• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Jazz Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: New Jazz Book Reply with quote

Just started working out of this book. This is very well done, and is presented in a very logical way. He’s a fantastic player as well.

If you’re skeptical about an amateur such as myself endorsing it, I noticed Brian Lynch gives it a glowing review. Can’t beat that!

https://ericjacobsontrumpet.com/new-book-jazz-patterns-a-systematic-approach-to-true-internalization?fbclid=IwAR1L9N72ZBwhxG6JSyvmbKl2jluDtuYoroubpZ7pTeeqeoIGH1zYVjku0a4
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences or similarities between this book and the other jazz pattern book on the market ?

Thank you
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This book has a unique approach to practicing patterns. Rather than list out the patterns chromatically ascending or descending, you are encouraged to practice them through various cycles of chords. It really helps internalize the material and get it under your fingers in a way that is both technically challenging and mentally stimulating. I ordered a copy of this book not too long ago and have found it to be a great resource. You can even change a few notes in each pattern (especially the pentatonic ones) to find some new sounds and work on hearing shapes through all 12 keys.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

The other aspect I like about this book is the ideas are trumpet friendly. Some of the other jazz patterns books seem to be geared more towards sax players.
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Brent. I just bought the book and it looks like it will be fun to work through.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: