• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cant blow air thru the horn?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Cant blow air thru the horn?! Reply with quote

Hi all, my Bach 197 was playing great and then I oiled the valves today and it wouldn't blow. I think it's the 3rd valve. Is it possible the guide got reversed. 3rd valve on Bach how do you know which way to out the little end of the guide? I believe this horn came with plastic guides originally but has metal in there. I like them but I'm screwed up. Help?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible / probable that one or more of the valves is rotated 180 degrees or in the wrong location

On the valve spring housing is a number (for valves - 1, 2, 3,) which when inserted is toward the mouthpiece end of the trumpet. The valve guides have a top and bottom, plus a small and large end. The top has a seat for the springs and the small end on the leadpipe side of the Bach trumpet.. If you look down the empty valve casing you will see the two receiving cut outs for the guide - larger one on the bell side, smaller on the leadpipe side.

It's easy to fix, and easy to mess up.. be careful when playing with these pieces and pay attention to how they are properly assembled.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Man that was clear! I looked at my other Bach and figured out the 2 holes in the 3rd valve face you and the little end valve guide does too. I just bought this horn and the guide was in backwards. Thx
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a shock when a horn doesn't behave properly.
I was on a trip last week, pulled my trumpet out to practice in my Hotel room (with practice mute of course), and the horn was awful. I tried everything...
And then realized I'd lost a cork from my main spitvalve and, wow, everything was off.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Always a shock when a horn doesn't behave properly.
I was on a trip last week, pulled my trumpet out to practice in my Hotel room (with practice mute of course), and the horn was awful. I tried everything...
And then realized I'd lost a cork from my main spitvalve and, wow, everything was off.

That recently happened to one of my beginner students. If you want an interesting exercise in frustration, try getting a beginner to inspect a spit valve cork.....during a VIRTUAL lesson. “Ok, hold the horn in your right hand....no, not that right hand, your other right hand....”😉 Finally had to get Dad in the kid’s room to help out!

Brad
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Trumpet screw up with Harry James Reply with quote

After I left the Harry James Orchestra, he had a guy playing lead trumpet and Harry gave him the responsibility of maintaining his trumpet. Harry wasn't too fond of this guy anyway and one night the guy handed Harry his trumpet right before the downbeat and as Harry never warmed up, he started the first tune and his valves were in backwards. The guy was in the trumpet section and Harry's trumpet was sailing past him hitting the wall behind the bandstand. Harry loved baseball and could throw a trumpet fast ball.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: can't blow air through the horn Reply with quote

TS, too bad you didn't have Bob Uecker there to proclaim, "Just a little bit inside."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: