• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First valve clicking?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: First valve clicking? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have an Etude ETR-100 and have had it for about 3 and a half years, and the valves have been fine. A couple of days ago, I took off my valves, cleaned them, and oiled them with valve oil. I have done this in the past many times, but this time when I put my first valve in, there is a clicking sound. I checked if all of the valves are in the right slots, made sure the valve caps are on tight, and made sure the valve itself if it was in the correct position. There are no problems with that. My trumpet plays perfectly fine, but every time i push the first valve, there is the clicking sound. It is not a loud click like when you loosen the valve caps and push the valve down, but just a slight click. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Thank you.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring could not be seated in the valve guide correctly, or could be slightly bent.
This can cause a quiet click or rubbing noise.

Put some slide grease (just a little dab) on your top cap threads. Sometimes they get worn and will slightly shift when the valve comes up, causing a click.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identify at what position does the valve generate the click sound, or whether it happens between a range of positions.

Have you taken the valve itself apart? The problem can be with the valve guide inserted upside down/at an angle, spring axially mismatched with the valve guide, or valve stem incompletely screwed into the valve cage. The latter problem can happen even without complete disassembly of the valve.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a felt or rubber washer on the top of the valve (labeled "pad" on the picture) that keeps the top of the valve from striking the valve cap when it comes back up. Is this missing?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you by any chance take off the finger buttons and the top valve caps?

The #1 valve button might fit just fine on the #1 top valve cap but not on the #2 etc. You could try switching valve buttons.

It's possible that the top cap felt or washer has become too compressed and needs to be replaced. Exchanging it with one of the other top caps might catch this problem.

Not very likely but one other possibility - remove the bottom 1st valve cap and see if the click is still there.

(Yes - switching finger buttons and top caps will probably affect valve alignment to a small degree.)
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: First valve clicking? Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have an Etude ETR-100 and have had it for about 3 and a half years, and the valves have been fine. A couple of days ago, I took off my valves, cleaned them, and oiled them with valve oil. I have done this in the past many times, but this time when I put my first valve in, there is a clicking sound. I checked if all of the valves are in the right slots, made sure the valve caps are on tight, and made sure the valve itself if it was in the correct position. There are no problems with that. My trumpet plays perfectly fine, but every time i push the first valve, there is the clicking sound. It is not a loud click like when you loosen the valve caps and push the valve down, but just a slight click. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Thank you.

The valve stem is another one to check. If it isn't seated snugly in its spring barrel, it may be making the click sound.

Also, is it possible that you have cross threaded the top cap?

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it, but does the valve move when seated correctly and in the right playing position? By move, I mean is there a slight bit of wiggle if you twist the top valve cap? If so, and there are metal valve guides, it could be that they have worn from use, and need replacing. If they are nylon, they would not likely be the issue.

The other is a worn thread on the top valve cap. This rarely happens, but can....
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: