• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke Symphony Mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Schilke Symphony Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet World!

During the pandemic, I've decided to go on a bit of a mouthpiece safari to see if I could learn a little bit more about what's out there. At first, I was looking for something a little more efficient because I currently have 2 toddlers at home, and practice time is limited. I spent years playing 1C size stuff, and ended up settling on the Bach 2C for awhile. I like it quite a bit.

As I continued being bored without gigs to play during the pandemic, I tried several other things. I recently tried the Schilke Symphony mouthpieces, and I'm liking them a lot. They have a wonderful sound, and the rim is very comfortable. To me it feels like a "symphonic style" rim like the Parke or Laskey, but with a little less bite and better flexibility. I know that Karl Hammond was instrumental in the creation of this line, and I think he did some excellent work.

I have played Hammond's own mouthpieces off and on over the years, but always ended up moving on because I never found anything in his line that I liked on Bb trumpet. The ML, MLX, and L were great on C for me, but seemed too open for Bb. I never cared for the sound of his MB mouthpiece for regular use.

I think one of the reasons the Schilke symphony works so well for me is because they have the "MC" offering in each size that come standard with a 27 throat and Schilke "C" backbore, a very nice combination on Bb in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm digging them for now. I'd love to hear some thoughts from anyone with experience using this line. I have the M2 mouthpeice, but might be interested in the M3 as well. Does the M3 feel similar in diameter to a bach 3C or 1.5C? I know the Schilke literature says it's similar to a 3C, but many of the comparison charts available online have them lining up more closely to a 1.5C.

Send me your thoughts!

Thanks!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can chime in. I used to have an M2* and switched it out for an M150* for it's slightly wider cup.

Unfortunately, the issue with comparison charts is there is no industry standard on where to measure mouthpieces and often the charts are compiled using the various manufacturers' own measurements.

This can result in two mouthpieces that "measure the same" but each is measured in a different location. For example, Parke sizes are designated by a measurement .1" down from the rim plane, while Marcinkiewicz are measured closer to the bite. If you take a Parke 640 and then compare it to a Marc that is said to be similar in diameter, they will actually be wildly different simply because the Parke is being measured further down the slope into the cup. Factor in different alpha angles and it becomes a real mess.

I personally don't believe any chart that says a Schilke M3 is similar to a 1.5C. I have five Bach 1.5Cs in my collection (of various vintages) and, while they are all a bit different, all of them more closely approximate an M150 in diameter with a couple slightly narrower examples approaching an M2.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I'd be interested to see how the m3 plays for me, even if it's in the "3c" range rim diameter. Bach 3c mouthpieces always sound bright and small to me, but I suspect it's mainly due the the shallowness of the cup. If the schilke m3 has an "orchestral " cup, perhaps it would work.

There's always something to try.....

- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify, Bach 3c mouthpieces always sound small and bright to me when I'm playing them. I know several people that get a huge, and beautiful sound on that size! I don't want anyone to think I'm knocking a certain size or anything.

Happy Mothers Day, everyone!

- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on a custom 1C 1CH rim 24 throat Schilke through college. It was basically the predecessor to all the Symphony lines. From there I started downsizing to the M150, M2, and down to the M3. They are great pieces but when I tried Pickett at TMEA, I immediately felt my tone was too dull with the Symphony pieces (big but tubby sound). I am now on a 4C Pickett with a 10-2/24 backbore. Just has more color and roundness to the sound versus the Schilke wideness in timbre. But everyone is different and will get different results and have different preferences. So if you like it, keep using it.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with others that the M3 is closer to a Bach 3C than 1.5C. I've tried the Symphony series a couple times over the years. They are great mouthpieces. I don't play much classical music on trumpet these days and like my Warburton 4S and 4M tops for what I do now.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the M3 feels like a small diameter 3C. Schilke lists it as being similar in diameter to a 15/14. Not on my face. A 14 is noticeably larger and a 15 is more like a 1-1/2C to me.

I really liked the M3 on C trumpet but I ended up selling it as it was too small for me. It actually felt similar in diameter to my Bach 5C or a GR 65 (to me). Also felt slightly smaller (diameter) than my Kanstul NY3C and Warburton 4MC.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: