• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

teaching spitbuzz to small children

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetlogic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: teaching spitbuzz to small children Reply with quote

I am trying to teach my 6 year old nephew how to spitbuzz. Have you ever taught anyone this young? What tips do you have for explaining the concepts. Right now he can spit from about a C to a G, but I want to get it cleaner.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Articulate like a snare drum."

I think even a 6 year old will gain some benefit from the correct concept. Range, power, and endurance end when the forward blown air overpowers the lips' ability/strength to grip backwards against the tongue and teeth. The impending collapse is always preceded by a loss of both focus of tone and centered, brilliant intonation. The instructor's keen ears keep the student on track until the student can hear it for him/herself.

The purpose of the spit buzz is to create a brief explosion against the properly formed lip grip in order to stress the grip and build the necessary lip strength. The spit buzz is done without horn or mouthpiece so neither act as crutches to circumvent the development of the lip grip.

I'm not suggesting you read this explanation to a 6 year old. But, I think the teacher can start the student in the right direction then, in as simplified terms as necessary, add the additional concepts every time the student gets the sound right. I find that even young students can hear the right sound and have success duplicating it when repeatedly pointed in the correct direction.

Please keep us posted on your nephew's progress. The more we can steer young students in the best possible direction the more they will enjoy this (potentially) great instrument.
trumpetlogic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do my best and keep you posted. I had him try exhaling before spitbuzzing, and that seemed to help him create a cleaner sound both when he buzzed and when he played the trumpet. Looks like monitoring overblowing will be an important part right from the start.

I would not have recommended teaching him trumpet at this age, but he has been asking to learn how to play trumpet for some time now. My sister and I figured since we have the resources and ability, we'd give it a try. He's using my pocket trumpet, which has a good sound and is much easier for him to hold than any of my other trumpets or my cornet. His mouthpiece is a Bach 10 1/2E and it seems to be working out well for him. When he is bigger and shows more progress, we'll get him his own trumpet.
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this Trumpetlogic?

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
trumpetlogic

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. I even forgot I posted this.

My nephew is now in 6th grade. He has a consistent E over high C. He can regularly hit the G above that and I've recently heard him hit a DHC. One of the band teachers who plays trumpet, yet had never heard him play before, heard him from another room and thought it was an adult playing because of the range and tone quality. He's got a beginner trumpet from the school for insurance and repair purposes (he's pretty careful with it, but who knows about the other kids), and he's using my old SC3 mouthpiece.

His sister is in 3rd grade and she already can play a high C. She's using my old W46 mouthpiece, which she chose out of my mouthpiece collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: