluminium oxidises in air, copper also reacts with air.

Calcium carbonate can be relatively easily removed by the use of a mild acid such as vinegar.
CrisF20

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly just got it from a friend that mentioned it could that. I fell as if it is from the sweat of my hands in which there are like spots on the mute that are making it look like that. I have never heard of vinegar but will try it. Answering your question of what material it is, the bottom of the mute is brass but the top of it is aluminum as some of my others are as well.
Hope that helps!
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the stain/irregularity is on the brass or aluminium then its probably just the action of air/ moisture or scrapes causing or allowing tarnishing/ corrosion. A metal polish would be the best course of action to get a consistent finish - but bare aluminium will form a protective oxide layer over time after bare metal is exposed. Brass can be polished to a bright finish, but again will oxidise over time. Finger prints and residual moisture will cause variations in patination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: