• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Reinhardt Study Zone - PDFs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: The Reinhardt Study Zone - PDFs Reply with quote

Just a heads up that the Pivot Publishing books in the Reinhardt Study Zone are now all available as PDFs through the Boptism Music Store.

Just go to The Reinhardt Study Zone and you'll see that they're all there and on sale for a limited time only.

Of course, the hard-copy books are all still there, too (click here).

Thanks, everybody!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rich,
Glad to see you posting here about this...I'd like to ask where someone should start with these...which book would you get first and would you work thru one and then go on to another or work them all at the same time, etc.?
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Hello Rich,
Glad to see you posting here about this...I'd like to ask where someone should start with these...which book would you get first and would you work thru one and then go on to another or work them all at the same time, etc.?

Not knowing your level of ability or your level of development, it's hard to know exactly what to suggest.

However, I don't think you can go wrong with The Reinhardt Routines. Dave Sheetz and I put a lot of thought and effort into making it something that somebody who never had the opportunity to study with Doc would be able to successfully work on and get dramatically better. It's an organized 9-day rotating plan that works you out like pretty much nothing else out there.

A lot of people have had a lot of success with it, if that helps.

Maybe some others will chime in here. Thanks for asking, it's an excellent question!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,
Thanks for the advice. As to my level, I started back on trumpet about 18 years ago and about ten years ago I had several lessons with Dave Wilken and got him to give me an idea of my type and embouchure track. I've been laid off of trumpet due to medical concerns for a while now, but am going to start back. When I was playing regularly I was working on the Neruda Concerto on my Eb and could at least play thru the notes OK.

So if you have any other ideas other then the Routines, let me know.

You might want to consider adding comments as to what the absolute beginner should start with, etc. That would be helpful to those who don't now Reinhardt.

Keep up the good work! I hope to get over the gorge (from Knoxville) to hear you sometime.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
So if you have any other ideas other then the Routines, let me know.

You might want to consider adding comments as to what the absolute beginner should start with, etc. That would be helpful to those who don't now Reinhardt.

Well, then, Dave Sheetz told me he wished he had come up with the idea for Focal Point, he likes it a lot. It's a plan to help you raise the "hub" of your range (the center-point of your usable range, that is) by changing the way you start every playing session.

And then Warm-Up Magic is based on a similar idea but is a beginning-of-the-day way to get your chops geared for more demanding playing than a beginner might need.

As far as beginners, Reinhardt For Beginners is outstanding. The first student I started out of that book had an amazing sound and even some decent range within the first few weeks of him picking up trumpet. That is no exaggeration, either. He is the son of one of Asheville's best saxophone players and unfortunately decided to go in another direction. I guess trumpet was too easy for him?

Thanks again!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,
Thanks for these further explanations and suggestions. I'll probably start with the Routines and then add some of the other books later. I'm having a little trouble using an authentic flat rimmed mouthpiece on natural trumpet and I think my set point is too low, so the Focal Point book might help that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: