• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spots on my 1.5 year old trumpet.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orban

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Spots on my 1.5 year old trumpet. Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

My Yamaha trumpet (Ytr-6335RC - made in Japan) is only 1.5 years old.
A few spots have appeared in the meantime.
- 1 spot on the tuning slide, close to the brace.
- 3 spots on the tube that goes into the 3rd valve, not far from the bend.

A small notch can be seen in the center of a few spots (with a 6 x magnifying glass)

They arose spontaneously, certainly not as a result of impacts.

Could this be what I fear .... red rot?
See pictures.
http://users.telenet.be/edho/P1120775.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/edho/P1120776.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/edho/P1120777.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/edho/P1120778.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/edho/P1120779.JPG

Thank You.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is definitely red rot. The tuning slide picture being one of the clearest examples ever posted here. The tell-tale indication is the black dot at the center which is the hole coming through.

The first is in the tuning slide, which being reversed, means the outer sleeve, and appears right at the point where the end of the leadpipe would be if the slide is pulled the normal 1/2 inch or so. The others are clustered just past the other end of the slide again on the lower outer sleeve. Have you pulled out the slide and checked both the end of the leadipe and the lower leg of the slide for further damage? (Because this suggests that you tuning slide has been taking a lot of acidic abuse).

You know the next question: how often to you clean this horn with soap, water & brush inside?

Which is followed by: how often do you play soon after eating?

It is a little surprising that the leadpipe is not showing rot closer to the receiver, but the tubing drawn that day to the diameter necessary for making the sleeve-sized components may have had issues with alloy quality. I there is no damage to any other tubing (leadpipe, lower slide leg, etc.), that is probably a contributing factor and those sections will need to be replaced (as it will just continue if its in the brass).

If, however, it is not isolated to that specific tubing stock, then you will need some lifestyle changes in how you handle the horn, and patches for what is already damaged.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Out, damned spot!" (Macbeth, Act V, Scene I)

Spillover from the recent "Trumpet Names" thread in the "Horns" forum. (Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be easy to thoroughly clean the inside of the tubing on the tuning slide. And also easy to shine a light. or a probe (perhaps a plastic straw) into the tubing to feel for roughness, etc.

My horns show similar blemishes, does ANYBODY have a horn that does not have spots that look like that?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks quite clearly like red rot.
Not usually common so quickly, but possible.
I’ve had issues with Yamaha finishes for quite while. Even on “artist model” horns they seem to have problems with plating (properly cleaning acid before plating). Personal anecdotal experience*
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
My horns show similar blemishes, does ANYBODY have a horn that does not have spots that look like that?

All of them? I have many horns, and only a few show actual red rot. I have far more with pink acid staining on the surface, but those pictures were clearly red rot holes coming through from the inside with surface staining from zinc loss surrounding the tiny pore the acid is leeching through after dezincifying its way from the inside out.

If this is a cleaning issue, its easy to patch a couple spots and take better care of the horn. But if its bad brass, then those segments will just get worse and worse and have to be replaced.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to head that. I also bought my 6335RC 1.5 years ago, in Belgium too but no red spot.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

I sure do, five of them, including one made in 1979.🤔

Brad
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I am a Yamaha fan I have to admit that some Yamaha horns have a bad name for red rot, especially concerning the leadpipe and the tuning slide: YTR 6310, some of the early Artists, the Miyashiro horn and more.
My 6345 has a goldbrass leadpipe like more Yamaha's and that's with a reason.

Last edited by delano on Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an instrument with red rot. And I'm terrible about cleaning. Many of mine are over 100 years old. The youngest is 10 years old.

Why?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I've never had an instrument with red rot. And I'm terrible about cleaning. Many of mine are over 100 years old. The youngest is 10 years old.

Why?

Here’s a guess:
It’s my understanding that red rot happens when trace amounts of hydrochloric acid in human saliva cause the zinc content to leech out of the brass. So it would seem to me, that different body chemistries would have differing effects on whether or not individual instruments develop red rot, ie, if you have little to no acid, less chance of red rot.

I suspect someone more knowledgeable might weigh in on this.

Brad
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Yes. Horns without red rot:

Conn 22B 1924
Getzen Eterna 900LB 1990
Getzen Eterna 900LB Severinsen 1976
Antoine Courtois mod. Delmotte C 1970

Sold: Buesscher True Tone Custom 1927, Conn 22B 1927, Conn 22B 1954, Conn 12B 1956, Selmer Radial LB mid '70, Selmer K-Mod. Selmer Light Weight '60, King Super 20 1949, Olds Super 1949 and 1965, Bach 37-180 1978 and 1980, Julius Keilwerth Toneking Deluxe early '60, Getzen Eterna 900 several years, Getzen Capri several years.

Horns with red rot: Yamaha 6310 Z, Martin Imperial mid '60
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Brad’s comment on saliva: I learnt from working with dentists a few years ago that different people have different saliva as far as the pH goes. While a lot of people are around 7.4, some are at about 6.6 or so. Don’t let you fool by the numbers, the pH scale is logarithmic and thus the change in one pH unit amounts to a factor 10 higher acid content. So yes, some may be related to saliva and maybe playing w/o brushing teeth.

To answer the other question: I have one horn with red rot - my 1980 Blessing Scholastic trumpet I got when I was 8 years old. Bought it from a woodwinds shop (nothing else around at the time) and they had no clue what it was when I went to talk to them after the horn had developed blisters all over the leadpipe. In spite of this it still plays fine.

My Bach 43 had also developed red rot in the leadpipe after ca. 30 years but that was fixed when I had it completely redone in 2015. No other cases of red rot have been spotted in the house
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be bad brass, body chemistry, lack of cleaning, or a combination of all three. Unfortunately, it happens and generally speaking, by the time you see it the damage is done.

Two body chemistry horror stories.

1) A local musician came in to try trumpets once. His sweat was so acidic, he had eaten about 2/3’s of the way through the outsides of his valve casings... on a ten year old trumpet. He had it re-silver plated every year to buy time.

2) A certain famous trumpeter we once worked with had such corrosive saliva that in the time it took to UPS prototype trumpets from Southrn California to Wisconsin every slide and piston would be seized in place. We’d open the box and put the horn right into a chem clean every time. Never seen anything like that.

I won’t even tell you some of the dirty horn stories. But we’ve seen some things. Horrible, horrible things.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original precipitating factors that caused the red rot are no longer present, will the red rot continue to progress anyway?

I ask because I once purchased a one year old trumpet that had some small spots of red rot. Even after owning and using it for over 15 years, it never got worse or changed in the slightest.
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I won’t even tell you some of the dirty horn stories. But we’ve seen some things. Horrible, horrible things.

aww...come on, Brent. Spill the beans. Or get a Netflix documentary made about it
Orban

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to the people who replied.

I take care of my instruments as it should be.

I still have a $ 200 trumpet of 6 years and another Yamaha ytr-5335g of 5 years old.
Both trumpets do not show any trace of Red Rot
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
Thank you to the people who replied.

I take care of my instruments as it should be.

I still have a $ 200 trumpet of 6 years and another Yamaha ytr-5335g of 5 years old.
Both trumpets do not show any trace of Red Rot

Well if the horn is being cleaned regularly, etc., and if there is no damage to any of the inner legs of the tuning slide assembly, then I would bet on needing to replace those outer sleeves. The spots are focused in the only places that the inner legs do not shield the outer sleeve, so logically that is where susceptible brass would fail first. The outer sleeves of the valve slides are also that diameter tubing, but typically the core of the horn is assembled separately from the leadpipe-tuning portion, so those are probably (hopefully) different stock.

If:
- The damage is limited to those two pieces of tubing (nothing anywhere else)
- The horn was purchased new
- Inspection with a bore scope will not show damage inside the leadpipe

Then the horn has a 5 year manufacturer warranty, and I would make a claim through the retailer.

But, that is only if all of those conditions are true. Anything else, and the warranty wont apply. The leadpipe will need to be undamaged to prove that the material involved is defective (it logically would otherwise bear the brunt of the problem), and exclusion (d) in the warranty is something they will no doubt try to apply. https://usa.yamaha.com/files/ocp/en_us/support/warranty/brass_woodwind/B_O_Wind_Instruments_Advantage_2010-07.pdf

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Orban

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

I will contact my dealer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: