• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet valve compression comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adms

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Trumpet valve compression comparison Reply with quote

I've read some of what's been said about valve compression, especially the note at https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155766 about older instruments having looser valve casings to allow note "lipping," but I was wondering if anyone had an A/B test of how a trumpet plays differently with tight valves vs loose ones, all other things being equal.

Some background. I have a 1948 King Master Cornet. Good quality instrument. Stays pretty well in tune through the scale (for me, an amateur), but terrible valve compression as measured by plugging the slide and blowing / listening for a hiss or by the valve pop listed at http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/trumpet-valve-tightness-and-compression-issues/. It hisses when I blow and the pop for the valves goes away after almost no time at all.

On the other hand, I have an Allora pocket trumpet. Inexpensive. Fairly new. It has fantastic compression on the blow test (no hissing) and a slide / valve pop of several seconds for the 3rd valve. At the same time, it drifts across tuning through the scale (I know, it's a pocket trumpet, but bear with me).

The question is, if I rewound time and went back to when the King Master was new and had tighter valves, how would the experience change? Better intonation? Better note centering? Easier cold note starting? Would it just make it hard to lip it into tune in the places where I need to?

Thanks in advance,
Adam
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply the difference between a quality instrument and junk.

And this should be under "horns" not pedagogy.
adms

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. My mistake on the category. I was on another topic and clicked the new topic button. Is there a way to move it to where it ought to be?

As to the reply, the question concerns the fact that the good horn has terrible valve compression and the inexpensive one has good compression. How would the high quality horn perform differently with good compression, or is compression not much of a factor in determining playing quality until the valves are so loose they bind?

Thanks, and sorry again for the forum faux pas.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having the valves rebuilt on a few vintage Bach Strads (effectively restoring valve tolerances to like-new or better-than-new), I noticed a more dense sound, better slotting/centering of notes, better articulation, improved low and high register, and an all-around improved playing experience. If you were to have the valves rebuilt on your King Master, you'd notice an improvement in nearly all aspects of playing, and in my opinion, no drawbacks (other than the cost).

"lipping" notes in tune is not a sustainable way of playing. Just use the valve slides; it will help your endurance and evenness of sound quality.
adms

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@goby I appreciate the response. That answers the question.

I know you can re-plate and re-lap valves, but what about casings? Do they re-plate those if the wear is on that side? I read the paragraph at Getzen:

"With a bearing surface, it’s ideal for one to be surface be much harder than the other. This leads to consistent wear of both pieces and longer overall life. Harder pistons are preferred because worn casings are easier to repair. In the case of nickel pistons, it’s relatively easy to replate them slightly oversized and relap them into the worn valve casings to repair the valve section. Repair would be more costly and time consuming with worn out pistons."

I would think worn pistons would be the easier fix since you can remove and replate them, but perhaps I'm missing something. With worn casings, what do you do when you wear through (or is this not a practical concern)?

Where did you get your re-plating done?

Thanks for the info.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pistons are replated, not casings. They are two separate metals, and the wear is such that the piston is often larger in diameter once replated, and they are fit to the casing. Sometimes, a casing has to be bored for an oversize piston when they are replaced. My third valve on a Bach 37 I have owned for 41 years was damaged in 1985. I sent it to Anderson's, and they put a slightly oversized piston into the valve and made it fit. It has been perfect for the 36 years since.

I am not sure that Anderson's does all of that work any more, so there are a few really good repair folks with great reputations on here. Some are present on this site, so I will let them speak for themselves.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adms wrote:
... With worn casings, what do you do when you wear through (or is this not a practical concern)? ...

---------------------------
Casings would not usually be 'worn through'. The bore might be slightly out-of-round by a few 0.00x of an inch, and the fix would be to enlarge the bore to be 'round' and with a new diameter of 'original + 0.00y' - the piston for that round casing would then be enlarged (plated) to be round and be the proper fit in the casing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:

I am not sure that Anderson's does all of that work any more, so there are a few really good repair folks with great reputations on here. Some are present on this site, so I will let them speak for themselves.

They no longer do valves (as per Anderson's website). Some of that work is going to Badger State Repair & Supplies.
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the tiny clearances and thin metal in a trumpet piston valve casing, I think the casings are probably honed (an abrasive process) rather than "bored" (a cutting process)? This is probably just jargon to a musician but it matters to us manufacturing types.

Never having seriously worked on a trumpet in my life, if I had to do a "valve job" on one I think I'd start by honing the casings to get them round, then plating the pistons to bring the size up, then probably another abrasive turning process on the pistons to fit the casings. I envision something like a tool post grinder on a lathe.

But this is a stupid reply because I'm just speculating.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebolton wrote:
Given the tiny clearances and thin metal in a trumpet piston valve casing, I think the casings are probably honed (an abrasive process) rather than "bored" (a cutting process)? This is probably just jargon to a musician but it matters to us manufacturing types.

Never having seriously worked on a trumpet in my life, if I had to do a "valve job" on one I think I'd start by honing the casings to get them round, then plating the pistons to bring the size up, then probably another abrasive turning process on the pistons to fit the casings. I envision something like a tool post grinder on a lathe.

But this is a stupid reply because I'm just speculating.

Pretty close - but if its a fairly decent gap, you turn the pistons to true them, then hone as you suggest, build the pistons out with copper and clean that up a bit to leave enough room vs the honed casing for nickel plating, then hand lap the plated piston into the trued casing.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet valve compression comparison Reply with quote

adms wrote:

Some background. I have a 1948 King Master Cornet. Good quality instrument. Stays pretty well in tune through the scale (for me, an amateur), but terrible valve compression as measured by plugging the slide and blowing / listening for a hiss or by the valve pop listed at http://www.thetrumpetblog.com/trumpet-valve-tightness-and-compression-issues/. It hisses when I blow and the pop for the valves goes away after almost no time at all.

The question is, if I rewound time and went back to when the King Master was new and had tighter valves, how would the experience change? Better intonation? Better note centering? Easier cold note starting? Would it just make it hard to lip it into tune in the places where I need to?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

The King probably wasn't that tight a fit to begin with, they were like Conn and other manufacturers who fit new valves pretty loosely in the old days.

When I test a horn for response, and it loses response in the low register, that's a sure sign of badly leaking valves.
https://yourbrass.com/
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who's read my recent posts knows that I like to talk/complain about my Blessing. It has almost nonexistent valve compression, yet it has the best lower register of any of my horns. It sounds decent in the mid range, but above the staff is like playing into a brick wall. For comparison, my best horn (YTR-6335H) has excellent compression and plays well in all registers. Its lower register is a bit less secure than the Blessing, but there's no way of knowing if that's because of valve compression.

TLDR: horn with bad compression has a great lower register but terrible upper register. Horn with great compression plays well in all registers. FWIW.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us are probably aware of the story about Mendez trying out the prototype Olds Mendez model trumpets.

Apparently, Olds had tried just about everything to produce an instrument that would please him but had had no luck. In desperation, they measured the valve clearance on the old French Besson trumpet Mendez had been playing and found that the valves were very worn and loose.

Olds set up a prototype Mendez trumpet with equally leaky valves and Mendez loved it. He had apparently gotten used to the response of the excessively loose valves over the years. Production Mendez models had valves that were nice and tight, I believe.

I am not sure what to make of this, but it seems different players may respond in different ways to a trumpet's valve fit.

In my own case, I had a Burbank Benge trumpet with pretty poor valve compression that nonetheless played beautifully. My instructor at the time, the principal of a major symphony, agreed. After having the valves refitted, the horn was a dog.

Since then, all my horns have had tight valves and I like it that way.

Steve
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMonteiro wrote:
Anybody who's read my recent posts knows that I like to talk/complain about my Blessing. It has almost nonexistent valve compression, yet it has the best lower register of any of my horns. It sounds decent in the mid range, but above the staff is like playing into a brick wall. For comparison, my best horn (YTR-6335H) has excellent compression and plays well in all registers. Its lower register is a bit less secure than the Blessing, but there's no way of knowing if that's because of valve compression.

TLDR: horn with bad compression has a great lower register but terrible upper register. Horn with great compression plays well in all registers. FWIW.

I'm talking about looseness well beyond Blessing. 90-year-old Calicchios, Boston 3-Star cornets - no compression and in the case of both instruments - unplayable.
https://yourbrass.com/
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Many of us are probably aware of the story about Mendez trying out the prototype Olds Mendez model trumpets.

Apparently, Olds had tried just about everything to produce an instrument that would please him but had had no luck. In desperation, they measured the valve clearance on the old French Besson trumpet Mendez had been playing and found that the valves were very worn and loose.

Olds set up a prototype Mendez trumpet with equally leaky valves and Mendez loved it. He had apparently gotten used to the response of the excessively loose valves over the years. Production Mendez models had valves that were nice and tight, I believe.

I am not sure what to make of this, but it seems different players may respond in different ways to a trumpet's valve fit.

In my own case, I had a Burbank Benge trumpet with pretty poor valve compression that nonetheless played beautifully. My instructor at the time, the principal of a major symphony, agreed. After having the valves refitted, the horn was a dog.

Since then, all my horns have had tight valves and I like it that way.

Steve

Lest anyone think Mendez didn't know his stuff from that (true) story: He had many Besson trumpets, he just was particularly fond of the high resistance of one that played that way because the valves leaked. When that became a topic of conversation, an Olds employee quickly buffed a set of valves to make them leak a little - not a lot - and presto, the resistance he was looking for. The production horns then gained some leadpipe refinement and other details that added a bit of resistance, and were produced with some of the tightest valves I have seen on an Olds model. I have heard a couple more might have been buffed down for him, but given his preference years later for a particular configuration of the Olds Custom (still trying to find out exactly what configuration from the person who spec'd those horns), with tight valves, it was never really about making valves leak.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

They no longer do valves (as per Anderson's website). Some of that work is going to Badger State Repair & Supplies.

It is my understanding that Anderson is still plating valves for some of the top rebuilders. They no longer do the complete valve job.
GeronPG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story that I think fits here: a friend, a strong lead player with a strong high range, had played a Besson Meha (post-war, early 50's manufacture, I believe)_ for years. He tried other horns, always went back to the Meha. He used a lot of air, and it felt "free blowing" to him.
At some point the valves were worn enough that he had it rebuilt, and hated it afterwards, so much that he sold it. He'd evidently gotten used to the blow/feel of the "loose" tolerances.
He sold it to a mutual friend, that friend passed way too young, and I bought it from the estate.
It's my lead horn for big band. I'm not a monster player, but it serves me well. It's kind of deceptive, it "speaks" and projects well. You don't hear it when you're playing, but you can hear it off the back wall, if there is one. And I end up less tired playing it on a gig. Every now and then I try one of my other trumpets for lead work, and end up going back to the Meha, too.
I think we all "adjust" to our horns and get used to them. As they wear and change gradually, it's probably imperceptible to us, until it gets really bad, or we play another horn and feel the difference.

Bach 43 lightweight w/ 43 leadpipe
Bach Flugelhorn
Bach C large bore
Benge (LA) D
Stomvi Elite Piccolo
Yamaha Cornet
Schmidt (B & S) 37LTDS
Besson Meha (early '50's)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: