• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any news on the new larger bore Callet?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: re: NY Soloist Reply with quote

Hmmmm...non-conical shaped bore....I am pretty used to the conical bore on my Callet Symphonique, and really love it, and have also found the original Sima to be kind of "tight" for my liking.....very intrigued by this horn, and also that it comes in the gold laquer (not feeling the silver plating only).......really looking fwd to trying this horn !!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days ago, I received my final version of the NY Soloist. Please note - I cannot present myself as an unbiased tester. I've been such a big fan of Jerry's trumpet and mouthpiece designs as well as his embouchure philosophy that I actually invested in Callet Trumpets a few years ago. And I've been playing his trumpets and mouthpieces exclusively for more than 10 years.

Nonetheless, I can't begin to tell you how pleased, stunned I am with Jerry's newest horn. I've owned excellent versions of the most respected classic horns including pre-war French Besson, King Liberties, Conn 22Bs, Mt Vernon Bachs, 1940's Martin Committee, Burbank Benges, etc as well as all nearly every newer horn and all prior Callet models. I sincerely believe my New York Soloist is in an entirely new league. I was completely unprepared for the huge leap forward Jerry has made with this model. 50 years pushing the boundaries of what a trumpet can do and now this! For me, the NY Soloist retains all the richness of sound and unrivaled intonation of the SIMA. But, the nearly instantaneous response, power, projection, and ease of play have shocked me. I feel like I just doubled my confidence in front of a live audience.

Easy for me to say, but I honestly believe this horn will make every trumpeter reassess what they are capable of behind the horn. And I'm pleased to report that the majority of other initial testers are reporting the same. I loved my Callet SIMA. But I had no idea how much more Jerry was capable of. Wow! I'm greatly looking forward to everyone's feedback as you all get a chance to test this new trumpet.

Best to all, Kyle
tptguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry called to let me know he has several very fine pro players preparing tapes of the NY Soloist in action. He expects the clips to be available by mid-January. I'll post links as soon as possible.

Best to all, Kyle

PS - I do have a couple of very short clips from recent performances. Please email me if you'd like to hear and I'll forward the files. - kes

info@CalletTrumpets.com
AK-tpt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle,
Will the new model also come in C and Eb/D or shall I hang on to what I've got now?
Thanks.
nini
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kyle,

since your are close to the source: are there any plans/discussions for a new SLB. Still play and love aboe everything my old Callet New York SLB

Nini
tptguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good and gooder news (hopefully). During the ‘80s, Jerry was the biggest proponent of large and extra large bore trumpets. As attendees at trumpet festivals around the country can attest, Jerry had both the chops and lungpower to really make them roar - in every register. However, he also recognized that his lungpower would naturally decrease as he got older. And, he recognized that the really great trumpet players were not playing with exceptional air power. So in the early ‘90’s he designed a conical bore trumpet (the Jazz) that opened at just .353 yet still surpassed the power of existing designs. The knowledge gained from the Jazz resulted in an exceptionally powerful straight .453 bore, the Sima. And feedback from the Sima resulted in the newest model, the .460 bore New York Soloist. We’ve spent the past 2 months testing the NY Soloist in live venues with about a dozen of the world’s finest players and we’re finding this model achieves more power and projection than any other trumpet ever. And, with more ease. The good news – the NY Soloist is very likely the last trumpet Jerry will ever design. Our feedback indicates that he has truly hit all his goals . We are honored that you love his XL bore trumpet. However, that design is now apx 40 years old. The ‘gooder’ news, we hope you’ll give a try to a NY Soloist. And we hope you’ll agree, it delivers all the great sound and power of the older models but with decidedly more richness in the overtones, even better intonation, and decidedly the most power of any trumpet ever made, regardless of bore. Everything you play, regardless of style, is easier - with greatly increased endurance and decidedly more fun!
deejaymushone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: brass used on Callet NY Soloist ? Reply with quote

Hey Kyle,

Up above, you had said “he actually designed a special brass” - do you think this is really true? Did Zig use a different brass alloy on the NY Solost and / or Sima than on the different trumpets he built ? That Jerome “designed”?!

My 2.5 year vintage horn safari has finally come to an end - I really wish Jerome were still here so I could bring them to his studio & play them all for him & discuss - he was really fascinated by the subject of the design & make up of the great horns & what made them special. I only got to bring a few to him to play test, & I would go back & forth b/t them & the NY Soloist & we would discuss.

Also - someone above thought his horns were too “dark” sounding, & not as bright as Shilke or Benge? I don’t think any horn sounds “dark” with his 1ss, sc, or 1sb MP (!).

All the best,

Jeremy Mush1
Conn 1929 2B / 1924 22B / 1934 8B / 1956 10B / 1967 20A / 1958 38B / 1952 48B
1965 Olds Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1993QIK7E
tptguy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn’t be correct to say that Jerry designed the alloy in the new bells, he didn’t have expertise in that. Rather, he discussed with Zig what characteristics he wanted and Zig knew where to get the samples. Once the winner was chosen then we had to pay for the full roll, and in advance because it wasn’t something Zig used anywhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: