• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clarification on "Las Vegas" model trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Clarification on "Las Vegas" model trumpets Reply with quote

Lately I have been answering many questions on the name "Las Vegas" model being applied to my Scodwell USA Standard model trumpets.

Several years ago I was asked by Karl Schagerl to come to Mank, Austria to help with the design of piston trumpets specifically for the American market. The existing Schagerl piston trumpets were fine instruments but perhaps a bit "Teutonic" in sound quality and Karl wanted something more in line with what the American market was used to. The two models I came up with were similar in components to my existing Standard model Scodwell USA Bb's but even though my leadpipe was copied and the bell I liked was used, the new Schagerl trumpets were meant to be produced in quantity and selective brace placement along with the annealing of the bell that I do meant differences in the finished product. I felt the "Las Vegas" name was a perfect choice for the more vibrant model and I liked the name "Boston" for the horn more in line with what I felt a symphonic player may be drawn to. Schagerl went ahead with production of the "Las Vegas" model applying my name on the leadpipe. He decided not to produce the "Boston" model which I decided to do on my own here in my Las Vegas shop. The "Las Vegas" Schagerl was well accepted worldwide and remains in production. When James Morrison started working with Schagerl on his designs I kept making my Standard model and "Boston" amongst others and many players started calling my Standard model the "Las Vegas" model when in fact I did not refer to them with that name. Perhaps because I am associated with Las Vegas and have played here many years along with my shop being located here as well, there has been a bit of "name confusion" with the two horns.

I hope this all makes sense and certainly my respect for Karl Schagerl remains.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, Tony. I bought two used Scodwell tpts from different sellers, and both independently told me that they were "Las Vegas" models. The serial numbers are 0190 & 0216. Both are basically identical in terms of playability, so I sold the former in Dec., and that player loves it. The 0216 remains as one of my top two Bb tpts! The slotting, response, brilliance with lots of depth of tone, and overall intonation are fantastic, and the upper register (especially notes above high C) are incredible. Also, the power in projection in all registers is second to none. When I play at a healthy forte dynamic level, the sound is almost instantly across the room.

Anyway, are you saying that these are not officially "Las Vegas" models? Are they just the Scodwell USA "Standard" model, instead?

For those who have not playtested a Scodwell, you ought to check them out sometime. The omission of the typical brace from 2nd valve casing to bell allows for lots of resonance in sound and vibrance in the hands...you can feel it. I realize that some say this could be a structural issue as well as drawback in sound power exiting the bell, but I have not found such issues at all with these horns.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Scodwell USA "Las Vegas" model Reply with quote

I guess I will have to retract some of what I said about the "Las Vegas" model name. My sole distributor is Washington Music Center and with the recent changes in their web site, my Standard model Bb is now listed as the "Las Vegas" model which I was told most people inquiring about referred to it by that name and indeed it was officially changed. I apologize for any confusion.

I do appreciate your many fine comments about my trumpets.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: