• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves.. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have an Etude ETR-100 that I use almost everyday. I am about to deep clean it, and I have taken all of the other slides apart aside from the third valve slide. I tried pulling it out while pushing down the third valve, but I have had no luck getting it out. I have WD-40 on hand, but I am not sure if I should use it or not. Also, my second valve slide has a dent in it. I do not believe it affects the playing, but I would like to get rid of that if possible as well. Finally, I have scratches on the front of my bell that I would also like to get rid of as well. I believe only the lacquer is scratched, so I think it could be buffed to be fixed, but I am not sure. On my mouthpiece, I have a line (I assume dirt? I am not sure, it might just be from where I put the mouthpiece in too tight) that I am not sure is supposed to be there. I will link pictures to this post as well (I am not sure how to upload the pictures using the [img] command, if someone could also explain to use that command, that would be helpful). In the pictures, I have my valves still in, but I will take them out as soon as I successfully remove the third valve slide. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by TheAidanAU on Sun May 16, 2021 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves.. Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have an Etude ETR-100 that I use almost everyday. I am about to deep clean it, and I have taken all of the other slides apart aside from the third valve slide. I tried pulling it out while pushing down the third valve, but I have had no luck getting it out. I have WD-40 on hand, but I am not sure if I should use it or not. Also, my second valve slide has a dent in it. I do not believe it affects the playing, but I would like to get rid of that if possible as well. Finally, I have scratches on the front of my bell that I would also like to get rid of as well. I believe only the lacquer is scratched, so I think it could be buffed to be fixed, but I am not sure. On my mouthpiece, I have a line (I assume dirt? I am not sure, it might just be from where I put the mouthpiece in too tight) that I am not sure is supposed to be there. I will link pictures to this post as well (I am not sure how to upload the pictures using the [img] command, if someone could also explain to use that command, that would be helpful). In the pictures, I have my valves still in, but I will take them out as soon as I successfully remove the third valve slide. Thank you in advance.[/img]

Update: Sorry about that, I just realized that I did not upload the image links. I just tried to upload them through a link, but for some reason is not working properly. If someone could explain how to upload my images from my computer to this, that would be great. Thank you.[/img]
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 3rd valve slide move at all?
If is cannot be moved, then I would try using an electric hair dryer blower on the slide - get both legs warm , but NOT too hot to touch. The purpose of the heat is to loosen (melt) any hard dried grease that might be binding the slide tubes. If heat doesn't work then take it to a competent repair tech - or just don't worry about it, because it likely is not all that dirty anyway.

I suggest NOT trying any DIY dent removal, and NOT using any abrasive on the lacquer scratches - it will look worse than minor scratches.

For the mouthpiece SHANK - use a dish washing 'green scrubber pad' - do not use 'steel wool' or a metal scrubbing pad.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TheAidanAU

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Does the 3rd valve slide move at all?
If is cannot be moved, then I would try using an electric hair dryer blower on the slide - get both legs warm , but NOT too hot to touch. The purpose of the heat is to loosen (melt) any hard dried grease that might be binding the slide tubes. If heat doesn't work then take it to a competent repair tech - or just don't worry about it, because it likely is not all that dirty anyway.

I suggest NOT trying any DIY dent removal, and NOT using any abrasive on the lacquer scratches - it will look worse than minor scratches.

For the mouthpiece SHANK - use a dish washing 'green scrubber pad' - do not use 'steel wool' or a metal scrubbing pad.

I tried the heat method, did not work. I cleaned off the mouthpiece though, which is good. Thank you for your feedback.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow this link to use for posting pictures. I saved it to review if I forget how when I haven’t posted pics in a while.
Ron

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow this link to use for posting pictures. I saved it to review if I forget how when I haven’t posted pics in a while.
Ron

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves.. Reply with quote

Ok.

- As far as removing the 3rd slide, JayKosta's suggestion was good. If it doesn't move, then it doesn't move. I used to wrap a shoelace a few times around suck slides and try to tug it loose. Might be worth a try. However, DO NOT try too hard. Brass is NOT a hard and strong metal like steel, so it will bend. Try pulling it straight out, but don't strain. If it doesn't move, then let it be. Take it in to a tech to remove. You'll likely do more damage if you put real effort in. Frankly, maybe you should just take it in.

I saw a LOT of repairs come in with people trying to fix stuff that they can't. They would have been fine if they had let it go and brought it in right away, a very minor job, but it turned into a major job after their attempts to fix it.

- You have dents in the second valve slide. That's not uncommon, but be more careful with your horn. The only reason they appear is mishandling.
You can't get them out, but a tech could. Leave it alone.

- Lacquer and scratches. Trumpets are made of brass. That brass is then polished and generally either a) silver plated or b) lacquered. Lacquer is basically a clear coat of paint (sort of) that covers and protects the brass from the elements and handling and also protects your skin from raw brass.
The scratches you speak of are likely scratching the lacquer. You can't get rid of them - really - without just getting a professional to strip and relacquer your horn. That would likely cost 2X-3X what you paid for it (roughly between $400-600). Don't buff it, it just removes more lacquer.

Be more careful handling your instrument. Live with the scratches you have.

- Just clean your mouthpiece. A non abrasive cloth or sponge and soap should do the trick. Be gentle.

- You have to upload pictures to a publicly accessible site and then link to them in your post. I think the link posted above likely does a decent job of explaining.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rule of home instrument repair is to avoid turning an inexpensive repair into a more costly repair. A stuck slide would costs very little to get fixed. The damage from an attempted home repair might cost quite a bit more.

That said, stuck slides can often be pulled with a little knowledge and a good bit of patience. My personal stuck slide toolkit is a hairdryer, some penetrating oil (PB Blaster), a small rubber hammer, and patience. A combination of oil, heat, light tapping, and time for the oil to work solves most stuck slide problems. If not, I take it to an actual repairman.

There are lots of tutorials available on YouTube from knowledgeable people showing a variety of ways to do basic work. Do a little bit of studying, use some common sense, and understand your limits and you probably won’t break too much. Of course, if you do it enough, you’ll eventually screw some things up. If it HAS to be done right, take it to someone you trust.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves Reply with quote

Find a really good super penetrant and get a bunch down the tubes and some around the edges of the stuck portion of the slide, then lay it on a few rags or towel and let it set. Hours. Only pick it up to shake it and stir around the penetrant some more. I have never seen this not work and that includes any machine repair I ever did. Good Luck.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves.. Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:
I have WD-40 on hand, but I am not sure if I should use it or not.

WD-40 original formula isn't a penetrant or a lubricant. Its original purpose was to displace water - WD stands for "Water displacement".

The best penetrating oils are PB Blaster and Kroil. Kroil has to be ordered online - I recommend the version with the pointed applicator tip.

With PB be careful about not inhaling it, it's really noxious stuff but it works. A thorough soaking in either should help along with heating and gentle/firm/careful application of pulling force.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And use a Q-tip after every playing session to clean and dry the inside of the the mouthpiece.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet scratches, dents, stuck valves.. Reply with quote

TheAidanAU wrote:

WD-40 original formula isn't a penetrant or a lubricant. Its original purpose was to displace water - WD stands for "Water displacement".

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, an awful lot of people have the mistaken idea that it is both a pentrant and a lubricant. Model-train forums and old-firearm-restoration forums are full of well-meaning but misguided hobbyists who sincerely believe that a squirt of "Good Ole Dubya-Dee Foty" will handle just about any mechanical problem.

Use it on a soft brass trumpet? Not me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: