• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 3C same size as Bach 3C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intrepidpooch wrote:
Also, I highly recommend the ACB 3C. It's probably the best early Elkhart Bach 3C type mouthpiece I've ever played. If you're looking for a larger Mt. Vernon Bach 3C size, the Curry 3C. is definitely an incredible piece. It is a bit on the big size--the best Mt. Vernon 3C "copy" that doesn't feel too big is the Warburton Arturo.

The Curry 3C. is based on a smaller Mt Vernon 3C and the scan I have of it compared to Arturo's Mt Vernon 3C shows it to be a little bit smaller in diameter and a little shallower in depth compared to Arturo's Mt Vernon 3C (which itself is a smaller Mt Vernon 3C compared to the average sized one. Curry's original 3C design (the Curry 3C with no dot after the C) is based on a typical sized Mt Vernon 3C and is as such, is larger than the Curry 3C. or a typical Elkhart 3C.

I'm not arguing with your perception of the Curry 3C. but in terms of objective measurements it is not a "larger Mt. Vernon Bach 3C size". Perhaps the Warburton version of Arturo's mouthpiece is actually smaller than Arturo's mouthpiece.

https://i.postimg.cc/YSqLygxW/Sandoval-Curry-3-C-DOT.gif

Curry 3C. (blue) versus Sandoval Mt Vernon 3C (red)

(Click on the image above to open it full-sized in a separate window.)

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
ladsar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of excellent information about Curry mouthpieces here

I've been playing on Curry std. 3C. and 5C for a few weeks now. I prefer the 3C., but 5C is also a good mouthpiece. It's a bit smaller than 3C. and has a bit more bite to it. The Curry 3C. feels bigger than my Vincent Bach Corp. 3C that I have, but that's not a problem for me. I'm feeling more confident with Curry 3C., It produces a darker and richer tone that I'm very happy with.

Though, I might need another mouthpiece from Curry 3 series for big band. The 3C. works fine, but I feel I should have a bit more brighter sound in some parts. So I will go for another Curry 3 mouthpiece for sure. So now I'm asking for opinions about Curry mouthpieces for playing in big band. I've tried a few mouthpieces that doesn't work for me. Shew Lead was too shallow for me. Bach commercial 5MV was also a bit too shallow. So maybe I should try a medium-shallow mouthpiece? I was thinking about 3M. or 3 STAR. Any thoughts about that?
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3Z if you want to peel paint from the walls.
Curry 3DE if you want medium brilliance but still a "fat" tone
Curry 3STAR if you want a bright sound with explosive attacks

None of them is "too shallow" i like them all but in the #5 rim I don't like his M cup
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Curry 3Z. and while the playability was good, the tone was just too bright and edgy for my taste. I ended up selling it.

I also have a Curry 3M. that I do like for big band music. The upper register is a bit less tiring on it and the tone is still full, but a little brighter than his 3C.

Of course, this is all just my personal impression - your mileage may vary.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I had a Curry 3Z. and while the playability was good, the tone was just too bright and edgy for my taste. I ended up selling it.

I used to have the same feeling about the Z until i've tried a Z cup in BlackJack blank cut for sleeves and a number #7 sleeve. Greater playability, strong and powerful sound still bright but less edgy. Is not my first choice piece but i use it from time to time in very loud or lead situations.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
ladsar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3* ordered and on it's way
I would really like to try the mouthpiece audition that Mouthpieceexpress.com offer, but I'm concerned about not being able to return mouthpieces in time.
I'm also concerned 3Z will be too shallow for me, so I think 3* may be the best option.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladsar wrote:
3* ordered and on it's way
I would really like to try the mouthpiece audition that Mouthpieceexpress.com offer, but I'm concerned about not being able to return mouthpieces in time.
I'm also concerned 3Z will be too shallow for me, so I think 3* may be the best option.

3Z and 3STAR are approximately the same cup depth but the cup shape is very different and the Z has a different backbore and a thighter #28 throat with great compression. The STAR blows more freely but even if the cup is maybe a tad deeper the cup shape makes me feel like is shallower than the Z ... oh well, you have to try yourself anyone's different. Bottom line: the Curry are great pieces.
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CURRYS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Curry 3C to be more playable than the Bach. The Bach sounds a little better, but the Curry seems to hold up better in the high range and extended playing. Curry's 60C is something of a sleeper and I like it better than the Curry 3C. It has a lower alpha angle (bite) but doesn't feel bigger. Range goes up but articulation goes down-- always a trade off when it comes to mouthpieces. The 60M is also very good but fairly bright. MouthpieceExpress has a good return policy, a good way to find out what works for you.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Curry 1 1/2C and 3C mouthpieces for a time and they were very responsive and comfortable to play. Real quality!

But... like Mark above, I found the Bach originals to sound a little better. It is a personal thing, but after playing just about every mouthpiece out there over the years, I still think Bach mouthpieces sound (or have the potential to sound) the best.

I have thirteen Bach 3C mouthpieces and fifteen 1 1/2 Cs. Yes, they all sound and feel a tiny bit different, but I think this is a good thing. It allows me to "hone in" on the best playing and sounding examples for me. Same goes for Bach trumpets to some extent.

My sole mouthpiece during the last 15-20 years is a Mt. Vernon Bach 1 1/2C that was new old-stock when I purchased it. To me it is incomparable, and was well worth the effort to find it all those years back.

But, if it fits you you can't really go wrong with a Curry.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: