• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piezobarrel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Piezobarrel Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEDn2FIJso

I bought one. Surprisingly cheap too. I've already got a wireless system ready to go and a bunch of electronics to run it through.

Posting this in case anyone else is interested in getting one.

Ps - try to ignore the presenter's mistake in calling Herb Alpert, Herb Albert.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything old is new again!

I have a piezoelectric pickup mounted on a trumpet mouthpiece, from the early 1980's. It was made by Barcus-Berry (https://patents.google.com/patent/US3543629), specifically for brass mouthpieces. I believe the same model was used by Miles Davis and Don Ellis.

Unfortunately, it didn't sound much like a trumpet, and it was great at picking up valve noise. I was intrigued by the wah-wah pedal sounds used by Bill Chase, Maynard Ferguson, and Tony Garuso, but I could never find a way to make it work for me.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a youtube recently where a young guy lamented the unavailability of any sort of piezo pickups today. I think he mentioned the BB you talk about.

The one from piezobarrel is entirely a different beast though I believe, and the sound is not a great departure from the sound of pure acoustic. Judging by the clip anyways. Check out the youtube in my original post.

It arrived today actually, and it looks to be very well made and very well packaged. I ordered a pre-drilled generic 3C for mine. The pickup itself is detachable which is a good feature.

I'll be using mine in solo performances and specifically at an experimental collective I belong to here. I like the idea of exploring electronic trumpet, particularly with EQ and compression. Some good reverb and an envelope filter maybe. In group performance, this style of signal is better than a mic I believe, due to the fact that the pickup picks up only the trumpet. No sound bleed from the other instruments into my powered PA speaker/monitor.
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere around the time this thread was first posted, I had gotten one for a solo on a rather thick arrangement of Steely Dan's "Black Friday" that was done for the HR Big Band in Germany. In this case, I ran it through a Cry Baby and a bit of delay with some amp effects to get the Brecker-ish sound - although he used an auto-wah; I wanted more direct control with my foot. I just took the house mic boom and put it to the face of my amp so that my open horn was no longer miced and the amp was going out through the PA. It came off very well, rather freed up the guitarist to put a little more hair on his solo as well, and added an unusually forward-leaning rock texture to an otherwise straightforward big-band/jazz ensemble program.

There is also a nifty jazz band arrangement of Santana's "Evil Ways" that has a trumpet solo come flying in on the double-time section that would be good for this. On the original recording Carlos had the vocals hang over while he wasted four bars to switch his own effects over and then he sneaks in and plays out to a fade. This has the trumpet wail for several choruses first, so the guitar can come in flying as well, totally open-ended and then the ensemble comes back in on backgrounds building to a nice shout chorus and "up"-ending instead of a fade.

I'm still working on building out my pedalboard to do all the things I want; then I just need to find some more rock-oriented solo passages to throw it down on, and/or maybe multi-track something myself, since that seems to be the "mandated" current trend, LOL
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is it working out for you furcifer?

Mine is still in its original packaging. Haven't had a reason to test it out yet. I do want to avoid over doing it. Maybe just a little EQ, maybe some compression and if I'm feeling frisky, maybe a little overdrive. I also think some subtle auto-wah would be a nice. Once this lockdown thing is over and performances start up again, I'll look at finally unwrapping mine.
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PiezoBarrel a little while ago, put the signal through a cheap DI unit into a Vocoloco and then into some Boss guitar pedals. I was underwhelmed with the sound and performance.

Replacing the cheap DI unit with a Radial Engineering SB4 DI box has been a complete revelation. Much better sound, greater stability and much more nuanced control through the VocoLoco and the effects pedals...

If you are suffering poor sound/ stability from your PiezoBarrel - try the little Stage Bug! (Don't overdo it on the gain control on the piezo itself either.)

Any recommendations for a wah pedal or auto wah that works well on trumpet?
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Q-tron for my envelope filter. Is that what you mean by auto-wah?
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that could be described as an auto-wah.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: