• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone had any dealings with this person on horn trades?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Anyone had any dealings with this person on horn trades? Reply with quote

Jacek Muzyk He says he owns Gamon Brass in Poland Wants to trade me a stomvi masters trumpet.

Last edited by Insyderzska1 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I don't know about Gannon brass but if you meant Jacek from Gamon brass then he's a decent guy to deal with. Check his ebay, 100% feedback.
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I had type it that way but my computer must have changed it so I edited my post! Thank you I already had committed to his deal but you know how it feels with doing a deal with someone overseas ! He seemed legit I just figure I would ask the great people of this site!
brass crusader

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a good guy, can arrange shipping in the CONUS to avoid overseas shipping.
AndyLott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by AndyLott on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a heck of a deal I think once the repairs are done to the horn he is trading me. The Valve Cluster on the Stomvi Masters looks pretty rough possibly needing a brass patch but hopefully not. Does anyone know anyone that won't break the bank in repairing the horn? It is gold plated and since it's a masters most of the horn comes apart! I just need to get the valve cluster redone in gold. I talked to Charlie Melk and his prices were insane. Stomvi only wanted $450 to redo the cluster in Silver or possibly less. And he wanted $500 just for the Gold on the Valve Cluster not including repairs.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Rich Ita in Atlanta. Gold is expensive these days.

http://brassinstrumentworkshop.com/
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insyderzska1 wrote:
I got a heck of a deal I think once the repairs are done to the horn he is trading me. The Valve Cluster on the Stomvi Masters looks pretty rough possibly needing a brass patch but hopefully not. Does anyone know anyone that won't break the bank in repairing the horn? It is gold plated and since it's a masters most of the horn comes apart! I just need to get the valve cluster redone in gold. I talked to Charlie Melk and his prices were insane. Stomvi only wanted $450 to redo the cluster in Silver or possibly less. And he wanted $500 just for the Gold on the Valve Cluster not including repairs.

Charlie's price isn't insane, the price of gold is insane. Rule of thimb is that it will cost you approximately the value of an ounce of gold to plate your horn. Gold is currently trading at approximately $1,200 an ounce.

Silver will always be much cheaper.
1948 Holton Model 48
GSDenshaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie is the best ! His quality of work is awesome. And, he is a very genuine, honest person as well !

I would rather have regrets about the price I paid than the quality of the resulting work. If you trust your horn to Charlie, you will not be disappointed. Besides that, the price quoted sounds very fair.
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't exactly say it's a fair price when Stomvi as expensive as they are quoted me much cheaper to repair the horn.
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides I am not trying to get the whole horn plated since it's a stomvi masters I only needed the valve cluster replated and not the whole horn. People are quoting a much better price to do the whole thing than what he is asking just for the Valve cluster.
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since gold is fragile and it is on the valve block that it will wear, and as gold is so expensive, why not just silver plate the block ?

When you play, your hand hide most of the valve block, just do not stop playing

I had a project to buy a horn from Gamon in the past, we do not do it for several reasons but he seemed to be clean and honest.
Insyderzska1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was probably going to end going that route I use a valve guard for the most part anyways! I was just trying to make it like it was when it was new. The main part is that I have to do something since there is pitting! I don't want the brass to get ate away anymore that what is already going on. I think Gold and Silver will look different but actually look pretty good.
Tarh331_Dad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just be a redneck and cover the blemished parts in leather:

http://www.lscoguard.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=stomvi

Although the full duck dynasty experience might require that you spray paint the leather in a camouflage pattern.

alaskanaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are decent people. I ordered a horn from them, and they worked with me to make sure things were right.

Last edited by alaskanaut on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience was mixed. I traded a three year old Bach Strad 43* with an M/K leadpipe
and slides for a 1995 Callichio. I sent it for replating and got a call back that it was one of the filthiest horns internally that he had ever received and that the rotten leadpipe needed replacement.
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sounding good for Gamon Brass!
Thank you for sharing your experiences, they seem to have great horns, and take clear photos and I always considered buying from them but the slightly high pricing and distance bothered me enough to hold off.
gamon727

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
My experience was mixed. I traded a three year old Bach Strad 43* with an M/K leadpipe
and slides for a 1995 Callichio. I sent it for replating and got a call back that it was one of the filthiest horns internally that he had ever received and that the rotten leadpipe needed replacement.

Your 43 : our understanding about `MINT` word seems to be a different,a lot

Anyway,it doesn`t explain that we may had overlooked some red rot in the pipe.which we have never a possibility to double check or confirm...we learn each day...

best regards.Jacek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: